Why become a member? ×

FS: Yamaha TRB5Pii
£900

Beedster

A stunning bass in every respect, and certainly one of the best basses I've owned (and another step in my re-discovery of Yamaha basses). Pretty much every tone you'd want is on tap from the 3-band active circuit, two humbuckers and piezo, it does everything from Ric clank through 'Ray funk to Motown P-Bass thump to jazzy upright. The neck is fast and lovely to hold, the action perfect, the bass balances beautifully, and the instrument as a whole just oozes class.

So why am I selling it? Well I always had this nagging feeling that if you're going to play a five you might as well go the whole hog and get a six, so I am now the proud owner of a TRB5 and a TRB6. I'd like to keep them both and even considered defretting one, or stringing one with flats and one with rounds, but I think the sensible approach is to let one of them go, much as I'd rather not.

Original listing at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243878-sold-yamaha-trb5pii/page__hl__yamaha+trb__fromsearch__1."]http://basschat.co.u..._fromsearch__1.[/url] The bass is in extremely good condition and is everything you'd expect from what is Yamaha's flagship bass (and having owned the BB2024 I can vouch for the fact that this bass is a serious step up from even that). Original Yamaha hard case included.

This is a LOT of bass for the money, and having recently been discontinued (a strange decision given their reputation), this bass will only increase in value.

No trade offers please.

[attachment=176163:TRB.jpg] [attachment=176164:TRB6.jpg]

[attachment=176165:TRB4.jpg] [attachment=176166:TRB5.jpg]

[attachment=176167:TRB2.jpg] [attachment=176168:TRB3.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1415656951' post='2602515']
cheap as the proverbial!
[/quote]

Yes and no Luke! Low price for sure, but then I was lucky when I bought it and am passing that on. There's nothing at all cheap about the bass though. Yammies generally represent outstanding value for money, so the list price for these - at around £2,500 - speaks volumes for just how good the Japanese TRBs are.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1415687034' post='2602644']
Top end yamahas are superb,i have the bbne1 and thats real class and this could be even better than the ne1.bargain for some one
[/quote]

[size=4]Thanks JB, the bbne1 is lovely and also an extremely highly rated instrument. [/size]

[size=4]In response to a few questions that have popped in overnight[/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Are there any dings or scratches? No big ones, i.e., none that I've noticed, although I will go over the bass in detail when I'm home and provide details of any I find[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]What is the condition of the gold hardware - any tarnish? As above really, nothing obvious, but again I will confirm if i find anything significant[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]What is the condition of the frets? Good[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Are the electronics and knobs working perfectly? Yes[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]What's the weight? Moderate weight for a fiver but will confirm[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]What is the string spacing? Narrow for a fiver but again will confirm. Certainly not wide compared to other fivers I've played[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Is the neck finish gloss or satin? Gloss but very nice gloss (not the sticky variety!)[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Could you confirm that this is 35" scale? Yes, 35"[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Will you post to Europe? Yes[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Will you trade for ..........? No, I really am not in need of anything other than cash at the moment thanks?[/font][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Cheers[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica]Chris[/font][/color]

[quote name='Norwood' timestamp='1415697026' post='2602700']
Sorry but is possible to have more big pics?
[/quote]

I'll post some when I'm back at home in a day or so, although the same pics in the original listing here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/243878-sold-yamaha-trb5pii/page__hl__yamaha+trb__fromsearch__1."]http://basschat.co.u..._fromsearch__1.[/url] seem to open a little larger

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

There are some other photos of the bass from my September Ebay listing here (should still be visible): [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191317405224?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191317405224?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649[/url]. If you hover over they are a reasonable size. I can testify to it being a fabulous bass, bought from The Bass Gallery and one owner until I sold to Beedster, who by the way is a top bloke to do business with. If I had the money I'd buy it back.

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1415711233' post='2602888']
There are some other photos of the bass from my September Ebay listing here (should still be visible): [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191317405224?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1560.l2649[/url]. If you hover over they are a reasonable size. I can testify to it being a fabulous bass, bought from The Bass Gallery and one owner until I sold to Beedster, who by the way is a top bloke to do business with. If I had the money I'd buy it back.
[/quote]

Ed, hope all's well and thanks so much for linking to the ebay listing. I've attached those pics below also, hope that when folks click on them they come up larger than those in the first post

[attachment=176163:TRB.jpg] [attachment=176164:TRB6.jpg]

[attachment=176165:TRB4.jpg] [attachment=176166:TRB5.jpg]

[attachment=176167:TRB2.jpg] [attachment=176168:TRB3.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

Brilliant basses - had one for a few years until I made the decision to go back to 4 strings. Build quality is right up there and the amount of tones that are available is unbelievable. They'll do anything well and the piezo adds a subtle extra dimension (or not so subtle if you boost the piezo volume right up). Gives it an acoustic type vibe. GLWTS. I would have this if I was after a 5 string. They really don't get much better.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1415730020' post='2603189']
Brilliant basses - had one for a few years until I made the decision to go back to 4 strings. Build quality is right up there and the amount of tones that are available is unbelievable. They'll do anything well and the piezo adds a subtle extra dimension (or not so subtle if you boost the piezo volume right up). Gives it an acoustic type vibe. GLWTS. I would have this if I was after a 5 string. They really don't get much better.
[/quote]

Thanks Mr Zed, you're making me want to keep it even more :rolleyes:

[quote name='william64' timestamp='1415731253' post='2603201']
Hi Beedster. Please what is the weight? Year of birth? Thanks. Vilem
[/quote]

Hi Vilem, I'll confirm exact weight once I'm back home

Chris

Hi folks

Back at home so some details, apologies for the delay

Weight (tested and retested albeit on bathroom scales) is exactly 5kgs, which I'd guess isn't too bad for a fiver and is [i]considerably[/i] lower than is the case with my TRB6
Width at nut is a rather Kylie-esque 44mm (I've played 4 strings with wider necks)
Width at 12th fret 66mm
String spacing at bridge is 17mm

I can only find one knock on it, it's in the usual tip of headstock position, and at about 1mm is too small to photograph. I couldn't see it but could feel it when I ran my hand over the finish.

This is, as I said above, a lot of bass for the money. I've had a few offers for the 6 even though I haven't listed it so if this doesn't go quickly I may sell the 6 instead, if only because whilst I prefer the 6 for noodling, I suspect that live the 5 will be more useful.

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1415982038' post='2605849']
Great looking bass Chris; GLWTS!

Quick question - is the string spacing really 17mm at the bridge? I though that Yamaha 5s were generally 19mm at the bridge - certainly the two I've had over the last 10 years have been..

Nik
[/quote]

Hi Nik

Good to hear from you mate, hope all's well?

Decided to get the electronic doobry out for this and results are below (not entirely sure where spacing should be measured so have given three options)

Centre B to centre E string at tailpiece 18.10mm

[attachment=176356:IMG_3468.jpg]

Outside of G string to outside of D string at saddle 18.63mm

[attachment=176357:IMG_3471.jpg]

Centre to centre of G to D string at saddle 17.44mm

[attachment=176358:IMG_3479.jpg]

And I have just reweighed the bass and sorry to those of you who PM'd asking me to do so, it is still 5kg. I was wondering whether the scales were crap so weighed the TRB6, which is far bigger (56mm at the nut and 20mm spacing), but that weighed in at 4.3kgs. The vagaries of wood I guess :rolleyes:

I will say that I don't find the fiver heavy (it's certainly lighter than my old Wal which I really had to grapple with. Having said this I do own a mid 70's Strat that weighs in at 4.3 kgs, the same as the TRB6, so perhaps I'm just a real man :rolleyes:

Edited by Beedster

This bass is Sick, Beedster. I would take it off your hands in an instant but I would need to shift things first.

I tried one of these in 2004 vs the TRB 5 II (which I bought one of and sold this year). The difference in playability and sound was tremendous.

If I manage to shift my Zoot Fretless 5er I will get this..... If not, someone will be a very happy bunny.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1415990312' post='2605938']

Hi Nik

Good to hear from you mate, hope all's well?

Decided to get the electronic doobry out for this and results are below (not entirely sure where spacing should be measured so have given three options)

Centre B to centre E string at tailpiece 18.10mm

[attachment=176356:IMG_3468.jpg]

Outside of G string to outside of D string at saddle 18.63mm

[attachment=176357:IMG_3471.jpg]

Centre to centre of G to D string at saddle 17.44mm

[attachment=176358:IMG_3479.jpg]

And I have just reweighed the bass and sorry to those of you who PM'd asking me to do so, it is still 5kg. I was wondering whether the scales were crap so weighed the TRB6, which is far bigger (56mm at the nut and 20mm spacing), but that weighed in at 4.3kgs. The vagaries of wood I guess :rolleyes:

I will say that I don't find the fiver heavy (it's certainly lighter than my old Wal which I really had to grapple with. Having said this I do own a mid 70's Strat that weighs in at 4.3 kgs, the same as the TRB6, so perhaps I'm just a real man :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hi Chris

I'm good thanks; hope you are too?

That string spacing sounds more like it to me, and certainly a more comfortable fit for a larger group of players on here I would have thought.

Looks like a very, very nice bass to my eyes; Yamaha make such understated high quality gear that they probably don't get as much praise as they should!

Nik

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1416079041' post='2606704']
I didn't notice the weight on mine as they are so well balanced and just 'fit' right. I wouldn't let 5kg put anyone off. Sounds heavy but doesn't feel heavy.
[/quote]

Thanks for that mr zed. To be honest, when I put it on the scales I was really surprised it was over 4.5kgs, even more so when the TRB-6 weighed in at over half a kilo lighter (I'd have put what little money I have on the TRB-6 being the heavier of the two for sure). Even now I know the difference, when they're on a strap they both feel pretty much the same. Whilst I'm on weight, I weighed the TRB-5 on a different set of scales today and it came it at 10.5lbs. Certainly in the over 10lbs region either way.

Played it today also, I'm starting to wonder if I should keep it and defret it, it is such a stunning bass and would no doubt make an amazing fretless