Why become a member? ×

Newbie Hello from South wales

Gomez68

Hi guys , I'm a new raw forty five ur old who just bought my first bass (sound gear sr 300). I am taking lessons from Jon Caulfield in cardiff and really loving it! Apart from the frustrations of flying fingers and dexterity I love learning the bass and the tuition from Jon. All I want to do is be able to play the songs I like and hold my own whilst jamming with friends! So here I am ha 😃

Hi Gomez68,

From a fellow South Walian,
There are a few of us around this neck of the woods

As FuNkShUi says, you've got a good tutor - that's a great start!
I'd recommend coming along to the next local Bass Bash
as run by Gelfin on this forum

That way, you get to speak to local bass players,
and chat about anything bass related
Maybe have a bit of a jam with one or two other local bass players,
and see if you can pick up some more pointers?

But I'd say, join a band - just for a bit of a jam
Do you know any local friendly guitarists or drummers?
Open mic nights might be another way to meet other musicians....

Cheers now,
welcome to BC
and hope to see you around

Good luck
Marc

That's great thank you for your input and time ! I appreciate your advice! It's going to be while before I could jam with anyone ha but yes I have a few mates who play guitar so when the basics kick in andy hands behave and of course confidence il do just that! What a great welcome thank you again.

Fair play im a second lesson in and Jon is amazing bassist and teacher! It's just time and patience to start to nail the basics ! I love the bass and music is my passion but unfournatley skill and music theory is zero ha but hey it's all about the journey! Guys again thank you for your tips and great welcome !

Yes, it's all about the journey :)
Just try working a few simple songs out

Make sure your bass is in tune, and try jamming along to a few CD's / MP3's
But make them simple tunes to start with

... that way, you get to learn how to keep time
and get thinking about where the notes are etc

And just keep loving the bass, of course

Thanks mark ! My music taste is quite eclectic ! Any good simple bass lines to play to? So just at along to a music cd so no need to buy fancy software. I just bought a metronome so I got work out how to use it! I said was zero at music ha thanks for great help!

Welcome to BC - you'll find you'll spend a lot of time here, I'm sure :-)

Have fun with your playing - playing music is so rewarding. Set yourself achievable goals and don't get too frustrated when you hit 'plateaus' and feel you're not progressing as much as you hoped .... it will pass and you will progress :-)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Gomez68' timestamp='1415219733' post='2598114']
Hi discreet thanks for the welcome! Been looking over the forums and it's brilliant !
[/quote]

Youuuuu'rreeeee welcome.
I've learnt more about bass, gear and bass-playing on here in four years than the previous forty. :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1415021395' post='2595678']

But I'd say, join a band - just for a bit of a jam
Do you know any local friendly guitarists or drummers?
Open mic nights might be another way to meet other musicians....

Good luck
Marc
[/quote]

Hiya Gomez from another Cardiff bloke. I agree with Marc - if you've got any mates who play and are likely to be supportive, get together and make a bit of noise. That's where the joy of being a musician REALLY kicks in!

Don't be shy about asking what you might think are simple questions in the forums - we've all been there.

[quote name='Gomez68' timestamp='1415011633' post='2595515']
H Al and John. Any tips on first starting out on bass? I got a great bass tutor so that's a start! Just looking for pointers to get the most out of learning and playing?
[/quote]
I think taking lessons, and being very aware of how much you don't know is an awesomely good start, Gomez. People get into some very bad habits, and can get very disheartened, from trying to push their way through alone. Best of luck, you're starting from a good place.

There is no such things as a stupid (on-topic) question. Just ask, someone here will know for certain pretty much anything you'd want to know. Everyone was a newbie and beginner once.

Edited by Geek99