Why become a member? ×

To compress or not to compress?

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1415568187' post='2601592']
A local BCer was selling an EBS Multicomp for cheap, so I bought it to see what compressors did. No matter what setting I used, I couldn't hear any difference. I sold it on, and the buyer gave feedback about what a great compressor it is. So I'm none the wiser.
[/quote]

Having said this, I now find myself in need of a compressor! I need to tame the unpredictable and unruly volume peaks of my LPF's self oscillation. That Ovnilab page is just brilliant.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1415725769' post='2603102']
Compression is very misunderstood

I wrote this a while ago to help people set up a compressor for bass:-

[url="http://web.archive.org/web/20130215154741/http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/"]http://web.archive.o...p-a-compressor/[/url]

[b]I use compression live, low ratio very low threshold to just increase the fatness a touch,[/b] and to sculpt the transients if I'm slapping.

FOH would be great, except I don't trust most live sound people with a bass tone.

Mixing I use all sorts of tools to improve everything, but compression and eq are the cornerstone of good mixing.
[/quote]

this, and I use the Xotic SP Compressor because it is a parallel compressor that just ads a little more presence and fatness to the dry signal. this works great to give the bass more definition especially at lower volumes on small gigs without a regular FOH.

I generally have a little all the time. I use a rack mount fx unit (Eleven Rack) and have just a little dialled in early in the chain. Usually ~4:1, slow attack, fast release. Generally not too strong or intrusive... just levels things out a little.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1417264245' post='2618672']
have found since using all tube amp that i don't really need compression so much, does anyone have an explanation for this?
[/quote]

I thought tubes have a certain amount of natural compression in them. So the more tubes as in a all tube amp will have a slight more amount of natural compression.

I don't normally use compression, but recently bought an mxr pedal and set it up in a pretty subtle and 'standard' way. I didn't really notice the difference, but after the gig I was surrounded by fanny - pretty much had to beat it off with a sh*tty stick to get out alive. I'll try it again next week, and if the results are the same I'll post my settings.

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1417302561' post='2619061']
I don't normally use compression, but recently bought an mxr pedal and set it up in a pretty subtle and 'standard' way. I didn't really notice the difference, but after the gig I was surrounded by fanny - pretty much had to beat it off with a sh*tty stick to get out alive. I'll try it again next week, and if the results are the same I'll post my settings.
[/quote]

In your position I`d probably keep the settings (and therefore the, ahem) to myself :D

I've finally started using an EBow that I've had lying about for a year or so and as a result I think I now need a compressor to stop the signal getting too loud and out of control when blending it with some finger picked loops...

Mind you, this could be caused by my lack of playing/practise time with the EBow?!?!

Played a couple of gigs this weekend, both without compression (as I don't have one at the moment!) the first gig was a medium sized bar in Nottingham, 100 people or so in a narrow but long room and all sounded great, played last night in a big open hall and bass was a unruly and boooooomy
I think I shall get me a decent compressor and run it all the time with just a little to tame the beast!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Paultrader' timestamp='1417277073' post='2618797']
No compression for me - I can't bear hearing my notes clipped.
[/quote]

Hmmmm, depending on how you set up a compressor you can get up to 6dB of compression without even knowing its happening from the sound or feel, I achieved this for Urb at a bass bash a couple of years ago with just a couple of minutes tweaking. Similar results for SilverfoxNik a year or so before that.

Simple thing is if you can feel it its set with too low a threshold for the ratio, if your compressor can't go down to a ration of less than 2:1 then its not really fit for anything other than hitting transients IME. The best use for a compressor live is closer to 1.25:1 with a low threshold IMO, that way its always working, but you cant feel it hurting you when you dig in, yet every note is a bit less different in volume to all those around it.

Follow that up with a limiter set to catch the nastiest peaks only and you are 100% golden.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1417388999' post='2619997']

Hmmmm, depending on how you set up a compressor you can get up to 6dB of compression without even knowing its happening from the sound or feel, I achieved this for Urb at a bass bash a couple of years ago with just a couple of minutes tweaking. Similar results for SilverfoxNik a year or so before that.

Simple thing is if you can feel it its set with too low a threshold for the ratio, if your compressor can't go down to a ration of less than 2:1 then its not really fit for anything other than hitting transients IME. The best use for a compressor live is closer to 1.25:1 with a low threshold IMO, that way its always working, but you cant feel it hurting you when you dig in, yet every note is a bit less different in volume to all those around it.

Follow that up with a limiter set to catch the nastiest peaks only and you are 100% golden.
[/quote]

Nice one Simon, now if you could please translate that into English for me, I would be very grateful ;)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1417542814' post='2621551']
Nice one Simon, now if you could please translate that into English for me, I would be very grateful ;)
[/quote]

Errrr, nope, cant do it without talking in terms of ratio vs threshold.

You are better off reading up the Compression 101 link I posted?

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]I don't normally use compression, but recently bought an mxr pedal and set it up in a pretty subtle and 'standard' way. I didn't really notice the difference, but after the gig I was surrounded by fanny - pretty much had to beat it off with a sh*tty stick to get out alive. I'll try it again next week, and if the results are the same I'll post my settings[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I have the MXR bass compressor and don't think i got the same version as you and mine doesn't come with a built in fanny magnet!! :facepalm:[size=4] [/size]

I use compression pretty much all the time. I think different pedals/devices make a huge difference though so I wouldn't rely on just one tryout. For me, the most important considerations are whether it affects your basic tone, and whether it lets you adjust the attack (the time it takes for the compressor to kick in), so that you can control how much the spikes will be affected and you can keep some dynamics. I had an EBS Multicomp and it changed my basic tone too much, for example. I'm quite happy now with a not too expensive Carl Martin Opto-compressor that adds a bit of treble, but in a pleasant way.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1415568187' post='2601592']
A local BCer was selling an EBS Multicomp for cheap, so I bought it to see what compressors did. No matter what setting I used, I couldn't hear any difference. I sold it on, and the buyer gave feedback about what a great compressor it is. So I'm none the wiser.
[/quote]

My view on compressors has changed now! I bought a Fairfields The Accountant to act as a limiter, but am very impressed with the other ways that it can be used - an impressive and very useful pedal!

Been playing bass 30 years and have used countless compressors, only lately do I start to understand what compression is and how it affects my sound. The only tip I can give is that is all about the feel in your fingers, in many ways its the best lesson you could have about controlling your own sound.

Get a compressor that feels OK and STICK WITH IT - over time it will become part of the muscles in your hand and you will protect it above all other effects. Mine's a Multicomp and it has helped me discover "my sound" (along with a CEB3)

Never use it when I am playing, I do use it after the fact on a recorded track but never print (record) compression because you are stuck with it. In the digital world there's no need to record with compression, just set the record level properly so it won't overload; you don't need to worry about the noise floor like in the past. I do think it's a bad idea to use it as a correction for poor technique but that's me....one would do well to define the goal; is it to 'even' out the notes? Just play more precisely...