Why become a member? ×

Mid life crisis in Somerset!

Froggy

Hi all, after wanting to play bass all my life I've just picked one up at 39. I thought I might be able to teach myself using all the resources available these days, but I've decided to spend some time with a tutor too. Got a Washburn Taurus T14Q for £100 on Saturday, and I've surprised myself by being able to play twinkle twinkle little star already! I think I have a long way to go! :-D

Hi Froggy,

I used to play bass as a young man
Then stopped in my mid-twenties, and didn't take it up again for over 20 years! :o
So it was literally like starting again, and I was a bit older than you are now
So it's not insurmountable.....

Can't believe it was that long....
Or that I had ever given up, but life being what it is, other things got in the way....

You've made a good start, by having a tutor
... now work out something a bit cooler lol
Just play along with some CD's / MP3's (or 78's! lol)
and have fun working out more songs
It can feel like a real sense of achievement, when you work out a song you really like

Anyhow, welcome to the wonderful world of bass
The trick is, to just have fun

Good luck, and enjoy the journey :)

Marc

EDIT: Still having a mid-life crisis, in Cardiff....
Mind you, the "crisis" might have something to do with my local football team ;)

Edited by Marc S

Hello Froggy and welcome to the forum. :)

You seem to have given yourself a good start already, so work at it and have fun. I guess it won't be that long before you're linking up with Marc's comments. ;)

Enjoy the crowd here too.. mostly very experienced and friendly members willing to share their knowlege, so ask if you need help.

Al.

Edited by Allie

PS. A big part of my own "mid life crisis"
was buying basses I really wanted when I was younger, but couldn't afford

Mind you, I now have far too many! lol

And in reality, I still can't afford them - but I have realised that life is just too short
not to have some of what you really want ;)

That translates to: Go & treat yourself to a lovely, lovely bass that you really "need" !

EDIT: +1 to BassBods comment also :)

Edited by Marc S

[size=4]Good afternoon, Froggy, and ...[/size]

[size=4][sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528][/size]

[size=4]My usual words of encouragement for those starting out...[/size]

[size=4]It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things get (slightly...) better. :) [/size]

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bass(chat). There quite a few of us in Somerset ( I'm over the border in Dorset) but we've just had a Bassbash near Glastonbury and will probably have another in Dorset next year(pub we used has just closed down however). As for what is a Bassbash, have a look under "Events".

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1415705805' post='2602805']
Hello, I started playing bass at age 48, a year later I'm in a band writing songs. Keep at it and have fun.
[/quote]

I'm winning started at 53 after playing lead in my 20's.

Hi Froggy, from Somerset too and am involved in a couple of bands, one of which is playing in Weston on the 19th December if you want to meet up. It may not sound pretty but it will be suitably noisy :)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Mid life crisis? It's cheaper than a Harley, provided you don't start browsing the for sale section on here that is [/size][/font][/color] :)

Ed

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1415735912' post='2603272']
Weston-super-Mare or Weston in Bath?
[/quote]

Weston-super-mare

Not sure of the venue yet, but my band the Angry Badgers are playing. All originals with most Badgers songs written by yours truly :)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1415736630' post='2603281']
Weston-super-mare

Not sure of the venue yet, but my band the Angry Badgers are playing. All originals with most Badgers songs written by yours truly :)
[/quote]

May have to go to that then! Let me know :)

Thanks for the welcome guys. I already feel like I belong! Haha.

The encouragement is most welcome too. I'd love to join a band once I can handle my bass properly, and I'm glad that some of you are older than I am! My only issue will be my job, I'm a truck driver, away from home all week, so it means lots of time to practice when I'm parked up at night, but precious little time to rehearse and gig with a band. I'll just have to see how that goes.

Pinball, if I'm finished at a sensible time on the 19th I'll come up to weston to see your band play gladly. Thanks for the invite, keep me in the loop!

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1415739321' post='2603341']
Pinball, if I'm finished at a sensible time on the 19th I'll come up to weston to see your band play gladly. Thanks for the invite, keep me in the loop!
[/quote]

Will do, I have a another bass playing friend coming along so there may be an audience of bassists :)

I know nothing about them but it sounds like a travel bass is what you need so you can have a little practice when you stop

Edited by Pinball

I started at 55, from scratch. Was playing pub gigs within two years. It's never too late! We're playing in Taunton next month http://www.lemonrock.com/gig.php?id=373404

Don't get disheartened if it seems slow at first, and learn whole songs. It's more rewarding and you'll want something you can play with other people sooner or later. There's nothing so exciting as the first time you play with other people and it sounds like music.

Welcome aboard

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1415739321' post='2603341']
[/quote]

I'll send a couple of PM's but I have some details of that gig at last. I just put a poster on The Angry Badger FB (link in my sig) or you can follow on Ents24 [url="http://www.ents24.com/weston-super-mare-events/carnabys/the-angry-badgers/4087088."]http://www.ents24.co...adgers/4087088.[/url]

It would be nice to see you there. No idea what the other bands are like as I have never seen either. I'll also PM

Edited by Pinball