#91 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostMacDaddy, on 10 August 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

What DAW do you use?

Reason (version 8) and occasionally Ableton Live ('Lite' version 9).

#92 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Recording, Production, Photography

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

reaper is the least system hungry DAW, wonderfully simple.
would echo what skol says, get as much ram and processor speed as is possible, and to ease pressure on the system record to an external harddive.
i have an old laptop which has about 3 gig of ram in it which runs reaper, but i can't live monitor without high latency so memory and processor speed :)

#93 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

Scan do a range of Pro Audio Windows laptops that they design for DAW use: http://www.scan.co.u...cs/form-factors

I get all my components from them and they're pretty good.

View PostRockfordStone, on 10 August 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

and to ease pressure on the system record to an external harddive.

I've not heard this before. Surely an internal SATA-3 hard drive (especially an SSD) will be way faster than an external one over USB? Motherboards will have to cope with the data running through the USB bus just as much as it would internally through the SATA bus so I'm not sure how this could free up resources.
  • Main bass: Fender Standard Precision (MIM)
  • Other basses: Yamaha TRBX 504, Squier modified VM Jazz: KiOgon wiring loom and Entwistle JBXN pickups
  • MarkBass CMD 121P
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/mornats.

#94 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

i've heard it from several practicioners of the art.
its basically seperating the processes. so in effect the computer is not reading the system and the recording from the same drive and trying to make sense of it.

almost like dipping bread in soup. if you throw the bread in the soup you have a soupy bread mess, take the bread from a plate and dip it in the soup and you have a much neater easier food for your taste buds to process... but if you like soupy bread.

for what we do its probably not noticeable. i run 3 internall HDD's so i don't record to the same one that is running my system. doesnt have to be external, but he is searching laptops not desktops

#95 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

Ah, gotcha! I run off a desktop and record onto a different drive to my OS drive myself so I'm doing just that. Totally forgot the OP was looking for a laptop for a moment and may not have multiple internal drives. So yep, what you're saying is spot on (but you knew that of course hehe).

How much ram do you by the way? My almost-one-year-old system has 16GB and whilst I've not noticed it running out of ram I tend to upgrade it as I go and ram prices are fairly decent at the moment. It doubles as a gaming PC so I try not to skimp on anything. I'd probably say 8GB at a minimum for a new recording laptop though and 16 if you can. Not many will come with 32 I imagine.
  • Other basses: Yamaha TRBX 504, Squier modified VM Jazz: KiOgon wiring loom and Entwistle JBXN pickups
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#96 RockfordStone

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

View PostMornats, on 10 August 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

Ah, gotcha! I run off a desktop and record onto a different drive to my OS drive myself so I'm doing just that. Totally forgot the OP was looking for a laptop for a moment and may not have multiple internal drives. So yep, what you're saying is spot on (but you knew that of course hehe).

How much ram do you by the way? My almost-one-year-old system has 16GB and whilst I've not noticed it running out of ram I tend to upgrade it as I go and ram prices are fairly decent at the moment. It doubles as a gaming PC so I try not to skimp on anything. I'd probably say 8GB at a minimum for a new recording laptop though and 16 if you can. Not many will come with 32 I imagine.
i built my pc with a quad core i5 processor, I only have 16gb ram and that covers all my gaming and recording needs.
ram is cheap as chips these days

#97 xgsjx

Thingy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostMacDaddy, on 05 August 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Another laptop for DAW question:

a man on the internet said... minimum spec recommended is a 7200 RPM hard drive, 8 gig RAM, i5/i7 processor.

Any advice on a reasonably priced laptop in this spec range?
Reaper will run on just about any laptop. But like is said, get as big a hard drive as you can. 8 gig ram is more than enough, unless you're running a whole load of fx on multiple tracks.
If you're liking GarageBand on the iPad, it might be worth considering a MacBook. GarageBand comes free with it & when you get to a point where you need more control & professional features, Logic Pro X is just like GarageBand but with everything opened up for you to play with.
I've recently gotten a MacBook Pro & it runs everything with ease. But you could spend £1k less & have a non apple laptop, run Reaper & buy some VSTs (or you could run Reaper on a MacBook :) ).

#98 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostMornats, on 03 January 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

It's worth checking out the ASIO4ALL drivers if your interface's own aren't up to the job. http://www.asio4all.com/

I tried them with my Focusrite Forte and noticed lower latency. Not a huge amount, but even small amounts count in this situation.

I use focusrite 2i2 and asio4all, still lots of latency.
Gear:

Steve Harris signature P-bass, Royal Blue MIJ, fitted with SPB-4
Squier C vibe jazz bass, white with tortoise pickguard and Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood neck
Squier Matt Freeman with fitted SPB-4, vintage white with maple neck

Squier telecaster electric guitar black with white pickguard, maple neck
Cruzer electric guitar, rosewood neck, sunburst with pearl white tortoise pickguard

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal

#99 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:20 PM

View PostSkol303, on 16 January 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

Yep! :)

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and 2i4 are very good quality 'budget' interfaces. I use a 2i4 myself, as it has the additional output sockets I need.

Dead easy to use. No latency (on my system) and the recording quality is good for the money.

There will always be better, more expensive options if you want to spend money. But for £100-£150 the Focusrite Scarlett products are great.

I just bought Focusrite scarlett 2i2 and cannot rid off the latency with windows 7. any suggestions?
Gear:

Squier C vibe jazz bass, white with tortoise pickguard and Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood neck

Cruzer electric guitar, rosewood neck, sunburst with pearl white tortoise pickguard

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal

#100 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostSH73, on 04 November 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

I just bought Focusrite scarlett 2i2 and cannot rid off the latency with windows 7. any suggestions?

I run an old Mac and my Focusrite interface (2i4) works fine; no latency that I can notice.

Sorry, that's not very helpful is it!? Does your PC have any internal sound drivers that might be causing this problem?

Perhaps contact Focusrite direct and ask them to advise - I've found them very helpful in dealing with enquiries.

#101 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

I've managed to decrease latency but it's still there.Thanks for advice I'll give them a call.
Gear:

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal

#102 BigRedX

RockinRollin VampireMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

I've found that the easiest way to get of latency is not to use software monitoring, but get a basic but good quality small mixer to record and monitor through.

My Music:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#103 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,594 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostBigRedX, on 02 December 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

I've found that the easiest way to get of latency is not to use software monitoring, but get a basic but good quality small mixer to record and monitor through.
Me too - in fact the more functions I can cover with hardware, the easier it is for the computer. I think software based solutions are convenient but they also become redundant after a couple of years.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, Future Impact, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads, Trace Elliot Hexavalve

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#104 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostKiwi, on 02 December 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

Me too - in fact the more functions I can cover with hardware, the easier it is for the computer. I think software based solutions are convenient but they also become redundant after a couple of years.

True. Hardware definitely takes the strain off your computer's CPU. If you're running a newish computer however (which I'm not!), then it becomes much less of an issue.

The snag with software is more around longevity in my opinion. Will your DAW of choice still be supported in future? There was certainly a lot of hullabaloo when Logic switched to being Mac-only, after being bought by Apple. I suppose that applies to any software, but it can be an issue if you've invested substantially in platform-specific plug-ins, only to discover that your DAW of choice is no longer viable.

I've personally been using Reason on and off since 2000 and I can still open the files I created using Reason version 1 (not that I'd want to... my production skills were even worse back then!). So software redundancy has never been an issue I've encountered. Yet ;)

#105 silverfoxnik

"Waiting for the gift of sound & vision.."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

Hi Folks

I've just decided to venture into the DAW world and have an 2010 iMac with El Capitan as the OS, and which has Garageband on it. So far so good, and as a next step, I've bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB here on BC to use with it..

Having downloaded the drivers for it, it seems to be working, the lights are on etc, etc..and I can hear my bass when it's plugged into it via a pair of headphones.

But no matter what I do, I can't get Garageband to recognise the signal from my bass, even though I think I've set up the relevant settings in Garageband in order for that to happen.

Has anyone got any useful tips/advice on what i need to do to make this work??

Thanks

Nik
So many basses, so little time...

My Feedback

www.replaysounds.co.uk

#106 SH73

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

View Postsilverfoxnik, on 01 May 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Hi Folks

I've just decided to venture into the DAW world and have an 2010 iMac with El Capitan as the OS, and which has Garageband on it. So far so good, and as a next step, I've bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB here on BC to use with it..

Having downloaded the drivers for it, it seems to be working, the lights are on etc, etc..and I can hear my bass when it's plugged into it via a pair of headphones.

But no matter what I do, I can't get Garageband to recognise the signal from my bass, even though I think I've set up the relevant settings in Garageband in order for that to happen.

Has anyone got any useful tips/advice on what i need to do to make this work??

Thanks

Nik

I've no experience with garage band.Did you make sure you selected the correct input in Garage band ie the same you plugged your bass in.Also on Focusrite interface box you can flick between instrument or line input depending if you use guitar or microphone.
Have you tried options menu in garage band and in preferences selected the correct audio.
I once phoned focusrite tech and they were helpfull.
Gear:

Fender Rumble 100w
Hartke DI pedal

Fender Mustang 1
Ibanez TS-9
Cry baby wah pedal

#107 BottomE

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

Great thread
Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, you could be missing out on the joke of the century.

Basses: Hamer Cruise wid 2-Tek, US Fender Jazz + Audere PreAmp, US Fender Jazz Special, Squier 93 Precision upgraded to hell, Yamaha BB1100S, My first ever bass - Columbus P Bass Copy circa 1978.
Output: Little Mark II, TC Electronic Cabs, Sadowsky Preamp, EBS Compressor

My Feedback
Soundcloud Stuff

#108 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

Housekeeping alert!

I'm going to review and generally tidy up this thread next chance I get... this is going to involve deleting some posts just to keep it all 'on topic' and geared up to beginners.

So please don't be offended if your post(s) disappear! It's not because I hate you; it's simply because I believe your contributions are worthless :D

I'm also going to subsume the existing How To Make A Good Looking And Sounding Youtube Video topic within this thread. The current thread hasn't been updated since 2015, so I think it's time to give it a new home here.

That is all. As you were.

Edited by Skol303, 27 June 2016 - 04:03 PM.

#109 lowdown

ďAll music is folk music.I ainít never heard a horse sing a song

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostSkol303, on 27 June 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

So please don't be offended if your post(s) disappear! It's not because I hate you; it's simply because I believe your contributions are worthless :D

Blimey, Paul. That is sad, people remembering what they have posted on Basschat. :lol:
Sorry mate, ignore me and carry on.
"Never Look At The Trombones. It Only Encourages Them." - Richard Strauss

Soundcloud

Facebook

Feedback

#110 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

View Postlowdown, on 28 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Blimey, Paul. That is sad, people remembering what they have posted on Basschat. :lol:

Haha! Well, most people here are probably drunk anyway, so little chance of them remembering anything :D

#111 lowdown

ďAll music is folk music.I ainít never heard a horse sing a song

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostSkol303, on 28 June 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

Haha! Well, most people here are probably drunk anyway, so little chance of them remembering anything :D

:D
"Never Look At The Trombones. It Only Encourages Them." - Richard Strauss

Soundcloud

Facebook

Feedback

#112 51m0n

Grand Wizard of the Knights Martial

• Members
  • 5,420 posts
  • Interests:Tracking
    Mixing
    Mastering

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

I use a Sony Vaio from about four years ago, i7 processor, 8Gb RAM, with a western digital caviar black 750Gb hd.

I regularly mix tunes with up to 100 tracks, and record 16 channels simultaneously with ease using Reaper. Hence the very fast hard drive.

I use an eSata external drive for backups never needed it for direct work.

Any mid to upper spec laptop from the last four or five years will be fine for starters and simpler work imo.

Roscoe Century Standard V / Vester Custom Shop 4 with EMG J-Series pickups / Squire VMJ fretless
Markbass SA450 / Bergantino AE410 / Barefaced Big Twin II
Focusrite Compounder / Korg DTR-2000 / Maxon AF-9 / / MXR Bass Auto-Q / Source Audio Tri-Mod Phaser/T-Rex Chameleon
DR SS Lo-Riders

Mister Super Juice

Kit Richardson EP Mixed & Mastered by me....
Recording 101 Blog
Recording 101 Blog Discussion Thread

If your source sound isnt fantastic you cant make a fantastic recording of it....

#113 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

For anyone interested, you can now download a handy, printable PDF copy of the Beginner's Guide from my website:

http://skolsounds.we...m/sessions.html

(^ scroll to the bottom of this page)

Feel free to copy, share and generally do as thou wilt with it :)

#114 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

Nice site :) And you look *nothing* like your avatar which is disappointing :P
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#115 Skol303

Needs to get out more

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostMornats, on 09 November 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Nice site And you look *nothing* like your avatar which is disappointing

Cheers Paul! That's not actually me... it's me wearing the face of my last victim :mellow: (ugly b****** that he was).

#116 Brixton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:17 PM

YouTube: ''Brixton - Closer'' -this song was recorded with a German made '99 Warwick Streamer Standard clean/direct (no pre-amp, compression, nothing) to the desk. Without question, the best bass I've ever played (studio or live). My Rickenbacker 4003, Music Man Stingray & Fender Jazz no longer leave their bespoke cases. The Warwick has the best traits of all 3 and none of their downsides. The only problem is finding another Streamer just like it as a backup. Please, do have a listen.

#117 MisterT

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Just caught up with this thread, cheers SKOL (pun intended). See you at the Chester bass bash hopefully.

ERROR pun not found.

I'll just add to this - borrowed a gen2 Focusrite 2i2s versus my gen1 2i4. Latency drops from about 14ms down to 4ms (in total). Big difference when playing into Ableton using the built in effects. I don't find 14ms a huge problem but it's enough for me to want to upgrade before there's a glut of gen1's on ebay!

Edited by MisterT, 21 January 2017 - 10:51 AM.

Cort A4 Artisan | Fender MiM Jazz | Eden WTX500 | Vanderkley 112 MNT

#118 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostMisterT, on 21 January 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

I'll just add to this - borrowed a gen2 Focusrite 2i2s versus my gen1 2i4. Latency drops from about 14ms down to 4ms (in total). Big difference when playing into Ableton using the built in effects. I don't find 14ms a huge problem but it's enough for me to want to upgrade before there's a glut of gen1's on ebay!

I've got a Focusrite Forte which they stopped supporting a few years ago so no more driver updates. Lag and general stability are the main issues (although I can't rule out other factors causing instability). So anyway, I've been thinking about the Scarlett gen2 as they seem to have pretty nice latency and shouldn't get dropped shortly after release by Focusrite. The Forte does sound beautiful though.
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#119 lurksalot

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Interests:mostly base ........oh and bass

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:16 PM

we'll see what nexts months comp brings and if it guitars I might invest in 2nd Gen one myself
When I said lower the frequency , I didn't mean only on christmas and birthdays, blue moons Preston Guilds

Please Vote in the BC Monthly Challenges , composition and photographic , you know it makes sense.

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#120 MisterT

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

I was looking for a direct comparison and my mate just loaned me his so you can't get any better than side by side. Didn't want to give it back :)
Cort A4 Artisan | Fender MiM Jazz | Eden WTX500 | Vanderkley 112 MNT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users