Why become a member? ×

C-extensions

dudi8

Alternative suggestion : I'm in the process of getting de-tuner : [url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=373"]http://store.hipshot...ct_detail&p=373[/url] installed by www.LaurenceDixon.com (have commented about him on the sticky D B Luthiers thread).

I'm the first ever customer he is installing one for & he's a busy 'Double Bass only' luthier... I have de-tuners on my electric basses & they work great. NOTE : The double bass string you are installing this on MUST have a ballend or it won't work properly... 'bullet style' end on Innovation strings is not compatible, but they can make you a custom ball end string upon request.

I chose the de-tuner option because : I wasn't aware you could build a C-Extension until I read this thread tonight !! Ha :gas:

Thinking positively though with the option I have chosen :

* Sounds like there could be ongoing issues with a C-Extension according to BassAce... ?
* The option I have chose will probably work out cheaper ?
* Less risk of damaging the C-Extension when transporting / trying to fit it in a case.
* It opens up a different way to looking at the low E string - adds a slight change to the bad habit of 'moveable pattern playing'. This additional thought process is compatible with playing electric bass as well & might even reinforce it more ? Downside is extra brain power is needed :unsure:
* It's portable to other instruments... unlike a C-Extension which will be shaped to a specific instrument only.

& in terms of 'why am I bothering with this - is it really worth it for the low notes ?'... I am doing this out of necessity !! I play in a 27 piece jazz band there are 18 or 19 saxophones (it's a sax orchestra) - this means lot's of songs have been transposed to Sax friendly keys... that means lot's of flats. I've been given music to sightread with low Eb, Db & Cb's where playing up an octave doesn't sound right & have even been told off by the conductor for transposing up an octave the entire part or that one note (which does make it sound different). Current workaround for this is to use my 5 string electric bass with a low B - but conductor want's me on upright to get more of a jazz sound & I have to admit double bass does sound better for this group.

Sight reading low Cb's is a scary moment where I remind myself it's just a B natural !! :ph34r:

So yes dudi8 I think having access to the additional low notes below the open E string is a very useable thing in jazz - I am being 'forced' to play those notes by a jazz band conductor !! :) Not to mention you might be given a bass part to read which was originally written for piano / by a pianist, so there will be notes below the open E string... very good 'musical' reasons why a solution to the few extra low notes is important for a serious musician.

Edited by Paul Galbraith

Guest Jecklin

I had a low d extension fitted by Laurence Dixon many years ago.

It got a lot of use.

Dudi8 as you're in Hungary I don't think pricing in the UK will be of much use to you, but depending on who you go to you could pay £300 for a non-mechanical C extension.

If I was still playing double bass a low d or c extension would be mandatory.

Cheers
Thomas

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1415960984' post='2605545']

It got a lot of use.
[/quote]

I'm curious about the D-extension - do you have any photos? Does it have a capo for the E? I tune my E string down to D for a couple of tunes as it sounds great played arco, and I could imagine getting some use out of one of these.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1415961783' post='2605560']
I'm curious about the D-extension - do you have any photos? Does it have a capo for the E? I tune my E string down to D for a couple of tunes as it sounds great played arco, and I could imagine getting some use out of one of these.
[/quote]

Hi Beer of the Bass.

I sold the bass on here circa 2009 so there are definitelt photos floating around somewhere.
It had a capo for the E.
Essentially it was just a mini C extension. Laurence did a cracking Job on it and it looked great and sounded great!
You get all the added benefits of the longer String length for the lower notes.

I play(ed) original music and bowerd and 60% of the time and arco those low notes are something else!!!!

ACE!

Hold tight, I'll see if I can dig up some snaps

Guest Jecklin

[URL=http://s117.photobucket.com/user/minimumeffect/media/bass%20for%20sale/IMG_0243.jpg.html][IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/minimumeffect/bass%20for%20sale/IMG_0243.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Guest Jecklin

[URL=http://s117.photobucket.com/user/minimumeffect/media/bass%20for%20sale/IMG_0242.jpg.html][IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o42/minimumeffect/bass%20for%20sale/IMG_0242.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1415960984' post='2605545']

It got a lot of use.

Dudi8 as you're in Hungary I don't think pricing in the UK will be of much use to you, but depending on who you go to you could pay £300 for a non-mechanical C extension.

If I was still playing double bass a low d or c extension would be mandatory.

Cheers
Thomas
[/quote]

whats a non mechanical c-extansion

i got an offer by a double bass luthier here for 1300 euros, which seems quite expensive...

This might be a really dumb question, but wouldn't it be much simpler to just tune to a lower pitch (e.g Eb,Ab,Db,Gb or C,F,Bb,Eb) and maybe change to a higher tension string to compensate if necessary or adopt an alternative tuning rather making physical modifications in order to access the lower notes you want?

I can see the logic behind orchestral musicians using C extensions if they are playing a lot of music written specifically with standard tuning in mind, but beyond that is there a compelling reason not to alter the tuning of your instrument from standard - I started with my strunal tuned approximately fourth below concert (B,E,A,D) and gradually brought it up to pitch a semitone at a time over three days, and the timbre changed a little, but it didn't sound bad when detuned to my ears at least.