Why become a member? ×

The Alternative Rock Factfile. It's Back for a Christmas Edition!

yorks5stringer

I have a number of alternative rock facts that I thought I'd share with my fellow chatters. Please add to this list, as it is not exhaustive:

The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band were actually formed in Barking and once featured youthful Jarvis Cocker

When Dr and the Medics broke up the founder members went on to form The Cure

Steely Dan were originally called Steely Don after Donald Fagen's steely glare. They changed their name after record company pressure

After Heaven 17 broke up they went on to reform as East 17

Paloma Faith is actually an agnostic

After Le Ann Womack left Womack and Womack and Womack, they reverted to Womack and Womack.

Carole King abdicated her title and has enjoyed a musical career ever since.

Van Morrison used to drive a white van in Belfast and the name just stuck.

Neil Diamond is the hardest man alive currently.

One Direction used to rehearse in a studio on a One Way Street. When asked to come up with a name that's all they could think of.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1415201222' post='2597817']
After Le Ann Womack left Womack and Womack and Womack, they reverted to Womack and Womack. . [/quote]

As the new album had just been released Bobby joined so the name could remain for the upcoming world tour.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1415201222' post='2597817'] One Direction used to rehearse in a studio on a One Way Street. When asked to come up with a name that's all they could think of. [/quote]

I heard that One Direction have turned into a jazz improv group called No Direction, Man.

Muse bassist Chris Wolstenholme is the great-nephew of the late Kenneth Wolstenholme the BBC football commentator at the 1966 World Cup Final who said: "There are some people on the pitch...they think it's all over ...it is now!"

In 2006 a promotional competition for the BBC's 40th Anniversary '1966' DVD offered Chris Wolstenholme as the first prize.

Van Morrison actually got the idea for his stage name after seeing a well known supermarket delivery van in his rear view mirror.

Marc Bolan was the only brother of the Nolan sisters and changed his name slightly so as not seek success on the back of their fame.

U2's Bono decided on their name after a bass playing school friend turned up at A&E at Dublin General Hospital to have something removed from his bottom which he'd been carrying when he fell down the stairs.

John Legend got the idea for his name after watching Georgie Fame on an old edition of TOTP

The Edge is actually a cousin of James Blunt

Lady Gaga has stated she will not be taking up her seat in the House of Lords

Freddie Mercury left Quicksilver Messenger Service to join Queen

Sting is actually allergic to Bee-stings and carries a rolled up newspaper around with him at all times

When a young Marvin Lee Aday was discussing his future music career over lunch one day with a girl he was hoping to impress, she asked what his stage name was going to be. In a bit of a panic, he glanced at the menu and said the first thing he saw. It was only when Bat Out Of Hell was about to be released that his manager finally convinced him to change his name from Garlic Mushroom.

Edited by UglyDog

The successful pop collaboration between Gabrielle and East 17 for the song 'If You Ever' almost never happened.

The romantic opening line, "The first time I saw your brown eyes' is the version we all know. However, as it was actually written about eyepatch-wearing Gabrielle, the original version said "The first time I saw your brown eye".

Instant ban from the BBC and a slap in the face for Brian Harvey.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1415608416' post='2601816']

Surely that would make him nosirroM naV?
[/quote]
Of course, you're right. Although I did say "got the idea for" and at no point did I say "read" so your pedantry appears a little misplaced. However, I will admit to using the rear view mirror idea to purely add a certain artistic dramatisation to enhance the whole crazy idea of Van Morrison being followed by a supermarket delivery vehicle.

I hope this clears up the matter.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1415612277' post='2601876']
The successful pop collaboration between Gabrielle and East 17 for the song 'If You Ever' almost never happened.

The romantic opening line, "The first time I saw your brown eyes' is the version we all know. However, as it was actually written about eyepatch-wearing Gabrielle, the original version said "The first time I saw your brown eye".

Instant ban from the BBC and a slap in the face for Brian Harvey.
[/quote]
:lol:
There's one bit that bears repeating though.
[quote]a slap in the face for Brian Harvey.[/quote]This bit. Oh yes.
[quote]a slap in the face for Brian Harvey.[/quote]I love the way this trips off the tongue.
[quote]a slap in the face for Brian Harvey.[/quote]So satisfying.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1415612573' post='2601880']
Of course, you're right. Although I did say "got the idea for" and at no point did I say "read" so your pedantry appears a little misplaced. However, I will admit to using the rear view mirror idea to purely add a certain artistic dramatisation to enhance the whole crazy idea of Van Morrison being followed by a supermarket delivery vehicle.

I hope this clears up the matter.
[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification, good job he wasn't in France at the time as Fourgonnette Carrefour would never have worked!