Why become a member? ×

How Much Can A Truss Rod Take?

spongebob

Picked up a brand new US P a couple of weeks ago. Love it!

Hate the stock strings, so fitted some GHS flats. Truss Rod needed a couple of quarter turns to get it right.

Couple of gigs later, found the GHS's too dark. Got a set of D'addario nickels on the shelf, so fitted those. Just a small adjutment needed, maybe 1/8 to get it right.

Problem is, I haven't used them for a while for a reason!

I've ordered a set of Chrome, happy medium. I'm guessing that I'll need to tweak the rod again, given the extra tension.

I was a bit worried about causing any damage, not an expert here. Are these too many changes in a short space of time? How many turns can a Truss Rod take?

Please - hopefully - put my mind at rest!!

Combined, you've added less than a turn so far.

Any truss rod that fails with an adjustment that small is indicative of a duff instrument in the first place.

Obviously, if you get to the point where you're using a lever to wrench the allen key you're pushing your luck, but if you can move it by hand comfortably you're doing just fine. :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415778316' post='2603578']
I always give it a day to settle between each set-up. Plus when tightening I hold the bass between my knees and pull back on the head slightly so the rod is not pulling the neck all on its own.
[/quote]

This.

The recommended method for dealing with Ric truss rods.

A new US P bass? With the graphite reinforcement rods?

Yeah that neck would take some rough treatment to ruin. The truss rod nut could be gradually ringed by not seating the hex / allen wrench in correctly but aside from that it's pretty much guaranteed to last for a few thousand string changes. More if you're a "new rounds every show" sort of bassist playing 5+ shows a week!