Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

I've been once, and perhaps it is noisy but we go to gigs or play on stages that are waaaay noisier than this so I don't get what people's problem is. Want a quiet day out - go to an art gallery (perhaps not Tate Modern, overcrowded with disinterested chatty tourists...).

Will I go again? I'd love to check out the Maruszczyk's, say hi to Adrian, or drool at other extravagant gear at prices from outer space. But the admission ticket for 1 day at £20+ is a bit steep. If there were shop stalls with gear we always buy like strings, cables, etc. that sold this stuff at prices below the usual bargains you can find e.g. online, then it makes sense. At the moment I am not so sure.

I am with you I don't like slap but having tried our experiment last year the majority seem to like it even though the majority seem to complain about it. The show is excellent you don't spend the whole day in the exhibitors section there are plenty of other things to do. So you can spend short bursts in the main hall that way it is not really a problem. The noise and the slap are only a problem if you spend the entire day in the hall then it gets a bit wearing. The guys that I see as the problem are the ones that have a party piece and play the same thing on every stand and go to every stand over the day they don't appear to be there to try gear more to show of. Might be totally wrong but having been there for three years you get time to watch what is going on.

First year I was there I hated it there was a constant barrage of slap and widdling from a nearby stand and it just wore me down. However the last two years have been much better and hopefully that will continue.

Edited by skelf

I will be going next year. I went this year. I found it no worse than the Basschat get together in Addlestone last year. There was loads of slapping and people trying to outdo each other with noise there, so perhaps it is quite hard to stop the noise as no one did anything about it . I did expect it as it is a bass show, so it didn`t bother me. I really enjoyed both events despite the noise. While £20 is a bit of cash, there isn`t much you can do for that money these days, so it isn`t too bad. I have no plans to buy anything, but it is nice to see all the gear.

I tried out a bass last year the LBGS and a couple of the people on the stand were amazed at me playing a UK Subs bassline on it, and not just hammering/slapping away at it like everyone else. They probably thought I was a bit of a caveman.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418056388' post='2626372']
I tried out a bass last year the LBGS and a couple of the people on the stand were amazed at me playing a UK Subs bassline on it, and not just hammering/slapping away at it like everyone else. They probably thought I was a bit of a caveman.
[/quote] I hope it was Warhead

• 4 weeks later...

Some people I would like to see there who I don't think have been there recently or at all:
Stefan Redtenbacher, Paul Geary and other members of Bass Guitar Magazine
Alex Katunich (ex-Incubus)
Steve Swallow
Chris from Muse (highly unlikely but you never know!)

As for the slap argument - who cares? Yes slapping is lame but you can leave those guys to do their thing and and you do yours and you will stand out more if you're only there to show off. Easy!

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1417991244' post='2625866']
1 day at £20+ is a bit steep. If there were shop stalls with gear we always buy like strings, cables, etc. that sold this stuff at prices below the usual bargains you can find e.g. online, then it makes sense. At the moment I am not so sure.
[/quote]

A bit steep? This is a whole day of bass goodieness for less than a ticket to see any name band play an hour long gig.

A bit stunned about the complaints regarding high volumes.

If I´m off to some kind of gathering where it´s a lot of gear that you could try out, I´d be pissed if I didn´t get to try the stuff decent.
I think most of us attending these kind of events, or like Musikmesse in Frankfurt, a big reason for it is to try stuff you can´t find in the local stores.

In Sweden we have a Bassforum called Pratabas (talk bass in swedish..) and there is this meating every year where like 60-ish bassplayers with looooooads of gear get together and averyone brings all their stuff. Parts of the members is there to meat up, drink som bear and bully all the slappers, and a rather big part is there to have the ability to test eatchothers gear.
Pedals, amps, basses... you name it..
There´s been some discussion about the soundlevels there as well, but if you couldn´t be able to try stuff decently, the whole idea would be pointless.

I saw this thread and thought "Heck, I were just about to book a trip to London early this year, and why not try to plan it so it´s the same dates as this thing?"
But if it´s just clinics and no testing of gear, well, I don´t think I´m gonna bother.

BassGear are signed up as well now and we're really pleased to have Roger Sadowsky, plus a selection of his basses, with us on the stand for the weekend.

Roger will be around to talk about his instruments, the art of a pro setup, commissioning a custom build etc.

It's very rare to see him over here so for any Sadowsky fans it'll be well worth coming along for a chat :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1420198250' post='2646534']
The focus seems to have shifted from a show about bass gear to becoming a show about bass players with the emphasis on clinics etc. I'd much prefer to see the show focusing on attracting as many manufacturers as possible.
[/quote]I like the performances and clinics but my focus is also looking at kit and the last 2 years have been disappointing in this respect; more kit!

[quote name='MrV the grin' timestamp='1420162264' post='2646364']
One performer I would like to see is Adam Ben Ezra. Something for the acoustic low end followers amongst us. That would make a change from the norm.
[/quote]I have been very disappointed by the lack of DB stuff at the shows, the only DB being the one on the Strings & Things stand which is there to sell DB strings.

A B Ez is just amazing, I wish I shared his talent as well as the name.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1416400560' post='2609752']
Haha, I so agree with that. LBGS guys, the single massive improvement you can make to the show is seriously enforcing the 45 minutes to the hour (or whatever proportion is deemed appropriate) silence rule. Nobody seemed to do that on any of the previous years, and loud slapping and excessively high volume were constant, and that is costing you the goodwill and custom of many, many potential visitors.
[/quote]
Plus one for this. I didn't attend last year for precisely this reason.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1420203635' post='2646629']

I have been very disappointed by the lack of DB stuff at the shows, the only DB being the one on the Strings & Things stand which is there to sell DB strings.
[/quote]

In fairness, it is the London BASS GUITAR Show.

I'd like to see Yamaha amongst the exhibitors: finding their basses to try is quite hard in my experience. I can't believe that they can't afford the show fees.

Yamaha were there two years ago ( and led to me coming away with a TRB1006) but a lot of manufacturers were missing last year. Not to bang on about the £5 thing, but I am sceptical that it's been introduced based on complaints received several years ago, and isn't connected to the Guitar Show introducing the same idea this year. If it helps to keep the price down for people that only want to see the gear then it makes sense ( and it isn't mandatory) but I'm not sure the reason given is entirely accurate.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1420375112' post='2648499']
In fairness, it is the London BASS GUITAR Show.

I'd like to see Yamaha amongst the exhibitors: finding their basses to try is quite hard in my experience. I can't believe that they can't afford the show fees.
[/quote]DB is a bass, no? I can't remember if JHS were there last year, but they have been previously and it wouldn't have killed them to bring a DB along with all of the electrics, they do distribute them after all. Bass Guitar Magazine itself has a specific DB instruction section and often features articles and interviews with DB players. The more, the merrier I say and I certainly agree about Yamaha.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420392382' post='2648756']
Having never been, I don't know how many suppliers/manufacturers/importers are usually there, but wasn't the issue last year that there was another show on either at the same time or just before?
[/quote]

Yup, the Guitar Show in Birmingham - exactly the same weekend as the LBGS 2014.