London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bass show london bass guitar show bass guitars

514 replies to this topic

#61 CamdenRob

Heft doubter...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Cricket, Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Rum...

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

There seems to be more performers than exhibitors at the moment :blink:
Bass Guitars :
Wal MK3 6 String Fretted (2015 - Ziricote)
Peterbuilt Fretless Jazz (2015 - Opal Yellow)
Moollon Classic P (2016 - Faded Sonic Blue)

Incoming Summer 2017... Wal MK3 6 String Fretless

Amplification :
Epifani Piccolo 600
Barefaced One10 (x2)

http://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases

#62 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,381 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostDorsetBlue, on 28 November 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Just watching 'Babylon' and the Bass Guitar Show got a mention as a bomb threat target this year lol. Bit of an extreme way to get rid of Slap Bass! :lol:
Well they have been asked politely to desist in the past and this has been studiously ignored (maybe they couldn't hear the request) so more 'firm' measures need to be taken :D
Happiness is a warm P

Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless, Phil Jones Cub, Bass Buddy & PB300

My Feedback

#63 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

Problem with all this loud sound stuff is that when you are asking exhibitors to pay such a lot of money to exhibit, they need to do their best in order to make their money back. Reducing the period in which sound can be made reduces the chances of somebody actually making a purchase - especially when everybody is at it full hog in that period.

In short, there is no solution. There is no way that I would buy a bass based on what I'd heard through headphones.... likewise, I wouldn't buy an amp without hearing what it can do.

Call me pessimistic, but maybe shows just aren't a great idea for retail and making noise. :-/

#64 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

I think rather than alter how they are run I have just accepted they are not for me, you need to realise for those guys/gals "schlappin da shid" out of a Statii all day is 'their gig' IMO. So me telling them to stop is the same as people telling me to stop during my gigs (which they sometimes do, lol).

It is a shame but there you go, I have moved along :)
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#65 Thunderbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Would be nice to attend but the trouble is it is such an expensive day out buy the time you put in the costs for buses/taxis train fairs and admission you can easily spend £150 before you even start and to be honest I dont think there are many average Joes who can afford to shell out that kind of money on going to the show and there is not much meat and potatoes gear it all seems to be really high end stuff.

#66 Alun

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

View Postezbass, on 28 November 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Well they have been asked politely to desist in the past and this has been studiously ignored (maybe they couldn't hear the request) so more 'firm' measures need to be taken :D

Ha ha, although there was a bomb sniffing dog at the guitar show which was a bit unnerving.
http://www.alunvaughan.com
Go on! What harm can it do?
Solo album available at http://alunvaughan.bandcamp.com/album/the-...ss-of-strangers. All proceeds donated to the MS Society.
Endorsed by Hartke

#67 Mr Fretbuzz

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson Motorcycles
    Bass Bass and more Bass

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

If you think slapping is bad, check out the London Drum Show. Drummers beating the crap out of kits and symbols for two days. Now that's loud.
Reduced to these:
Fender Custom Shop 59P Heavy Relic Olympic White over 3 Colour Sunburst
Fender Custom Shop 55P Relic Black over 3 Colour Sunburst
Fender American Standard 2013 Olympic White, Maple fingerboard, tort
Warwick Corvette Standard

Ashdown MAG 300 Head
Ampeg V4B and SVT212AV
Ampeg SCR DI
Ashdown MiBass Interface, Ampkit, iPad and headphones
2014 Fender Rumble 100 combo

#68 bassguitarshow

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

Very exciting news - Lee Rocker returns to the show in March! http://www.londonbas...eturns-to-lbgs/

#69 deepbass5

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Interests:Bass and General live music

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

AER would be nice to compare to the other kit there, maybe take one away with :gas:

Shuker 5 with wizards + East pre - Marleaux mbass 5 - Status Electro 2 + East pre

GK MB500fusion - Mark bass LMK - SWR SM500 - Two Acme low B series III cabs called Rosie & Jim

#70 deepbass5

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Oh and Nordy with a few nice basses and a basket full of pups

Shuker 5 with wizards + East pre - Marleaux mbass 5 - Status Electro 2 + East pre

GK MB500fusion - Mark bass LMK - SWR SM500 - Two Acme low B series III cabs called Rosie & Jim

#71 basexperience

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Bass. Who would have guessed?

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'd like to see a time limit for testing basses, say maybe 15 mins max. Last year I sat watching this guy beat the crap out of a precision copy with his thumb, nothing but high volume, bad slap, and I really wanted to test a bass at that stand. In the end I walked away. Standardize the limit with a time clock for each exhibitor and make the policy clear. Straight and simple.
Slap it... push it... bend it... hammer it... pluck it... finger it... pull it... double stop it... ENJOY IT
<insert mandatory equipment list here>

www.funkbass.co.uk on Blogger
basexperience on Twitter
basexperience on Facebook

#72 basexperience

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Bass. Who would have guessed?

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:26 AM

I'd also like to stick my hand up for no 5 pound seat tickets. Ta!

Edited by basexperience, 07 December 2014 - 09:27 AM.

Slap it... push it... bend it... hammer it... pluck it... finger it... pull it... double stop it... ENJOY IT
<insert mandatory equipment list here>

www.funkbass.co.uk on Blogger
basexperience on Twitter
basexperience on Facebook

#73 icastle

Director of Torture

• Global Moderators
  • 11,319 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

Noise has always been an issue at these gatherings.

I worked in the MI industry some 30 years ago and it was an issue back then at the BMF - although frantic slapping and 1000w amplifiers certainly weren't 'the norm' back then.

The noisiest days were the ones where the doors were opened to 'punters' (as opposed to the MI trade) and attempts to control that failed miserably year after year.

Fast forward 30 years and the same problem remains - as soon as you charge punters an entry fee they have expectations, and if that expectation is to bash a fingerboard senseless at a volume that is approaching that of a WMD, then that's what happens.

My solution as an exhibitor was to put cotton wool in my ears on those days (earplugs weren't about back then).
BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

Multitasking - the ability to screw up more than one thing at a time.

#74 skelf

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

I see complaints every year about slap but if you want a crowd of people to stand and watch a demo then wheel out the slap. We tried what would be regarded as normal bass playing last year and there was little to no interest. Kicked of with the slap and audience straight away. So while everyone seems to complain about it they also seem to stand and watch/listen. Solution no idea,I have accepted that it is the nature of a bass show it gets loud and there is slap bass.
The quiet period every year starts of quite well but as the day wears on it is steadily ignored by stands and customers. I bring along a decent headphone setup and found last year more people where interested in using that than the amp.
Builder AC Guitars
AC Guitars
www.reiverguitars.co.uk

#75 Bobthedog

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

View Postskelf, on 07 December 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

I see complaints every year about slap but if you want a crowd of people to stand and watch a demo then wheel out the slap. We tried what would be regarded as normal bass playing last year and there was little to no interest. Kicked of with the slap and audience straight away.

I am obviously the loner, I really do not enjoy the sound of slap bass. It would make me walk away! As a newbie and punter all this talk of too much noise is not selling me the event. I am keen to come along, but earplugs / cotton wool / endless slapping demos and, hmmm, I will need to think some more.
2014 Roscoe Century Signature 5
2011 Fender American P Bass
2013 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass with John East J-Retro Deluxe pre-amp
2016 Dingwall Combustion V
Glock Blue Rock / Barefaced Big Twin II
More pedals than a peloton

Feed back for Bobthedog

#76 Romeo2

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

I've been once, and perhaps it is noisy but we go to gigs or play on stages that are waaaay noisier than this so I don't get what people's problem is. Want a quiet day out - go to an art gallery (perhaps not Tate Modern, overcrowded with disinterested chatty tourists...).

Will I go again? I'd love to check out the Maruszczyk's, say hi to Adrian, or drool at other extravagant gear at prices from outer space. But the admission ticket for 1 day at £20+ is a bit steep. If there were shop stalls with gear we always buy like strings, cables, etc. that sold this stuff at prices below the usual bargains you can find e.g. online, then it makes sense. At the moment I am not so sure.
G&L L-2000 Tribute swamp ash body, carved top in 3-tone sunburst over flamed maple top, maple fingerboard with vintage gloss neck finish, born 2009, bought new March 2013
G&L M-2000 Tribute GTS TB mahogany body with carved flamed maple top with white binding, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, black headstock, born 2013, bought new May 2014
Squier VM PJ with EMG Geezer Butler pickups, 3 TSB, born 2013, bought used Nov 2014 from dave_bass5 on here

Yamaha RBX270F, misty green 4 string fretless with PJ pickups, bought used October 2016 on here from CokeyW
Defil Romeo2, born November 1979, my YOB bass - now retired, a piece of eastern Europe bass history

Effects:
EBS MicroBass II, TC Polytune2, ProCo TurboRat, EHX Big Muff Pi, zvex Fat Fuzz Factory, Aguilar Octamizer, Ibanez ES-2 Echo Shifter, EBS DynaVerb (pre-true bypass), Boss RC-2 Looper, MXR Micro Flanger.

PedalTrain Junior.

#77 skelf

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

I am with you I don't like slap but having tried our experiment last year the majority seem to like it even though the majority seem to complain about it. The show is excellent you don't spend the whole day in the exhibitors section there are plenty of other things to do. So you can spend short bursts in the main hall that way it is not really a problem. The noise and the slap are only a problem if you spend the entire day in the hall then it gets a bit wearing. The guys that I see as the problem are the ones that have a party piece and play the same thing on every stand and go to every stand over the day they don't appear to be there to try gear more to show of. Might be totally wrong but having been there for three years you get time to watch what is going on.

First year I was there I hated it there was a constant barrage of slap and widdling from a nearby stand and it just wore me down. However the last two years have been much better and hopefully that will continue.

Edited by skelf, 07 December 2014 - 10:31 PM.

Builder AC Guitars
AC Guitars
www.reiverguitars.co.uk

#78 timmo

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

I will be going next year. I went this year. I found it no worse than the Basschat get together in Addlestone last year. There was loads of slapping and people trying to outdo each other with noise there, so perhaps it is quite hard to stop the noise as no one did anything about it . I did expect it as it is a bass show, so it didn`t bother me. I really enjoyed both events despite the noise. While £20 is a bit of cash, there isn`t much you can do for that money these days, so it isn`t too bad. I have no plans to buy anything, but it is nice to see all the gear.
Clover Avenger 4 Left Handed

#79 rungles

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music, Martial Arts and my many crazy animals.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm guessing that all the anti-slappers won't be queing up to see Mr King then? :)

I don't care about the noise, the crowds or anything else - it's a bloody good day out and a chance for me to catch up with my old school friend who I only see once or twice a year.
My Feedback

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle"

Status S3
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz CIJ
Status Energy Matrix Graphite
Fender Marcus Miller Jazz MIM
Musicman Stringray 3EQ
Ibanez Musician MC924 Feb 1981
Aria Integra

Markbass LM800
Markbass 104H
Markbass 102P
Markbass Micromark 801

#80 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

I tried out a bass last year the LBGS and a couple of the people on the stand were amazed at me playing a UK Subs bassline on it, and not just hammering/slapping away at it like everyone else. They probably thought I was a bit of a caveman.
Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, Barefaced, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off Jan 2017 Gigs:
Sat 07 Jan - The Flag, Watford
Sun 15 Jan, The 100 Club, Oxford St, London (supporting The Lurkers)

#81 timmo

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostLozz196, on 08 December 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

I tried out a bass last year the LBGS and a couple of the people on the stand were amazed at me playing a UK Subs bassline on it, and not just hammering/slapping away at it like everyone else. They probably thought I was a bit of a caveman.
I hope it was Warhead
Clover Avenger 4 Left Handed

#82 Bassjon

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

Some people I would like to see there who I don't think have been there recently or at all:
Stefan Redtenbacher, Paul Geary and other members of Bass Guitar Magazine
Alex Katunich (ex-Incubus)
Steve Swallow
Chris from Muse (highly unlikely but you never know!)

As for the slap argument - who cares? Yes slapping is lame but you can leave those guys to do their thing and and you do yours and you will stand out more if you're only there to show off. Easy!

#83 Bassjon

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostRomeo2, on 07 December 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

1 day at £20+ is a bit steep. If there were shop stalls with gear we always buy like strings, cables, etc. that sold this stuff at prices below the usual bargains you can find e.g. online, then it makes sense. At the moment I am not so sure.

A bit steep? This is a whole day of bass goodieness for less than a ticket to see any name band play an hour long gig.

#84 deepbass5

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

I don't feel enough major bass brands have signed up to drag me there this year. So last minute yes or no for me. If they can't be bothered why should I.

#85 blackparkas

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

A bit stunned about the complaints regarding high volumes.

If I´m off to some kind of gathering where it´s a lot of gear that you could try out, I´d be pissed if I didn´t get to try the stuff decent.
I think most of us attending these kind of events, or like Musikmesse in Frankfurt, a big reason for it is to try stuff you can´t find in the local stores.

In Sweden we have a Bassforum called Pratabas (talk bass in swedish..) and there is this meating every year where like 60-ish bassplayers with looooooads of gear get together and averyone brings all their stuff. Parts of the members is there to meat up, drink som bear and bully all the slappers, and a rather big part is there to have the ability to test eatchothers gear.
Pedals, amps, basses... you name it..
There´s been some discussion about the soundlevels there as well, but if you couldn´t be able to try stuff decently, the whole idea would be pointless.

I saw this thread and thought "Heck, I were just about to book a trip to London early this year, and why not try to plan it so it´s the same dates as this thing?"
But if it´s just clinics and no testing of gear, well, I don´t think I´m gonna bother.

#86 molan

Beyond hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

BassGear are signed up as well now and we're really pleased to have Roger Sadowsky, plus a selection of his basses, with us on the stand for the weekend.

Roger will be around to talk about his instruments, the art of a pro setup, commissioning a custom build etc.

It's very rare to see him over here so for any Sadowsky fans it'll be well worth coming along for a chat :)
Partner at www.bassgear.co.uk - subjective comments made here on BC are purely personal views as a gigging bassist!

My Feedback

#87 Burrito

Rock 'n' Rolla

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,381 posts
  • Interests:Country, Soul, Rock 'n' Roll, The 50s, 60s & 70s

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think the presence of Lee Rocker might mean I'll pull my finger out this year :)

Gibson Thunderbird into an all valve Ampeg PF50T head and 115HE Portaflex cab via a Tech 21 VT Sansamp bass pedal

ably supported by a Fender Japan 50s P-bass, a long scale Hofner Verythin bass or my Ampeg-a-like Eastwood EEB-1

European Blonde Doghouse bass with Gut-a-Like strings and David Gage Realist pickup

CaseHardin are a Clubhouse Records Artist. Check out our critically acclaimed albums "Colours Simple", "PM" & "Every Dirty Mirror" on Amazon, on iTunes and see us live too

Creedence Clearwater Revival Revival (CCRR) are a glorified drinking club who happen to play loud rock 'n' roll!

My next live show is Fri 24th February at The Eagle inWatchfield, Nr Swindon with CCRR

BassChat Terms & Conditions - - - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - - - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#88 Bassjon

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

I've bought my ticket, can't wait. Now Sadowsky are there I'm even more interested. Might even empty my bank account and invest in a new bass

#89 MrV the grin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Bass, guitars and other noise making stuff.
    Film and photography.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

One performer I would like to see is Adam Ben Ezra. Something for the acoustic low end followers amongst us. That would make a change from the norm.

#90 CamdenRob

Heft doubter...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Cricket, Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Rum...

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

The focus seems to have shifted from a show about bass gear to becoming a show about bass players with the emphasis on clinics etc. I'd much prefer to see the show focusing on attracting as many manufacturers as possible.
Bass Guitars :
Wal MK3 6 String Fretted (2015 - Ziricote)
Peterbuilt Fretless Jazz (2015 - Opal Yellow)
Moollon Classic P (2016 - Faded Sonic Blue)

Incoming Summer 2017... Wal MK3 6 String Fretless

Amplification :
Epifani Piccolo 600
Barefaced One10 (x2)

http://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users