Why become a member? ×

November Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]November’s Composition Challenge is now underway.[/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner [b]Leonard Smalls[/b]…[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

[size=4]By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/size]

[size=4][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/size]

[size=4][b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/size]

[size=4]For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: http://www.freesound.org/[/size]

[size=4][b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/size]

[size=4]If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.[/size]

[color=#800000][b][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 23rd November.[/size][/b][/color]

[size=4]Go! :)[/size]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415042929' post='2596070']
The pic is called "Last Days of Disco", and was taken at the legendary Studio 54 night club in New York...
[/quote]

If I could write a Wang Chung song for this it would fit quite well :D , HMmm OK noodling time :o

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1415046038' post='2596118']
Link doesn't seem to work, Dad. How am I supposed to plagiarise you if the link doesn't work?
[/quote]

Look, do you want that vote or not..? Fix your blinking browser and get composing..!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1415043341' post='2596080']
Here, then, is my entry...

[color=#0000cd][u]'Last days of Disco'...[/u][/color]

Enjoy.
[/quote]

I like the influence of Cage in this piece...

And Mr Lurks, may I suggest a cross of Divine and Wang Chung with a touch of Sylvester and Chic?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1415104334' post='2596654']
link isn't working on any of my browsers
[/quote]

It's a cunning ruse! ;) Dad is nearly always first to finish his composition, so he's pulling our legs with a post 10 minutes after I set up this month's challenge.

Although to be honest, I [i]did[/i] on click it half-expecting him to have finished something already.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1415109594' post='2596748']
It's a cunning ruse! ;) Dad is nearly always first to finish his composition, so he's pulling our legs with a post 10 minutes after I set up this month's challenge.

Although to be honest, I [i]did[/i] on click it half-expecting him to have finished something already.
[/quote]

You have gone above and beyond your call of duty as a mod there.
I would have let that run for a few more days. :yarr: :D

Edited by lowdown

:ph34r:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :lol:[/size]

[size=4]... although I can, if I choose, edit the post later with a [i]real [/i]link and claim to be faster than Wyatt Earp..![/size]
[size=4]In truth, despite having updated all of my usual visual inputs (avatar, screen background etc...), I am still in cogitation mode. This involves struggling to find a theme, or having several from which I am unable to choose, along with fruitless trials using various tools (BIAB, LooperMan, GP6...) looking for a baseline (no, that's 'base', not 'bass'; I'm a drummer, remember..?). There is, in this process, a certain element of serendipity, the control of which, unfortunately, I have not yet the key. Once the ball starts to roll, there is a momentum which (here a pause, to touch wood; pats forehead...) results in a speedy execution and finalisation. The complement to momentum is inertia; that's where I'm stuck right now. 'Twill come, I'm sure; I'll be able to lay an egg at least as golden as that for the October challenge. I've just got to find a cure for inspirational constipation. :blush:[/size]

Been off today so I've laid down bass, drums and keys.
Not only that but I've also written lyrics. Unfortunately my singing is so bad it'll take a month just to do sufficient retakes and to plaster over the bum notes'n'stuff with reverb and backwards noises to disguise the awfulness of it...
Perhaps I should stick with instrumental!

[size=4][quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1415142251' post='2597267'][/size]
Gonna try and give this one a go!

And yeah, I clicked on Dad's link several times before it clicked :) (pun intended)
[/quote]

Come on in, the water's lovely..!

(...[i]and I clicked on the link myself a couple of times. Blasted memory..! Now then, let's just see where we are... Ah, yes; Basschat. Hmm... Have I drunk my tea or not..?[/i])

After quite some research, and not a little midnight oil, I finally managed to fix the broken link in my previous post (... can be found [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248605-november-composition-challenge-get-recording/page__view__findpost__p__2596080"]here...[/url] ). Serves me right for being too hasty, I suppose. :blush:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1415090081' post='2596453']

I like the influence of Cage in this piece...

And Mr Lurks, may I suggest a cross of Divine and Wang Chung with a touch of Sylvester and Chic?
[/quote]

You may indeed sir , but you are likely to find that it sounds more like boney M with an Anthea and Donna influence :)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1415193091' post='2597652']
You may indeed sir , but you are likely to find that it sounds more like boney M with an Anthea and Donna influence :)
[/quote]

Is that Donna K. Babb or Donna. N. Blitson..? :blink:[size=4] [/size]