Why become a member? ×

3 weeks on DB.

Highfox

I just wanted to say to anyone that might be thinking of starting DB, that I just took the leap after 35 years of playing electric.
I was always scared of but at the same time a little intrigued by it. Maybe the physical size or the reputation (that you had to be an exceptionally good player to play DB) always put me off :)

Well..., 3 weeks in my technique is crap, my fingers hurt, I could do with lessons, but I'm enjoying it immensely, I guess I do have the added bonus after already playing the electric and fretless, of how it should be sounding.
It's a challenge for me, where fun comes first and it's not disappointing.
Maybe I should add I have no great expectations with this instrument other than selfish enjoyment and possibly it to be thrust upon the ears of the public at some point.

Just do it...

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1415885991' post='2604826']
Or a hat-wearer for that matter :yarr:
[/quote]

Oh yes it does. Give it time. :D

Great that you're enjoying it, Highfox. You'll come to think it's the best thing you ever did.

Dunno about you, but I've hardly touched the electric since I started.

I've been playing about 2 years now
Although I don't think I've improved too much

I'd say, just build up the amount of time on the DB slowly....
You are using different muscles, and those you have been using, you are now using differently
I'd say get a few lessons too (although I've been lazy in that respect)

There are links to some good Youtube lessons on here too
So seek them out as well

Glad to hear you're enjoying it
It is fun eh? Addictive too :)

Good luck

Thanks Guys.
I have been finding it fairly physical, I do about 10-15 minutes at a time and then go back after a break.
As you suggested I checked out a fair bit on YT and that helped a bit I think (hope) , I really should and must book some lessons but I'm just enjoying discovering it and the freedom that it has given me atm.
I have also been playing along to some backing tracks trying to get the intonation sorted a bit more, it's good to have to listen more.

It is very addictive and keeps me going back for more.
Last week I had to leave it alone for one day before band practice or I may of let the guys in the band down with a bit of lazy (painful) finger work on the electric :)