Why become a member? ×

Rush at their best?

xilddx

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1420495848' post='2650093']
I raise you:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFz3ov7Kn0[/media]
[/quote]

Not seen that one before, how did I miss that?

I know they get slagged off a lot for making all the silly film clips but I just love them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1415060540' post='2596361']
Exhilarating stuff ..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0m0Gcblp0[/media]
[/quote]

I like this video because I'm in it at 1min 30s (or the side of my face is) behind the guys jumping around stood with my ex who now lives Down Under.

Saw them first also at the Colston Hall Bristol may1979, hemispheres tour with Max Webster as support. Great gig. Saw them again Hammy odeon, moving pictures tour. Always liked them especially Geddys playing but left them behind after that & havent heard any of their more recent stuff. Got a bit of a listening pilgrimage to do thanks to this thread! Check out Max Webster too, if you've never heard of them before. Albums "a million vacations" & "universal juvenilies" worth a listen. The track "battle scar" is Max W & Rush playing together, titanic!

A mate of mine introduced me to Max Webster's stuff a few years back as he'd been a big fan. Kim Mitchell a bit of an underrated guitarist. I was surprised how Zappa-esque some of their material was. I think they were on one of the 1979 TOTP's programmes from last year, their only appearance and slightly incorrectly introduced as 'The Max Webster Band'.

[quote name='SingleMalt' timestamp='1420325138' post='2648186']
I wonder how many people were inspired to get into Bass by Geddy.

I know I certainly was.
[/quote]
Not inspired to take up the bass, but most certainly inspired to take it seriously...

I was in a band with some mates at school, and as there was an overabundance of guitarists and I was the least experienced/competant, I wound up on bass. I had got to grips with most of the basics but wasn't really that enthused about playing bass, until I heard LA Villa Strangiato on the Fluff Freeman rock show... totally blew my mind both as a band, and that you could achieve that sound and skill on a bass. Wow. :blink: Went out the next day and bought Exit... and the rest is history.

Only managed to see them once - on the Roll the Bones tour (which I quite like as an album), and it was an awesome stage show.

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1421811586' post='2665312']
They have my vote for being one of the tightest bands, if not the tightest band, on the planet. The sound that they can accomplish playing live is nothing short of amazing.

<><Peace
[/quote]

See I don't think they are, and that's why I still love em. They are a bit loose, especially Alex. Bands like Meshuggah are what I'd call incredibly tight.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1421830616' post='2665366']

[size=3]Just curious: what do you like about it?[/size]
[/quote]

Ha ha! As a 50-something bass player now I feel like Rush are one of those 'rites of passage' bands that you kind of feel obliged to dip into (maybe when you're younger) before you grow out of when you perhaps develop a taste for...er...tunes. (Puts on hard hat and ducks backs behind nearest parapet.)

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1421830616' post='2665366']
[size=3]
[/size]
[size=3]
Just curious: what do you like about it?[/size]
[/quote]
I can't really say. I'm a Rush head. I love the song, the power, the dynamics, Alex's chords, how much they seem to be in the moment, that undefinable magic. Why?

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1421832115' post='2665388']
Ha ha! As a 50-something bass player now I feel like Rush are one of those 'rites of passage' bands that you kind of feel obliged to dip into (maybe when you're younger) before you grow out of when you perhaps develop a taste for...er...tunes. (Puts on hard hat and ducks backs behind nearest parapet.)
[/quote]

They used to do tunes. Just not so much these days. (Puts on hard hat and ducks backs behind nearest parapet.)

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1421832115' post='2665388']
[/quote]

Which 'tunes' were you thinking of?' (loads trebuchet, with a load of personal opinions and begins winding)

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421824577' post='2665323']

See I don't think they are, and that's why I still love em. They are a bit loose, especially Alex. Bands like Meshuggah are what I'd call incredibly tight.
[/quote]

Meshuggah are awesome! Even if you don't like the genre, that is some tight playing!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421832178' post='2665389']
I can't really say. I'm a Rush head. I love the song, the power, the dynamics, Alex's chords, how much they seem to be in the moment, that undefinable magic. Why?
[/quote]

Yeah. If you love Rush (as I do) then that particular period really seems to capture what makes them what they are (in our eyes).

Exemplar material, if you like.

Not sure that really answers the original question mind - but how do you actually describe why you like a certain band/genre/style or piece of music? :huh:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1420475949' post='2649740']
There's far too many songs from a 40 year career to try and get a non believer into Rush in just a few pages of a forum. The camera eye undoubtedly is amazing and comes from my favourite album , but it's the instrumentals that for me, show the sheer awesomeness of those guys musical abilities

[media]http://youtu.be/WddSQVTwj_Y[/media]
[/quote]

I don't really know if this track is typical... but I'll wager it is as it sounds like everything else I've heard
from them... not that I have dug deep to check them out, tbf.
My take is that it is proficient but there is no heart and soul ...and just no music in it.
That is about as polite as I can be.

Very successful over the years, no doubt.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421844694' post='2665606']

I don't really know if this track is typical... but I'll wager it is as it sounds like everything else I've heard
My take is that it is proficient but there is no heart and soul ...and just no music in it.

[/quote]

It's got enough heart and soul when you see them live and hear the whole crowd sing this tune. Yes SING it!

They do in Glasgow anyway . ;)

My take is that it is proficient but there is just no music in it. Very successful over the years, no doubt.
[/quote]

Geddy and the boys will be stung by your criticism of course - until they look at their bank balances. :D

[url="http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/geddy-lee-net-worth/"]http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/geddy-lee-net-worth/[/url][url="http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/geddy-lee-net-worth/"]http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/geddy-lee-net-worth/[/url]

They may feel the same about your band... assuming they've [b][i]heard[/i][/b] of you that is :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

[/quote]

I disagree about the 'heart and soul' comment but understand how it could have that effect, but I really don't understand the 'no music' comment. Can you elaborate?

[/quote] Just because you are unable to perceive it does not mean it's not there. You keep on saying this sh*t and still you know nothing about them.