Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

Hi guys,

The London Bass Guitar Show returns on the 7th and 8th March 2015 at London Olympia Conference Centre and we hope to see all our friends at Basschat there. There'll be superb performances on our main stage and in our masterclass suite - we've already confirmed Level 42's Mark King and the incredible Divinity Roxx - and we're working on getting more great musicians to the show in 2015.

Alongside these glorious musical interludes will be a floor packed with all the latest gear that are perfect treats for you low-end lovers! Exhibitors confirmed so far are:

Ernie Ball Music Man (Strings & Things)
Bassline Publishing
Vanderkley Amplification
AC Guitars
East UK
Aguilar, Spector, Hofner (Barnes & Mullins)
Hartke (Korg UK)
Anaconda Basses
Maruszczyk Instruments (Public Peace Music Productions)
Ellio Martina Guitars
Rikkers Guitars & Basses
Pedulla Guitars
The Academy of Contemporary Music

We'll let our Basschat friends know any news as it happens but don't forget you can read more about the show and [url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/visit/buy-tickets/"]buy tickets[/url] from our website [url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/"]www.londonbassguitarshow.com[/url] and follow us on [url="https://www.facebook.com/londonbassguitarshow?ref=bookmarks"]Facebook[/url] and [url="https://twitter.com/bassguitarshow"]Twitter[/url].

So who would you like us to get on the 2015 line-up? Any particular exhibitors who MUST be there? Let us know, we love to hear from you and we listen!

Thanks Sara - I'm tweeting this thread to spread the word to our followers, and hopefully get more opinions in :)

I'll start by mentioning that it would be nice to have a few stands that sell cheaper accessories, as opposed to high-end basses, or even low-end basses, since those too are out of reach if your exhibition budget as a visitor is only a few tens of pounds.

Edited by bluejay

It'll be fun whoever is there, my main request would be to not do the "£5 guaranteed seat" tickets that were used at the guitar show. Have there really been enough instances where shows have sold out to make this necessary? From my point of view, I like to attend both days and £30 or more extra a day to make sure I get to see people is going to get expensive. I attended the guitar show on the Saturday and we did buy tickets for Nile Rodgers, thinking it would sell out, only to be sat in an auditorium that was maybe a third full.

As it stands, and I've attended every year, the ability to pop in and out of events has made it a nice relaxed event.

Cheers
Alun

PS returning to the original question, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten, Willie Weeks or Pino Palladino would be great :-)

For two years I built and brought a left hander to the show and over the two shows one person tried one of them. I then had to discount them heavily to sell them. So from the empirical evidence it does not really encourage me to try again. Having talked to other builders about this their experience is the same hence the lack of left handers from custom builders there appears to be little interest.

Edited by skelf

Yes to all the above, especially Barrie's suggestion.

Regarding the left-handed models not getting enough attention or buyers, it's all a bit of a vicious circle - there are too few left-handed people who play left-handed, usually because there are no or too few suitable left-handed instruments available, and such a small number of lefty players makes it uneconomical for bullders to build lefty instruments, which leads to a scarcity, which leads to too many lefties playing righty, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
I have no solution to that, but I did wonder why a vendor like Spector, who came to the LBGS with at least 20 bass guitars, didn't even bother to have one lefty. Warwick had fewer models and two lefties IIRC. Hofner always has at least one violin, sometimes other models too (Thank you, Sir Paul, for putting lefties on the map...).

I was going to come to the LBGS this year, purely to try an ACG. Then Alan said he would not be bringing any, so I didn't bother. I don't blame Alan, he is a small business and it doesn't make sense to have stock which you then struggle to clear and in the end I bought a second hand ACG to try (and it is now my No. 1 bass). But the bigger manufacturers have far less of an excuse.

The bass you have was built for the London show that year and no one even asked about it. I think I was the only custom builder there with a left hander and I thought that would be a plus for the brand but it did not work out that way. Happy to build left handers I have two on the books at the moment but reluctant to build for stock.

[b]The Laurence Cottle Big Band[/b] yep the whole lot, to make up for two years ago when he had a lone spot and was forced to huddle over a piece of music on a bass bin on the corner of the main stage
So the spot would be - [b]The electric bass and its place in todays big band music[/b] - Laurance can have a guest upright player and the band can play miller standards interlaced with Gorden goodwin or some Lincoln jazz arrangements or even Buble~ and he can discuss and take questions on how each instrument ( Electric bass and upright) is best placed for the arrangement - covering EQ, ballance and the arrangements. Bust a few myths and generally educate us.
Please make this happen. if only as a ballance to the slap fest outside in the demo hall :) :) :) :) :)

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1415817701' post='2604124']
For two years I built and brought a left hander to the show and over the two shows one person tried one of them. I then had to discount them heavily to sell them. So from the empirical evidence it does not really encourage me to try again. Having talked to other builders about this their experience is the same hence the lack of left handers from custom builders there appears to be little interest.
[/quote] Unfortunately i have only been there for the first time last year. Even if you had a left hander, i probably wouldn`t have had the confidence to try it . However, next year i am a lot more assured of myself. I did try an Eve bass, but it was right handed, and couldn`t really get the feel for it. But i guess you are right that it isn`t viable if you can`t get any orders for one. I`m still looking forward to it, even if it has a lack of left handers.

I hate to be up against the spam police again, but take a look this video taken at the Newbasstone Booth at Bass Player Live 2014 [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9dCgOXMAnmQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9dCgOXMAnmQ[/url]