Why become a member? ×

NBD Guild Starfire

Billy Apple

After much deliberating about my Coronado (I loved it but it was just too heavy) I've finally got the short scale semi that if I'd seen it first I would've got it first.

You'd think these semi hollows would be light, but the center blocks in them add quite a bit of weight, however Guild have got it right with the Starfire

Very happy with this. Nice slim and light, balances well, ballsy tone and powerful pup. The build quality and finish is superb, it looks gorgeous. The tuners are quality Grover and the head-stock looks great with the inlay. This with the 3 ply binding could be on a Gibson at twice the price.. The whole thing does feel Gibsonesque.. even the funny bridge with wooden saddles!

The body is mahogany laminate with a glued in mahogany and maple stringer neck. unlike the Coronado, this looks a very faithful reproduction of the original.

I kept the La Bella's I had on the Coronado, so these are on and the horrid new bass strings are off, so now we are cooking!

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1415439012' post='2600267']
Excellent choice - had a good old noodle on one in Wunjo, top of my list once the gig money comes pouring in :unsure:
[/quote]

You've most likely played it! I had the choice of two so picked the best one and it is absolutely flawless. There's nice touches too, apparently the nut is bone and it certainly looks different to the usual plakka.

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1415443221' post='2600342']
That's a lovely looking bass Sean. That pickup position is interesting too. Are those thumb rests between the pup and the neck?
Rod
[/quote]

The pole pieces of the pup are the larger diameter bits, so the pup is more of a mid position than you'd think. The smaller screws adjust the pole heights.

Yes, thumb rest and tug bar. They're removable, I'm in two minds about them at the mo

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1426273568' post='2716535']
Just an update here. When I bought this it came in a gig bag, however it should've come in a hard case. There was a lack of cases due to Fender pulling out of distribution. Had a call from Wunjo today, Guild have a new distributor and I'm getting a brand spanker hard case! :)
[/quote]
... and are you still rating it above the Coronado?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1426274272' post='2716552']

... and are you still rating it above the Coronado?
[/quote]

Yes. The Darkstar pup packs a punch and the whole thing is easier on the shoulder. Mind you I really liked the cherry burst finish on the Coronado but both basses have excellent finishes.

If the Coronado had the massive sound block reduced and TV Jones pups it would be killer.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1426285775' post='2716709']
I wish they'd reissue the two pickup version!
That would sell a bunch!

Si
[/quote]

Well it looks like the two pickup version will soon be available again. Check out that post on the Guild facebook page:
[url="https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/photos/a.298445806104.150579.98726376104/10152598462551105/?type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook...?type=1[/url]

Edited by ukulelelab

[quote name='ukulelelab' timestamp='1426364263' post='2717421']

Well it looks like the two pickup version will soon be available again. Check out that post on the Guild facebook page:
[url="https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/photos/a.298445806104.150579.98726376104/10152598462551105/?type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook...?type=1[/url]
[/quote]

Sweeeeeet

Si

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...