Why become a member? ×

DB Books

dudi8

First of all, anyone new to the DB, or contemplating getting one, should get About the Double Bass - a player's guide - by Peter Tyler. This tells you everything you want to know about the construction of the bass, the different types around,strings, accessories, in fact everything to get you fully familiar with the instrument.

Then there's The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid; that helps you on the path to actually playing the thing and takes you on to advanced techniques. Regarded by many as the Bible.

If jazz is your thing, and a particular favourite of mine is The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby. It takes you through lots of exercises backed up by an excellent CD. And it has mini biogs of all the great bassists of the past (and present) and gives you a great picture of how the bass has sat in the jazz world.

There are others.

Totally agree with, and I own them all:

[quote]About the Double Bass - a player's guide - by Peter Tyler. The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid; The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby.[/quote]

For Tutor books, there's a good series by Steven Mooney on 'Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines' - there's now up to 5 books including Blues; Rhythm Changes; Chords etc.

For Playalongs, Hal Leonard does a good set of 'Big Band Playalongs' my favourites being Vol 1 Swing Favourites and Vol 7 Standards (I have 6 of the 7-series!). I also have another playalong by Jim Snidero called Easy Jazz Conception, which is easy-to-intermediate, but some challenges on some of the tracks.