Why become a member? ×

Stereo barrel socket, passive bass, should I solder ring to sleeve?

linear

Yea, it's a passive bass, and I can't see any situation where I would be plugging a stereo jack into it.

I thought maybe it might increase the chances of the jack making a connection when not pushed in all the way, or when the socket's internal contacts eventually starts to lose their springiness. An unlikely speculation I guess, but I thought I should double-check.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1415459601' post='2600590']
Yea, it's a passive bass, and I can't see any situation where I would be plugging a stereo jack into it.

I thought maybe it might increase the chances of the jack making a connection when not pushed in all the way, or when the socket's internal contacts eventually starts to lose their springiness. An unlikely speculation I guess, but I thought I should double-check.
[/quote]

If you do that, you'll short the tip to ground when you use a mono jack plug in there.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1415618321' post='2601955']
If you do that, you'll short the tip to ground when you use a mono jack plug in there.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a situation where a jack is not pushed all the way in and the tip touches the ring contact?

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1415619099' post='2601962']
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a situation where a jack is not pushed all the way in and the tip touches the ring contact?
[/quote]

Ah, I actually misread your post, sorry - I thought you said connect the tip and ring, not ring and sleeve.

Still, I don't see much advantage, as the sleeve will contact the whole body of the jack anyway and never wears out (other than getting corroded I suppose).

IME it's normally the tip connection which gets worn first, which this doesn't really help with.

If it's a decent (genuine Switchcraft) socket it should last for years anyway, but I guess there's no harm doing what you propose, if you want to.

Sorry for the confusion! :)

No probs. Good point about it being the tip contact that wears out; I was forgetting about that. I reckon it was my Planet Waves cables that caused the original to fail in the first place - those will be getting retired too.

I'll keep it simple and just solder what's necessary. Thanks guys.