Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427390462' post='2729841']
If they can get John Entwistle I'll be there like a flash ...
[/quote]
He's dead against that sort of thing.

(Though I remember him at the Bass Centre weekend back in... late 80s?)

I'd like to see Fender/Squier there... Not because I'm looking to buy one but I think having the largest and most well known bass manufacturer would give the event some legitimacy. If the big names don't bother it kinda make it look like a bit of an amatureish event...

Big range of Warwicks, Ibanez etc would be good too.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427442154' post='2730328']
I'd like to see Fender/Squier there... Not because I'm looking to buy one but I think having the largest and most well known bass manufacturer would give the event some legitimacy. If the big names don't bother it kinda make it look like a bit of an amatureish event...

Big range of Warwicks, Ibanez etc would be good too.
[/quote]

That was part of my response to the survey too. I loved the Pedulla and other esoteric brands being there, but to get support from the mainstream guys, would be very helpful to me. I would love a very high end guitar and will probably have one at some point, meanwhile I would like to try the mainstream to see if they will give me the fix I crave.

Big manufacturers don't really have much interest for me, I can see/try their gear at GAK or Andertons, or wherever, at anytime.
Fender were there a few years ago and bought some baseman stacks and a few of the new vintage american series, it wasn't a NAMM/Messe style booth

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1427469051' post='2730805']
Big manufacturers don't really have much interest for me...
[/quote]

I've little interest in them either, I just think the presence of some of the bigger names might make the whole event feel a bit less like a village fète...

Suggestion for Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke but I suspect I've got more chance of shagging the Queen than either appearing...

Like many above not really interested in major manufacturers - love the fact that the likes of ACG, GB (Goodfellows) and Status make an appearance each year even though (I believe) doing so is pretty expensive.

LONG LIVE THE LBGS!!!

Edited by TheGreek

The problem for big manufacturers is that the Bass show is in between the 2 main trade shows, NAMM and Messe. As you can imagine this is not cheap for any company to do so I guess they prioritise where the big money is. There was a year with Ibanez, Warwick and Fender and it did give it a more Pro feel to the show, however I personally, because I work in the industry, get to test their instruments in a daily basses so I am more for smaller builders of good quality products like the people who come to exhibit at the show.

It is easy to walk into most music shops and find Fender and Ibanez basses but how often can you find a Sadowsky, Dingwall, Pedulla..etc. Thanks to the show I fell in love with ACG basses a few years ago and I bought one, and now I got to meet Adrian Maruszczyk and found his basses to be amazing and great value for money, so I ordered one and sold my Fender jazz to order one of his Jazz basses. To me there is something more special about an instrument being built in a small workshop where a handful of people work for the love of building musical instruments and not because they need a job like most people who work in the factories of the bigger companies! you get my point haha..

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1425821044' post='2711024']

Oh and this happened.

Photo by Paul Sips (the guy with the hat). I'm on the far left.
[/quote]

Someone was asking about the guy in the hat - that's Paul Sips, owner of Paul's Bass Matters in Nijmegen, The Netherlands - one of my favourite people in the world. He's incredibly knowledgable about pretty everything bass related, a wonderful player and a big part of the fun at bass shows like this, which as well as all the stuff going on on stages and stands, are an amazing opportunity to catch up with friends I rarely get to see (on the other side of Scott is another incredible bassist and human, Claudio Zanghieri - bassist, composer, teacher, BFF :) )

I had a fantastic weekend - was absolutely blown away by both of Divinity's sets (her masterclass was about the best 45 minutes of anything I've seen/heard at a bass show in many years), Doug Wimbish was the best I've ever seen him (massive props to Dave Marks and Darby Todd who did an amazing job as his band!) and Yolanda Charles' band, with Federico Malaman and the amazing Rob Harris on guitar was outstanding. Sunday's line-up of Divinity into Yolanda into Doug Wimbish was pretty much my perfect bass day line-up :)

All in, a killer weekend :)

(sorry to be so late to the party)

Steve

I`d like to see Fender there purely from a point of being the makers of the 1st electric bass. Agreed most of us can see their products in many music shops but the history of the instrument says to me that Fender should be there.

Bassists-wise, well I`d like to see Bruce Foxton or JJ Burnell there. Duff McKagan would be good too.

Ah yes that was me asking Steve. was just curious as there were quite a few persons asking him for photos. Doug really killed it for me, and that morning session of Yolanda and Federico was amazing. I can't never compliment you enough on your choice of footwear!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1427790367' post='2734155']
I'd really like to see someone like steve di Giorgio, Neil Murray, or even someone like lemmy make appearances at the show.
Considering the artists we have already seen at the show over the years, there are some real challenges to keep the standard high!!
[/quote]

DiGiorgio would be amazing. I can't imagine Lemmy responding too well to being asked to do his own Masterclass though!

I would love to see Colin Hodgkinson, now currently with Ten Years After, and I reckon JJ Burnel would go down a storm.

• 4 weeks later...