Why become a member? ×

London Bass Bash?

CamdenRob

Anyone previously looked into doing a bash in Central London somewhere? I'm guessing the cost of a venue would be prohibitive... as would parking etc., or does everyone feel the area is pretty well served already by the SE / Herts bashes?

I'd really like to come along to one of these, they look great fun, but whenever I look at getting there they are always hours away on public transport and the nearest station is nowhere near the venue...

Edited by CamdenRob

Central London would probably be a nightmare for access, parking and cost. Greater London might be feasible, but once again it might not suit everybody. For instance, finding a pub with a large function room and without excessive noise restrictions during the day (e.g. the George IV in Chiswick) might work, but those who would have to drive or - God forbid - tube it from the other end of town might prefer to give it a miss.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1415185889' post='2597504']
Central London would probably be a nightmare for access, parking and cost. Greater London might be feasible, but once again it might not suit everybody. For instance, finding a pub with a large function room and without excessive noise restrictions during the day (e.g. the George IV in Chiswick) might work, but those who would have to drive or - God forbid - tube it from the other end of town might prefer to give it a miss.
[/quote]

Fair enough, that all makes sense... I did think it must have been mooted before.

Guess it's just me being lazy and I should find a way to come to the Herts or SE bashes!

Edited by CamdenRob

I've never investigated the idea of hiring a school in London like Colin and Nik do for the SE bash in Addlestone. Or replying to one of those emails from Ealing Council who beg me to "book my event" in their function rooms (they do have a quite nice town hall in Ealing, I must say!).

What does the London membership think of Rob's idea?

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1415185889' post='2597504']
but those who would have to drive or - God forbid - tube it from the other end of town might prefer to give it a miss.
[/quote]

huh? Taking your bass on the tube is easy, I go to rehearsals and gigs with my bass and all the pedals and cables I need using whatever public transport is best. I've not had a car in London for years, don't need it. Of course it's a different story with an amp, but how many of those are needed?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1415188388' post='2597563']
huh? Taking your bass on the tube is easy, I go to rehearsals and gigs with my bass and all the pedals and cables I need using whatever public transport is best. I've not had a car in London for years, don't need it. Of course it's a different story with an amp, but how many of those are needed?
[/quote]

I take the MB200 / Wizzy 10 set up on the tube all the time...

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1415188461' post='2597565']
And certainly in the topsy turvy world of public transport, having a good solid piece of Fender in your hands is quite often useful
[/quote]

Talking of Fender and public transport, this is one of the current 390 route bus fleet;

I'm not fussed where in London a potential bash would be as long as I can get there on the tube :)

Edited by CamdenRob

My obvious bias towards a West London aside ;-) there are a surprising number of sneaky conservative / or working mans clubs lurking around the chiswick /ealing area , they also come with the added bonus of a bar ... A school is probably a good idea to I know my school used to rent out the main hall to various events which had a full stage and they also usually have a whole lot of parking

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415185443' post='2597496']Anyone previously looked into doing a bash in Central London somewhere?[/quote]

There was one back in 2010, details here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/72161-london-region-bash-2010

I'd most likely be up for another one.

P.

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1415221851' post='2598168']I'd be up for this but it'd be tube from central London so limited gear.[/quote]

Same here. In a way, it might be a good setup if there was no parking so everyone [u]had[/u] to come by public transport with whatever they could carry. Lots of micro-rigs could make for a bash that's a bit different. :)

I had a couple of possible venues in mind for the 2010 bash; one of those (Creekside Studios) is no more as the site's being redeveloped, but an early contender was the [url="http://www.coachandhorsesbluesjam.com/home.shtml"]Coach & Horses[/url] in Leyton High Road. They have a large-ish function/pool room at the back & it's not the busiest of pubs unless Leyton Orient are playing at home.

I could make enquiries if anyone's interested?

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1415211434' post='2597984']

There was one back in 2010, details here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/72161-london-region-bash-2010

I'd most likely be up for another one.

P.
[/quote]

Schools are always good venues at weekends because they invariably have playground parking and a lot have a decent sized music room with ok acoustics.

Usually need a direct contact at the school to smoothe things along rather than just simply hiring the room.

The parking is the big 'win' with a school, usually better than most rehearsal spaces and many social clubs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1415290042' post='2598861']

Especially as you won, Dave.
[/quote]

I promise to bring a different bass if that would help :P

Winning aside, it was a great afternoon- I was able to play basses I didn't think I would ever have the privilege of playing, met some great people and left with one more bass than I came with! How could I not want to repeat that experience?

I work for a school in Chelsea where I could get a decent rate. However parking is limited. Ie no dedicated spaces. Lots of pay and display. Isn't it free on a Sunday usually?

I also have contacts in my old school in the southfields/wimbledon area that definitely does have parking. A little cold there though!

Edited by Shockwave

Glad to hear that people enjoy the Herts Bash...we actually use a local Youth Club...money in the Youth Service is tight so anything that might generate a few sheckels has a chance of happening. Lots of Youth Centres have large spaces which could be used for seminars,etc and you could entice the venue with a few free lessons for their members. Community centres are another possibility.

I'd probably attend - especially if I didn't have to drive...

• 2 weeks later...