Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB750 sound/tone question

Freddie75

Hi guys,

Basically, the only thing putting me off getting an Aguilar DB750 is the weight, so I'm wondering just how close the DB659 preamp with Genz Benz Streamliner 900 as the power amp will get me to it soundwise? I currently have the tonehammer pedal through the Streamliner ' so would it be a pointless task to get rid of the pedal and replace with the db659??? I have tried the th500 but prefer the tubey sound of the genz. I'm not convinced.that the th500 is in the same tonal park as the db750 (not sure whether its even meant to be - that could just be my.lack of kmowledge!).

Thanks in advance
Freddie

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1415717159' post='2602981']
I've heard both the DB750 and the DB659 preamp and they are definetly diferent creatures. I don't know how much this was due to the power amp used with the preamp but IMO if you're aiming for the sound of a DB750 then only a DB750 will satisfy you ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for your input - I might just have to bite the bullet!!

I think a TH500 can get close-ish but it lacks the heft of the DB750.
I find both amps plug'n'play and the TH is very pleasing soundwise
but the DB750 has something else. It has BALLS and this is what you get
in a big block that you just can't get otherwise..and certainly not class D.

So, the TH500 maybe a pretty close cigar but it isn't the DB750.

But.......... depending where you get to play, the DB750 may be overkill
and this is why class D may be a valid alternative...and why I also have a
TH500 as well as a DB750

TH500 is about as close as you can get to the DB750 but it'll never have the sheer heft of the transformer in the big head.

Using DB cabs helps a little with the TH to get the signature Aguilar tone that most people are familiar with (although my personal favourite Aggie sound is a DB751 with a pair of GS410's).

I have owned the DB750 and two DB659's.

In my opinion going for D659 is a better option as the DB750 is a beast to carry and there are a lot of components to cause a problem..

The 659 is a simple layout and you can mix and match your poweramps for the desired tone

I know it's not a DB750 but I have a DB751 and had a TH500 at the same time and can say that they are very different. I found the TH500 to be a bit 'lightweight' (no pun intended) in comparison. The 751 definitely has all the heft and headroom you'd ever want. Having had a DB751 before, I contacted Aguilar when I was buying the TH500, as I was wanting the DB751 sound, and they said that the sound of the TH500 would be different. I assumed it would be close enough but I couldn't get there with it so I ended up buying a DB751 and let the TH500 go.