Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette 6 pickup / preamp upgrade suggestions

72deluxe

Hello everybody

I have a 6 string Warwick Corvette which sounds great (clarity from the bubinga body) but I find it lacks power, and I'm cranking the gain on the preamp all the time. I have an FNA Jazzman that has a massive humbucker on it and the output from that bass is significantly higher and punchier, so I was hoping to upgrade the pickups on my Corvette. It has a dodgy treble/bass pot which needs replacing, but I would welcome suggestions for preamp or pickup upgrades!

There was another thread from some years ago (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175134-warwick-pickups/) that discussed something similar but I would really welcome suggestions.

I had a look on the Bartolini site but I'm not sure where to start!

Thanks in advance
Rich

• 2 weeks later...

How about a different preamp instead if you like the sound? Much less likely to be a problem fitting cosmetically into your bass, and I personally really like Mec pickups - but the preamps do seem to have somewhat inconsistent things going on from instrument to instrument. I love my mec preamp for it's tone, but it's a tiny bit hissy (the treble is jacked up by default in most mec preamps so this CAN happen, but it still "shouldn't").

I'd look into a new preamp with more flexibility in gain staging. some allow you to setup overall volume using a little control inside the cavity - you could look to see if yours has that already, but it probably doesn't.

Does the corvette have active pickups or passive ones? I believe quite a number of the corvettes have passive pickups and an active EQ which would probably sound quite different anyway and might also mean that if you changed the pickups you'd need to change the EQ anyway

Thanks for the info and advice. I think the pickups are passive (from what I can glean from the conflicting schematics on Warwick's site) but with a powered EQ.

Are onboard replacement preamps pretty much standard fittings and wirings? I am not entirely sure where to start with it, sadly. They look expensive to just "try out"!