Why become a member? ×

The cost of a Fodera. Worth it?

thebassist

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416492805' post='2610807']
I agree, that's GAS for you... Though in my experience the joy of a new purchase is relatively short-lived.

[/quote]

I used to do alot of work with Porsche. The buying cycle for your 'next' Porsche, starts 6-8 weeks after taking delivery of your new one.

How many times have I felt 'this is all the bass I'll ever need'.. !

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416492805' post='2610807']

I agree, that's GAS for you. Or conspicuous consumption if you want to call it that. I'm sure it's the same for shoes, clothes, cars, houses, cuddly meerkats, servants... you name it. Though in my experience the joy of a new purchase is relatively short-lived.

However, when I get my shiny new high-end USA or Czech Spector, I'm sure I'll be happy forever... :rolleyes:
Or maybe not. Needless consumption is the fuel of capitalism, and I'm just as guilty as anyone of indulging in it. :blink:
[/quote]

We are all in the same boat... I think GAS is the mental projection of 'the wonders I'd be able to play if only...'. Which at least, compared to other forms of consumption, implies a creative spark. So we can indulge ourselves. 😊

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1416495766' post='2610866']
We are all in the same boat... I think GAS is the mental projection of 'the wonders I'd be able to play if only...'. Which at least, compared to other forms of consumption, implies a creative spark. So we can indulge ourselves.
[/quote]

Ha, ha! Maybe. Though I never think that a new bass is going to help me to play any better. I do tend to imagine that certain basses will [i]sound [/i]better though. Which is sometimes the case, sometimes not! :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1416434086' post='2610290']
Wow! The wood on the bass in the middle is stunning!! Is that Bolivian rosewood?
[/quote]

Yes Bolivian Rosewood! Amazing bass
[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Houmann/media/imagejpg15_zps34738741.jpg.html][IMG]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n216/Houmann/imagejpg15_zps34738741.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

http://fodera.smugmug.com/Newborn-Gallery-Vol-II/Newborn-631/i-VqvbzJR

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416481970' post='2610597']
Im pretty sure if Wal, ACG, Status, Overwater or any of the other UK builders could have a full order book charging £10k an instrument they would do...
[/quote]

I would settle for getting into the price bracket of the others named in the above.
Not sure I would be able to charge 10K for a bass even if I could. To my mind there is a limit to what you can do with a bass guitar, a limit to the materials and hardware you can use a limit to how much time you can spend on a bass and a limit to how much I could ask for a bass beyond which I would feel uncomfortable. I have not reached where I want to get to but I have a ballpark in mind for my top of the range it is a lot shy of £10K.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1416521503' post='2611219']
I would settle for getting into the price bracket of the others named in the above.
Not sure I would be able to charge 10K for a bass even if I could. To my mind there is a limit to what you can do with a bass guitar, a limit to the materials and hardware you can use a limit to how much time you can spend on a bass and a limit to how much I could ask for a bass beyond which I would feel uncomfortable. I have not reached where I want to get to but I have a ballpark in mind for my top of the range it is a lot shy of £10K.
[/quote]

Better get my next commission in early then Alan :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1416341979' post='2609268']

To be fair, that's just Vic performing at a gear show, probably for a bunch of fawning bass players I imagine. He's the first person to state that it's just 'fireworks', and whilst it partly pays his bills, he's perfectly aware if what it is (or isn't) :)

Si
[/quote]

I think this was just a random bit of filming on small camera whilst Vic was noodling for his own amusement.

I've seen him a shows before and when he's on the stand he pretty much can't keep his hands off a bass and just plays & plays and sits in a world of his own whilst people wander around him :)

He just loves to play!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1416521503' post='2611219']
To my mind there is a limit to what you can do with a bass guitar, a limit to the materials and hardware you can use a limit to how much time you can spend on a bass
[/quote]

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I was just wondering about Foderas and came across this, so when there's guys selling Stingrays for £700 in the marketplace and Maruszczyk are putting out amazing customs below £1000 why do people buy Foderas? Is anyone using a Fodera at a paid gig, like theatre work or functions? I'm not against custom basses, but I play in a function band so my Sandberg and Musicman seem perfect for me, so I'm really interested to see if any other working musicians are using really expensive or custom stuff.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457269325' post='2996852']
Sorry to dig up an old thread, I was just wondering about Foderas and came across this, so when there's guys selling Stingrays for £700 in the marketplace and Maruszczyk are putting out amazing customs below £1000 why do people buy Foderas? Is anyone using a Fodera at a paid gig, like theatre work or functions? I'm not against custom basses, but I play in a function band so my Sandberg and Musicman seem perfect for me, so I'm really interested to see if any other working musicians are using really expensive or custom stuff.
[/quote]

Oteil Burbidge (Allman Brothers Band, and now some Grateful Dead line-up) uses one, so not one of your super elite, or soloist types, just a regular, gigging US session player.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1415293896' post='2598918']

Yes, this Emperor is the standard model and it's £5300ish. In my eyes, that is an awful lot of cash for a non-custom instrument.

http://www.basscentral.com/pdimages/2014/BLOWUPS%202014/FODERA%20EMP%206%20STD%20BLK%20HARDW%20ES6012%20blowup.php
[/quote]

It is, but it is still cheaper than pretty much the lowest-end model of virtually any motorcar you can buy. Why do people pay six figures for a hand built Aston Martin when you can get a much more efficient Volkswagen for barely into five figures? If you say performance, again why that and not, say, a BMW M3/4/5, an Audi R8 or a Jaguar R?

I'll say this much - if I sold all my basses, I could probably just about afford a Fodera. If I felt it was the only bass I'd ever need and want, it might be worth considering.

Yup, seen lots and lots of players out on gigs/functions/tours with Foderas. Perhaps more so in USA/Asia than UK, but even over here I know guys out on functions and pit gigs using their Foderas and other custom built basses.
It's because they believe it's the best, most comfortable bass they can get.......other believe differently and are equally correct.
Price is irrelevant.

Si

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1457273096' post='2996897']
Thing is - a hard working pro bassist who has the battered well played fodera that goes everywhere with them... Are probably not likely to be on basschat much!
[/quote]
I'm not working as much as I'd like, but most of my time on Basschat is when I'm travelling to gigs, or waiting to play.

I didn't resurrect this thread to bash Fodera's or even have other people bash them, I guess I was wondering if I should bite the bullet on a very high-end or custom instrument, or if I should get another good mid level bass which is replaceable or repairable if anything happens at a gig. I'm thinking a five string Precision and a Fretless Jazz would compliment my Stingray and Sandberg (Jazz) and would give me all the basses I need for any gig I'm currently doing, or would I be better off to sell what I have and get one super-bass.

Edit to say I consider Musicman and Sandberg hight-end, but in comparison to Fodera they are mid-level at least in terms of cost.

Edited by EmmettC

Id like to try one, maybe some day and find out for sure if the hype is worth it.

I've owned £3,000+ dingwalls and they are mutts nutts, but how much better is a £5,000 fodera bass over a £3,000 Dingwall bass - I dunno.....

It's all in the satisfaction I suppose. My biggest gripe with expensive basses was the worry of somebody (or me) putting a ding in it and ruining the perfect finish. Shallow maybe. I dunno.
My yamaha bb series is meeting my needs currently and I could replace it a dozen times before out pricing a good fodera.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1457275463' post='2996923'].............. My biggest gripe with expensive basses was the worry of somebody (or me) putting a ding in it and ruining the perfect finish. Shallow maybe. I dunno.
My yamaha bb series is meeting my needs currently and I could replace it a dozen times before out pricing a good fodera.
[/quote]
I think if mine got dinged to the point it looked rough I'd just have it refinished.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1457275322' post='2996921']
I'm not working as much as I'd like, but most of my time on Basschat is when I'm travelling to gigs, or waiting to play.

I didn't resurrect this thread to bash Fodera's or even have other people bash them, I guess I was wondering if I should bite the bullet on a very high-end or custom instrument, or if I should get another good mid level bass which is replaceable or repairable if anything happens at a gig. I'm thinking a five string Precision and a Fretless Jazz would compliment my Stingray and Sandberg (Jazz) and would give me all the basses I need for any gig I'm currently doing, or would I be better off to sell what I have and get one super-bass.

Edit to say I consider Musicman and Sandberg hight-end, but in comparison to Fodera they are mid-level at least in terms of cost.
[/quote] I don't think you would be better with one "Super-bass" IMO with one exception to that...
A selection of good basses are probably really good basses - that if you had no choice you would be quite happy playing and gigging for the next 20 years aye? At the moment the "super-bass" is only super cos of the reputation and the price - and it could turn out being a worse instrument for you than main bass you've currently got. so it's probably GAS talking - not logical sense...
But - if you go to Bass Direct, or BasGear of Moffat Bass bash or somewhere and pick up a bass that is just amazing for you - and you can tell it works for you... and if you have to sell your current basses to afford it, but you know you would regret it if you didn't.... then do it.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1457300483' post='2997238']
Not sure I should admit this here but I was watching The Voice last night and the house bassist had a 5-string Fender Jazz Bass FMT. Sounded great on the telly.
[/quote]

Not sure what your point is?
The bassist for American Idol plays a Fodera though, sounds great on the Telly ;)

[quote] Anything is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. I, however, don't think they are worth it. I prefer passive basses anyway. [/quote]

They make passive basses :)

Si