Why become a member? ×

NBD (X 2) - Spector Legends 4 & 5 Classic *Audio Clip 2*

discreet

Dashed off a quick bass cover featuring the Legend 5 -
Yes I know... there's a balls-up in the middle of it. :rolleyes:

[b][url="http://yourlisten.com/FetangFetang/chic-bass-cover"]*AUDIO CLIP*[/url] (Pop/Funk)[/b]

And another, as I unexpectedly had time on my hands... :D

[b][url="http://yourlisten.com/FetangFetang/sex-type-thing-bass-cover"]*AUDIO CLIP*[/url] (Rock)[/b]

[b]NBD X 2 - Spector Legends 4 & 5 Classic[/b]

Those who know me cry, 'Why? Why on Earth Spector after decades of Fender??' And it's true that I've always been spectacularly unmoved by the whole Warwick Streamer/Spector NS shape-thing (yes, I know they are otherwise very different instruments). Eww! Why the bulbous comedy top bout? Why the vestigial cetacean flipper lower horn? What does that body curve actually achieve? There is no balance, no harmony...

BUT... recently and apropos of nothing at all, I suddenly got huge GAS for a Spector. This is of course inexplicable as anyone who has suffered from GAS will know (and I'm guessing that's everyone reading this). So I bought TWO affordable Spectors in the hope that this would assuage my Spector GAS and I could avoid spending serious wedge on an upmarket USA or Czech model. It hasn't worked. But I AM enjoying the journey, so here are some pics of my new babies. :)

[b]1. Spector Legend 5 Classic (Korea, 2004/05)[/b]

Three-piece maple neck (35" scale), Trans amber over figured maple top. One EMG-HZ humbucker at the bridge, one EMG-HZ Jazz-type at the neck. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]EMG B30 3-Band 9V active EQ circuit[/font][/color], volume/volume/mid/stacked treble&bass. D'Addario Super Light Nickel-Plated Roundwounds 40-125.

This is an early Legend 5 (2004/05) and apparently is quite rare... this pickup configuration is unusual for a Legend. Or any other Spector, come to that. Later models have EMG-SSD humbuckers X2 and a Tonepump Jr. Active Preamp.

[b]2. Spector Legend 4 Classic (Korea, 2009)[/b]

Slate Grey. Three-piece maple neck (34" scale) - maple top (not sure if you'd call it quilt or flame or what). In any case you can only really see it in bright light (see pics) otherwise it just looks gloss black. Two EMG-SSD Humbuckers and a Spector Tonepump Jr. active 9V Preamp, volume/volume/tone/tone. Fender roundwounds of unknown origin.

So... I'm enjoying the comfort, particularly after having played a couple of slab-bodied basses for a while! The body curve fits nicely around the old beer gut, and the basses are extremely well-balanced with no neck dive. The necks are not Ibanez-thin (which is a good thing) nor are they baseball bats... I like them very much, they are not too Jazz-like at the nut. Very easy to play and again, very comfortable. Of course the five is wider, as you'd expect.

These are from Spector's Korean factory and you'd expect them to be... budget jobs. They are stupidly affordable second-hand it's true, but the build quality is truly excellent. The finish can't be faulted and the necks fit into their pockets like... T H White's [i]Sword In The Stone[/i].

There is a lot of information online about the EMG-SSD/Tonepump Jr. combination, not all of it complimentary shall we say, but in my experience it sounds great and is the pokier set-up of these two basses. I have dabbled extensively with flatwound and half-wound strings, but I'd say the 'Spector sound' (or at least my limited experience of it) depends on having fairly bright roundwounds fitted - these basses are certainly bright, bouncy and twangy, but they have a very huge and almost sinister all-encompassing pillowy bottom end which is very useful indeed for rock, particularly if you're in a three-piece.

The fabled Spector throaty mid-growl is there too, but without direct experience of the more upmarket Czech and USA models, I'm only guessing that you must get more of this, and everything else, in direct proportion to what you spend. I could be wrong however, as it's difficult to see how the overall sound and the general fit and finish of upmarket Spectors could possibly be that much better than these Legends...

...but then of course they must be or no-one would buy them! One day I will find out for myself...

But from here, I'd say that if you're looking for an alternative to the Fender and Fender-clone thing and want something that looks and sounds quite different to the current crop of uber-fashionable vintage and retro-relic basses in your armoury, then you could do a lot worse than buy a second-hand Spector - particularly as their current used prices are very silly indeed.

You will get what I would call a 'modern' sound that can be immense, complex, thrilling and quite unlike anything else... but the company has been through the mill over the years and Spector do have a relatively long history going back to the late seventies, so their schtick is well tried and tested. Got Spector GAS much?? Get one in your stable [i]now [/i]before the price goes up! I thank you! :)

Edited by discreet

Great basses and those two look superb! I had a Legend Custom that i got in a trade from someone on here, it was short lived as i traded it, along with another bass, with Mr Limelight Mark. The Legend is still on the Classic and Cool guitars website.

A few years back a Rebop passed through my hands, very well built but i actually much preferred the playability of the Legend. They're a lot of bass for the money, enjoy :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1415709089' post='2602842']
Great basses and those two look superb! I had a Legend Custom that i got in a trade from someone on here, it was short lived as i traded it, along with another bass, with Mr Limelight Mark. The Legend is still on the Classic and Cool guitars website. A few years back a Rebop passed through my hands, very well built but i actually much preferred the playability of the Legend. They're a lot of bass for the money, enjoy :)
[/quote]

Ah, that's your Legend on Marks site? I was looking at that a while back! Interesting comment about the Rebop... it's what I want to hear, obviously! ;) I'm currently looking at the historic Kramer-era Spector NS2, which seems like great value for something akin to a USA bass... any comments about that?

There'a s brand new Rebop on Thomann for 900-and-odd, but I may hold out for something a bit more interesting if you think the Rebop's not all that... I have read opinions elsewhere that it's about £1000 too expensive...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1415735627' post='2603263']
Nice pair !! :)
[/quote]

Phwooar! Eh? Eh? Thanks John. :D

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1415735221' post='2603254']
Can see why you've been getting yourself all in a lather Mark :D They are a couple of lovely looking instruments.
[/quote]

Thanks, Gary. I trust you are still enjoying the '83 SB-2? You know you're only looking after it for me, don't you? ;)

Wonderful basses these... I think they've stayed off everyone's radar for some reason.

As you say, used they are one of the best buys around.

I had one as my main bass for the last year or so and to me it played and felt much higher quality that it's price tag. I only moved it on to go down a different path tone wise. I'm fully confident that the one I had would have served me proud for the rest of my bass playing days had GAS not intervened.

Top basses.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415744296' post='2603402']
Boo! *parcels up turd*
[/quote]

Not quite sure why a moderator would send me crap through the post... not a good example, surely..? :blink:
Is it because I decided against playing a Fender for the rest of my life and try something different, Sean..?
You've got a bloody R*ck*nb*ck*er, for Christ's sake! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1415745434' post='2603423']
Not quite sure why a moderator would send me crap through the post... not a good example, surely..? :blink:
Is it because I decided against playing a Fender for the rest of my life and try something different, Sean..?
You've got a bloody R*ck*nb*ck*er, for Christ's sake! :P
[/quote]

I'm just pulling your leg.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415745689' post='2603428']
I'm just pulling your leg.
[/quote]

Well I wasn't [i]really [/i]expecting a poo parcel at discreet towers...
I'm sending YOU one though, because you [i]have [/i]got a R*ck*nb*ck*r!! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415746181' post='2603438']
Any-hoo I hope you enjoy the new wood. It made me have a look at the Spector site and those Helium's look pretty cool
[/quote]

Oh Christ, yes. Especially the Forte4 SS. Major GAS. And well worth a pic and a link! :)

[url="http://spectorbass.com/heliumtrade.html"]http://spectorbass.com/heliumtrade.html[/url]

it has always made me wonder why Spector has been so under the radar in the UK. they are such great basses with great tones. I don't know if it's just that they aren't that well known by the general public so music stores (not Bass stores) don't stock them because they don't sell in bulk....

I too started with a Korean Spector, then a US Spector came up from Eubasix and i couldn't resist. What an amazing thing. So worth it. I've heard people say the Euros are really close to the US models but i've never played something straight out of a case that made such an impact (my ACG made a similar impact but in a different way)

I am acquiring my second spector today, so expect a NBD post later, but agree totally. There is nothing that beats used spector for value for money, although they are not to everyone's taste which is why the used prices are so low, thankfully.
I really like the look of that 5 string, I havnt seen that pickup arrangement in a legend before, nice work mate and welcome to the spector club. Before you know it you will have sold your fenders in search if a USA NS!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1415736073' post='2603275']
Phwooar! Eh? Eh? Thanks John. :D

Thanks, Gary. I trust you are still enjoying the '83 SB-2? You know you're only looking after it for me, don't you? ;)
[/quote]

Fear not the SB 2 is being well cared for. Lovingly cleaned/polished and even taken out for a change of scene at the weekends. :D