Why become a member? ×

NBD (X 2) - Spector Legends 4 & 5 Classic *Audio Clip 2*

discreet

[quote name='Ticktock' timestamp='1416060916' post='2606504']
Hmm, you have a fat bottom. I think this is a very good thing. Great sound. If that is "Spector" then I want one.
[/quote]

Thank you... a Spector seems to suit me, though obviously my bum looks big in it. :)

I did try to match the original bass tone. But the Legend 5 is capable of much more, as I am still discovering.

Edited by discreet

Personally, I wouldn't describe the tone on the recording as what most people describe as "a spector tone", that is typically a little more mid prominent and quite growly. Most people however never fully utilise the preamp, they, much like stingrays, can be quite versatile.
I think you have for a great sound out of that bass mate, it sits really well in the mix. Wondering if changing the emg pre in mine to a tonepump is the right thing lol

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1416068994' post='2606581']
Personally, I wouldn't describe the tone on the recording as what most people describe as "a spector tone", that is typically a little more mid prominent and quite growly. Most people however never fully utilise the preamp, they, much like stingrays, can be quite versatile.
I think you have for a great sound out of that bass mate, it sits really well in the mix. Wondering if changing the emg pre in mine to a tonepump is the right thing lol
[/quote]

I thank you, sir... you're right, it's not a typical 'Spector' sound. AFAIK Bernie used a MM Ray with flats - and I tried to match his tone using a Legend with rounds. :rolleyes: I was thinking of swapping out the EMG pre in my Legend 5 too - but I'd say live with it a bit and see how it sounds in different situations. It's beginning to look like the B30 circuit in my Legend 5 is more versatile, subtle and usable than I first thought. :)

The Tonepump Jr. in my Legend 4 seems quite a bit hotter though, and I was wondering about it - there's a whole lot of threads on TB basically putting down the Tonepump and explaining how to replace it and with what, but at this stage I'm thinking there can't be too much wrong with it - Spector are no fools and they're still using the Tonepump in their production basses. :)

I'm beginning to think that the important mantra regarding bass mods should be: LEAVE IT ALONE! ;)

Edited by discreet

There is a lot of difference between the tonepump jr and the tonepump. I think they have got a bad name based on the original version being VERY hot, so much so it would clip many amps pre stage and give an ordinary sound. They now come with a trim pot to control the output level to suit your own sound, so hopefully with time the "haters" will calm down. The jr from my experience is a different sound and is closer to the emg sound in yours, but it has been designed along with the SSD pickups to sound like a spector with the materials the legends are made of, most think it is quite good.
Depending on what you want, I'd say keep the 5er as is and save for a rebop or euro to get a more "spector" tone if you wanted to. I do t think an emg or Aguilar pre would change it too much, but a three band would just give you the ability to control the mods more

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1416073417' post='2606640']
Depending on what you want, I'd say keep the 5er as is and save for a rebop or euro to get a more "spector" tone if you wanted to. I dont think an emg or Aguilar pre would change it too much, but a three band would just give you the ability to control the mids more
[/quote]

Heh! cetera of this parish warned me that affordable Spector ownership leads to unaffordable Spector GAS, and he was dead right! And in super-quick time, too! I won't bother modding the 5er in any way - I'm quite happy with it the way it is. And the 4-string, too. The B30 pre fitted to the 5er is a 3-band circuit - vol, vol, mid and bass & treble stacked. The 4-string is Tonepump Jr. vol, vol, bass and treble. :)

So now I'm just thinking three things... Euro or Rebop? Euro or Rebop? Euro or Rebop? [size=2] :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

I started with a Legend 5 Custom which blew me away (particularly at the price).

Spector GAS ensued rapidly

Now also have a Spectorcore Fretless and (my dream bass) a Euro4LX Doug Wimbish Signature

Seriously thinking about finding a way to fund the Helium with the Aguilars.......

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1416138160' post='2607184']
Seriously thinking about finding a way to fund the Helium with the Aguilars...
[/quote]

Mmm, do it. I keep going back to look at the Helium... especially the Forte4 SS.
[url="http://spectorbass.com/heliumtrade.html"]http://spectorbass.com/heliumtrade.html[/url]

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1416150760' post='2607361']
Jesus. I stoppped GASsing for a Spector Legend a few months ago... now you lot have reignited it, thanks a bunch. You are all very naughty. ;)
[/quote]

We are indeed, all very naughty. Tell me... is it normal to sell everything you own, just to buy one bass..? :huh:

At risk of over-exposing myself (fnarr), and as I unexpectedly had time on my hands today due to a cancelled session, I have recorded another bass cover... this time a rock track, played with a pick - hopefully to demonstrate another tone available from the Legend 5. This is with D'Addario Super Light Rounds 40-125. Though I am about to fit a set of Status Hot Wires Half-Wounds.

The bass is front and centre in this clip so you can definitely hear it ;) ... the track itself has had most of the bottom removed (fnarr) so all the low-end you can hear is basically the Legend 5... I thank you. RAWK!!

[b][url="http://yourlisten.com/FetangFetang/sex-type-thing-bass-cover"]AUDIO CLIP 2[/url][/b]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1416313398' post='2608894']
Reet lursh! Very nice indeed...
[/quote]
[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1416338559' post='2609217']
Good work Mark. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1416343534' post='2609289']
This has so much bottom end, I thought the bass was fitted with Stanus Bot Wires Arse-Rounds
[/quote]
Trust you to lower the tone... and so on and so forth. :)
[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1416345712' post='2609325']
The tonal difference between the two clips shows just how versatile Spectors are but the weight of tone on the Chic cover is just lovely, very much up my street - good work sir.
[/quote]

Thanks folks... Spectors certainly seem to be extremely versatile, but string choice seems to make more of a difference than usual (which is always quite a big difference anyway, imho) for some reason... my favourite Status Half-Wounds just don't sound as good as roundwounds on this bass, I've no idea why. Still, I can have fun trying out lots of different types of roundwounds, now... *starts browsing* :)