Why become a member? ×

New Bassmods Fivers

CamdenRob

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415792564' post='2603769']
Fair enough. To me they just look like another J-Bass with an inelegant 4+1 headstock. Why don't they go for the more compact 3+2 arrangement?
[/quote]

Probably to stay as close to the fender design as possible.... which I guess is your point :lol:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1415792865' post='2603771']
Probably to stay as close to the fender design as possible.... which I guess is your point :lol:
[/quote]

Perhaps, but the wider neck on the standard J body simply doesn't look right to me. It looks as though it's been badly photoshopped on by someone who doesn't know the proportions of a bass guitar. And the 6-string J-basses in the other thread looked even more unbalanced. IMO once you've done that you might as well make the headstock more balanced by reducing its size as much as possible.

So I had an 8 page thread about 5 string jazz basses and no one mentions these?!They look great imo, I really dont like the 3 and 2 or even 2 and 3 headstocks BRX, I've never had all the problems you always mention with string lie etc, even my Fender has straight strings and holds tune just fine for hours on end, it also has the lightweight F tuners so no neck dive even with a light for a Fender V body :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415813603' post='2604060']
So I had an 8 page thread about 5 string jazz basses and no one mentions these?!They look great imo, I really dont like the 3 and 2 or even 2 and 3 headstocks BRX, I've never had all the problems you always mention with string lie etc, even my Fender has straight strings and holds tune just fine for hours on end, it also has the lightweight F tuners so no neck dive even with a light for a Fender V body :)
[/quote]

Because it was more entertaining not to.... :lol: and I still think the Deluxe was the model, anyway.
Plus... I've not seen one in the flesh so ..??

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415874331' post='2604661']
Nah the deluxe sucked! Weedy preamp, naff in passive mode :)
[/quote]

Really... ?? I tried one recently and I thought I could make it work. I look at things
more from a playability POV first off though.. so things like sustain and resonance are key as
they aren't easy..if at all, to fix. You can swap out the rest, not that I'd want to spend £1k and have to do that,

Have to look into these things ..but one needs to come up first.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415881569' post='2604758']
With something as generic as a 5-string J bass there shouldn't be any need to mod one. There's so many different makes that it ought to be simply finding the one that ticks all the boxes as standard.
[/quote]
I know I am taking a bite from your anti Fender poisoned apple but we all know that is not how it works, you could say with something as generic as a five string bass guitar you should not need to mod one, a couple of chrome dildos for horns does not really do that much to a bass to make it that much different than any other fully functioning bass guitar from a playing POV IMO ;)

I really like some of the features of the deluxe but overall I liked the Standard hence the purchase, now if they had made a passive deluxe with all the bits I liked on the deluxe but with the passive pickups and controls I would have bought that, I suppose the DJ5 is closest to that but then that is not a Fender which I think I wanted plus the smaller body I am no so sure of? pros and cons to all of them BRX :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415897423' post='2605020']
You can't even get a USA standard five for a grand jtuk mine was nearly £1400, another couple of ton for the deluxe which is into used boutique money isn't it?
[/quote]

I wouldn't pay new prices for the American Deluxe J5, Pete... I'd start to get interested at £1k for a s/h price.
And that would also get you into territory inhabited by better clones as well. The thing that I like about the
Am Delux is RW and binding which is what I want on my next bass. Other than that, I don't need to buy another
as I am more than happy with what I have.
I know the DJ5 has those features but I am not so sure on the rest of the bass, on the ones I've played so far..
Put a decent pre amp in one and you might be on the right tracks, tho..??

The neck was nice on the one I tried, not sure about the maple and blocks on the black ones though, anyway who said anything about need!? My 2007 SR5 realistically does everything I will ever need, there are far superior players out there that use nothing else but that does not stop me buying more basses :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977