Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1415705318' post='2602798']
Im actually following your Introduction to recording threads Skol. Got a Focusright Scarlett, looking at getting monitors this weekend, just need to learn a DAW. I have used Mixcraft but might take a look at that Reaper this weekend....
[/quote]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I'm not familiar with Mixcraft but Reaper is great. I don’t use it myself but have dabbled… and it gets consistently good reviews on here and elsewhere. Definitely worth a look.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Good decision on the Focusrite too. Superb interfaces for the money, along with TASCAM and a few others.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]I wouldn’t worry [i]too[/i] much about needing studio monitors. I haven’t used any myself for three years! I still mix solely on headphones and reference my tracks by playing them on my iPod, car stereo, etc. I do have a pair of monitors but they’re too large for the room I currently work in (something I'm hoping to remedy with a [/size][size=4]garage conversion next year).[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]But… that’s not to say you [i]shouldn’t[/i] buy a pair of monitors. They are by far the best way of checking a mix. It’s just that you can do a reasonable job without them, with practice and some patience.[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]PS: good to hear that the Beginner’s Guide is proving useful :)[/size][/size][/font]

Edited by Skol303

OK then , I'm in
[b]link removed sorry[/b]

I still cant get to the point where my voice sounds any good and thats a shame because I keep putting more sounds in to disguise it and the tune just started to sound a bit busy , I got it quite good at one point then everything I did made it worse , so lots of backwards engineering , 1 step forward 2 back :rolleyes:

On the plus side this was great fun to do this month, I tried lots of things and learnt a fair bit doing it , I really enjoyed putting it together and even better , we have just had the fibre put in the village and the upload took less than a minute , stroll on , who'd have thought it .

I hope you enjoy it

ed to add

I have done a bit more work on the production , and will put the new one up shortly sorry all ,

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415828353' post='2604326']
OK then , I'm in
[url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/dance-hall-shoop"]https://soundcloud.c...ance-hall-shoop[/url]

I still cant get to the point where my voice sounds any good and thats a shame because I keep putting more sounds in to disguise it and the tune just started to sound a bit busy , I got it quite good at one point then everything I did made it worse , so lots of backwards engineering , 1 step forward 2 back :rolleyes:

On the plus side this was great fun to do this month, I tried lots of things and learnt a fair bit doing it , I really enjoyed putting it together and even better , we have just had the fibre put in the village and the upload took less than a minute , stroll on , who'd have thought it .

I hope you enjoy it
[/quote]

Yes, I've been wondering if extra fibre will help with my downloading. :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Oh, the performance..? Too early, son. This will need concentration. I'm not one to rush in and fling out sundry compliments so soon. Patience; I'll wait until my ears stop ringing and listen again. Maybe. Tomorrow. Maybe. Normally, it would be time for tea; perhaps a good measure of something stronger will do, for medicinal reasons, of course. Hmm. I think I may find something urgent to do tomorrow. Let me think, now. Have I got any paint left to watch dry..? Hmm...[/size]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415829682' post='2604345']
Ah Dad , it is your inspirational shooping that made me do it , still, your ears are still free for a continued treat even when watching paint dry , and with any luck it might make it last longer :D
[/quote]

On second thoughts, I'll be looking for a shorter occupation, now that you mention it. Something that will need listening to. Now, where did I put that collection of Home Service shipping forecasts, August 1950 to July 1953..? I'll just check that they've been correctly sorted. Ah, that's better. Now let's just see where we are... "[i]Southeast Iceland. North 7 to severe gale 9. Heavy snow showers. Good, becoming poor in showers. Moderate icing[/i]..." Ah, sheer bliss...

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415829426' post='2604338']...I think I will leave mine in as a filler :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: [size=4]I've done another couple since, and have another still on the hob. If it wasn't for the impossibility to simply update the Soundcloud file, I'd probably have already swapped at least once..! Not all are fit for consumption (indeed, are any of them..? [/size] :blush:[size=4] ), but, when the pic is good, there are so many ideas that come forth. Am I allowed to enter twenty or so..? No..? OK, I was only asking..! No need to get shirty..! :angry: Yes, I'm going. I know where the door is; no need to push..! How rude. Just wait until a Mod gets to hear of this. Oh, hang on a tick... :rolleyes:[/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415867233' post='2604540']
Entertaining stuff so far!
And Douglas - it was me wot chose the pic...
[/quote]

Humble apologies; I'll correct immediately, Guv. Old age, that's my excuse. That's always my excuse. Now where was I..? Ah yes,the crossword...

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415873262' post='2604637']
:lol: I didn't really mean as an entry to hold the space , more as an 'album' filler to pad the gaps out between the good ones :D
[/quote]

I thought that slot was reserved for me and Bilbo..? :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

[color=#800000][b][size=5]Voting ends tomorrow night in the BC (re)Mixing Challenge![/size][/b][/color]

[b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244967-remixing-challenge-voting/"]LINKY HERE[/url][/b]

Please support your fellow Recording forum brethren by having a listen and choosing your favourite.

Cheers :drinks:

Sorry to be a pain to those that have commented but I am doing a bit more work on my entry this month , I have been having a really good play with Reaper and have learnt a few more tricks both with recording and production , so I will see if I can polish this t**d just a little , or at least roll it in some glitter