Why become a member? ×

To compress or not to compress?

chrisanthony1211

To compress or not to compress,
That is the question,
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the peaks and spikes of outrages signals,
Or to place a compression circuit on a sea of phat bass.
And by opposing, reduce them, to smooth them, to die, to sleep,

Well that's enough of that!
I've always used a compressor, however recently due to events beyond my control I've been going about my business without one and I'm quite liking the "uncompressed" sound I'm hearing, so I thought I'd get some thoughts on whether fellow basschatters compress, and if so, what are you using?

Depends which compressor and how it's set up.

Generally I don't like them much but I really rate the Diamond one (but it's big money). Very 'musical' and sounds nice without coming across as an 'effect'.

Paul Turner uses one and he really doesn't like compressors :)

Just bought a Demeter to try out as an alternative but haven't had time to really use it properly yet.

I find compressor pedals a little lacking probably because alot of the settings are 'built in' so to speak..

I like to have control over all aspects of the compressor to best suit my requirements especially on a full range device. Attack and release, knee and make-up are commonly missed off pedals and we're simply left with a 'one knob does it all' or at best a threshold and ratio set. The old Trace SMX compressor pedal and the later Ashdown version work reasonably well to my taste but again, a lack of detailed controls limits fine tuning.

Use of compression is very subjecive and somewhat personal. It also depends on what we want to achieve with it too as compression can be used as both a corrective and creative tool. Maybe we just want to smooth out peaks and troughs a little, maybe we're looking to squash the nuts out of some aggressive slap or possibly using it more like a limiter to eek a little more SPL out of and under-powered rig? All situations would require completely different settings and just like EQ, some would love it and others would hate it as a component in their sound.

Neither of my amplifiers has compression built in but both being valve (particularly the Ashton) have a degree of natural valve compression. The Trace seems to do the 'transparent' thing whereas the Ashton does the 'squashy' thing. In a live situation both are more than adequate for my tastes but when recording I do prefer to add more by using a comprehensive (hardware or software) full range or multi-band compressor. Multi-band is great (two-band is perfect for me) as I can have completely different settings for each (low / high) frequency band allowing for a borderline invisibly compressed bass sound thats 'always present' in the mix without being squashed to death.

I do have an old Boss LMB3 but the compressor on that was inadequate / intrusive and for a time I simply used it's enhance function. It sits largely dormant now although I do drag it out now and then just to remind myself that I don't really need it anymore.

To the O/P, if you're happy running without then do so, if you're happy with what you're achieving and how it sits solo and in a mix then it's all good surely? :D

After many, many trials of using compression and then not, and then back to compression etc etc. I have come to the conclusion that I like compression very much BUT ......... it needs to be an expensive, high quality compressor with pretty fine control, used VERY sparingly. I still get loads of dynamics but it all simply sounds nicer, punchier and more present.
Currently use the Empress comp.

I don't use them live and don't feel I need them.
It is all about getting your technique and playing style
to a stage whereas you are happy getting the sound out there.

Recording is different in that your main job is getting the
sound down and then the mixing stage is a lot more discerning and critical
with so many other factors involved.

If I had a big gig, then the engr might compress me for his version of the live mix
and I'd be happy with that.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1415524654' post='2601057']
I nearly always have a mild overdrive on, so that's my compressor!
[/quote]

Same here, my VT DI manual states that there`s compression within the unit so that`s good enough for me. For studio work the producer just adds whatever is needed - all far beyond my knowledge base but as it sounds good that`s all Im concerned about.

I have one amp (eden david series) with a built in compressor which i sometimes allow to come on a little bit, other than that i dont use it myself - but the sound engineers generally compress the bass i think, so most gigsi do i reckon it ends up somewhat compressed anyway.

When mixing, I often compress the bass. Sometimes I feel the need to squash the bass a bit to help it fit whereas other times it happily sits just snug without. Occasionally it is needed to apply alot of compression if a bass sound lacks context, is borderline incompatible with everything else or is simply badly / sloppily played.

At this point mentioning above, it becomes more objective than personal IME.. :D

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1415568418' post='2601600']
If you just want to keep the bass in the right place of the mix then it is best done FOH.
[/quote]

+1

I have recently bought a Cali76 for use on guitar, and I have it switched on the whole time. It's brilliant. I have yet to use it when recording bass, but I definitely will, as big peaks on bass notes otherwise mess up my attempts to get a good signal down. I have no desire to use it live though.

On my board i firstly start with the MXR M82 set to a mild grab\squash..& @ the end place an APHEX xciter before the amp' between these two pedals the tone becomes Fat & fingers on strings sounding ( a la M MILLER).when moving to slap the tone remains present & full ( using a jazz bass with Nordstrand NJ4s & a John East preamp) That WILL LEE type tone....so compression yes......BIG TIME.

Edited by paulo m

Compression is very misunderstood

I wrote this a while ago to help people set up a compressor for bass:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20130215154741/http://blog.basschat.co.uk/setting-up-a-compressor/

I use compression live, low ratio very low threshold to just increase the fatness a touch, and to sculpt the transients if I'm slapping.

FOH would be great, except I don't trust most live sound people with a bass tone.

Mixing I use all sorts of tools to improve everything, but compression and eq are the cornerstone of good mixing.

I like to use a little bit of compression all the time on my fretted basses but I could live without it, at the moment I use an MXR Bass Compressor which is great but the Diamond was the nicest sounding pedal I've owned so far.

I also have an old Boss CS1 which is a bit of a weird pedal but works well on fretless as an effect.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1415479813' post='2600848']
To compress or not to compress,
That is the question,
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the peaks and spikes of outrages signals,
Or to place a compression circuit on a sea of phat bass.
And by opposing, reduce them, to smooth them, to die, to sleep,

Well that's enough of that!
I've always used a compressor, however recently due to events beyond my control I've been going about my business without one and I'm quite liking the "uncompressed" sound I'm hearing, so I thought I'd get some thoughts on whether fellow basschatters compress, and if so, what are you using?
[/quote]

I'm rather attached to my Nova Dynamics Compressor/noise gate by TC Electronic - discontinued - but you can get them pre-loved at auction.

It has a visual meter - so you can see what it's doing - and doesn't colour your tone - to my ears. Similar to the MXR wotsit (horribly overpriced IMHO).

I use it mostly for recording, but see no reason why I wouldn't use it 'Live'. Also, I have it at the end of my effects chain to smooth? overall levels - nice! B)