Why become a member? ×

which 5 string?i have a few in mind

jassbass

I have a recent history of flipping basses and have settled on the Stingrays and an Ibanez 3005. My take on the ones you mention are:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]G&l 2500 tribute, nice basses with a wide range of sounds but on the flip side overcomplicated for my taste[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sterling ray35, nice basses full stop-does what its supposed too[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender modern player jazz 5, generally I can't be doing Jazzers, I have tried and have had Sandbergs etc. but they never work in a band situation for me, best ask someone else[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cort gb75, I haven't played that one but have played some of the other Corts and they are great for the money. I always fancied a Curbow 52, A5 or B5 so maybe one day :)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I love Yamaha BB's, especially the 425x[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]​I hope that helps[/color][/font]

Edited by Pinball

Modern player will be a bugger sound Jay, It's got humbuckers instead of single coils. I would fancy it will sound like a jazz, but with higher output, more bottoms end and no buzz which is an advantage. I don't like the fender style 5's as I can get on with the neck, 19mm spacing if a 5 is too. If for my hands to manage.
I had a USA SUB5 that I sold to buy my specor euro 4, and I do regret it, that was an amazing bass. If you could get a stingray 5 (USA) I don't think you would be disappointed as they are a quality instrument and despite what some think, can be quite versatile if you work the eq and vary your right hand technique.
Why are you selling the rebop? They are know for being an amazing 5er, and have one if the best low B strings around due to the 35" scale, I think given the price you have it listed at now, you will struggle to get a better bass for the money.

What a shame!! I would have bought your rebop if I could, but have just bought a spector ns2000/5 as I love my euro 4 and want a 5 string again.
If I was to buy anything else it would be a USA stingray, nothing else I've played compares to it, they play and sound amazing. The USA 5's have a little more tonal variety too with the coil tap switch. What sort of music are you playing??

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1415442164' post='2600328']
Gave you thought about a fernandes gravity deluxe 5? They have neck through construction, 34inch scale, emg j pickups with FGI preamp, but not 100% on the string spacing.
[/quote]
Good call

Also if you like the EMG's its always worth looking at ESP's and from what you say about your arm a Stingray may be just the thing as they are very well balanced.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415445445' post='2600374']
I had a metal plate in my left wrist but had it took out to help with the movement last year, it didn't though. Stingray5s for me and my duff wrist work well, come and join the dodgy left wrist and Stingray gang :D
[/quote]

I was wondering how long it would be before you showed up pete! I still think my USA SUB 5 was one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played, and the stingray 5 I played at pmt felt just as nice. If my current love a fair with spector doesn't last, I'll be right back to it?

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1415468720' post='2600711']

I was wondering how long it would be before you showed up pete! I still think my USA SUB 5 was one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played, and the stingray 5 I played at pmt felt just as nice. If my current love a fair with spector doesn't last, I'll be right back to it?
[/quote]
Ive tried all sorts of basses and always end up back with a Stingray :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1415469749' post='2600725']
they all seem to pale in comparison to a Lakland 55-02.
[/quote]
I tried a 55-14 and I have played a 55-94 and a 55-02 a few times they are great basses but they cant do Stingray as well I a Stingray, almost but no cigar. Lovely well built work horse one bass for every occasion though.