Why become a member? ×

Fender Cables

spongebob

I've had three of the tweed Fender leads for about 2 years, and none of them are in use now. The fabric frays easily and also the connection to the jack plugs seems weak. All have been retired as too unreliable for gigging as they would cut out at random moments. They do look nice in the shop, though, which is how i ended up with three of them!

I bought three of them earlier this year and lost one already. I bought the ones with a straight jack at one end and right angled one on the other end. However the rightangled jack fits all my basses except one where it jumps out of the socket. The straight jacks fit everything no problems other than they seem to be a pig to coil up quickly I've had no audio problems with them and hopefully they last.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1415129046' post='2597066']
thats the fella, just bought my first cable of him, mighty impressed have to say!
[/quote]
I bought a couple, very quick delivery and quality is first class. Done about half a dozen gigs with them so far, no problems at all.

I thought the link would take me to a scam artiste website where crazy prices are charged for questionable products, but to my surprise, it's a sensible website charging sensible money for professional products - and considering how much some of the connectors cost, the made up ones are the kind of price that I'd buy rather than make myself!

Impressed, and I shall bookmark it!

I quite like the Fender curly cables, they are cheap though and probably wont last.

The last cables that have impressed me are the Orange guitar cables, they seem really really well made and durable. Not the cheapest though.

https://www.orangeamps.com/products/cables/guitar-cables/

I haven't had an OBBM cable yet, but do plan on getting a few smaller leads for my wireless from him soon.

Edited by Wooks79

Let's be honest here - most decent brands of cable are tough and will last. I found a guitar lead I made when I was 17 in the 70s, and apart from being a bit stiffer than I remember, it works fine.

If you use decent connectors and cable that has real metal in it, then as long as you can solder - the differences are very small. Dry joints, plated rubbish metal, delicate screening and fragile insulation all make for trouble. Fancy fabric covering and precious metals might sway some people, but I prefer substance.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1415136675' post='2597179']
Having 'Fender' stamped on something is, unfortunately, no guarantee of quality.

You really won't get anything better than a length of Klotz or Van Damme cable with Neutriks connectors on either end.
[/quote]
Previously to buying these Fender leads I'd been making my own from Klotz and neutriks jacks for years and lost a few in the intervening years.

Edited by jazzyvee

I've been using the normal Fender cables (the rubbery ones with shrink-sleeve over the connectors), and for the price I think they're pretty good.

Not tried the tweed ones, personally I'd rather just have a tough rubber cable where you can easily inspect it for squashes and cuts.

Just retired my custom shop black tweed one after about a year. it let me down mid-gig when the cable came clean away from the plug (which was still in the bass).

I was given this one (i normally make my own), it looks nice with the tweed wrap, but it's just a very average lead & plug underneath..
i once had a job which largely consisted of making and repairing leads for studios, it makes complete sense to me to make them properly first time so you never see them again. All the leads I use that I've made are over 10 years old and still going strong.

I'd say that having a Fender custom shop logo on it is a guarantee of only one thing - it's more expensive.

Go see [url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]Obbm[/url] if you can't make your own, his are better than mine.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1415126385' post='2597017']
only one bloke to get cables from you know...
[/quote]

Already mentioned, but well worth mentioning again - that's OBBM of this parish and this is his website (again)

[url="http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/"]http://www.rock-wire.uk.com/[/url]

I have many of Dave's cables in my collection - in fact I have ONLY Dave's cables in my collection - you won't get better quality, construction or value anywhere else and you certainly won't get such speedy delivery or service. Only cable game in town as far as I'm concerned and has been for years. Never once had a single issue or failure. First cable I bought still going strong.

Tenner in the post as usual, Dave..? :D

Edited by discreet

The tweed-y cables do look pretty cool (like old-school rock leads!), but I think a few brands are doing that kind of retro-rock-look cable now, so I wouldn't go with any particular brand because of that. Decide on what quality you want first, as that is, after all, what you are paying for.

You've had loads of good suggestions already, so I won't complicate things by offering my preference, unless you want me to.

Good luck :)

Go with Neutrik on the jacks. They have a 'proper' adjusting collet mechanism to grip the cable rather than some bit of metal to bend into place. Plus a decent contact for the screen connection and the construction doesn't have the rivet that often comes loose and spins round in lesser connectors.