Why become a member? ×

Flexocore vs Spirocore

dudi8

Hi!
my DB has Flexocores standard strings now, which i got the bass with them, they sound great, but I'm reading lately that the flexocores are more for arco than pizzicato, should i change to spirocores weich? (I've never tried them before, but heard they are really good)

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a good overview:
http://doublebassblog.org/2008/09/bass-strings-geek-out.html

I would only caution that there are two different sets of Spirocore weich's - 3/4 and 4/4; the 3885W 3/4 set have a tad more tension and in my view are the most under-appreciated strings out there, since most people are only familiar with the S42 4/4 weich set, which has so little tension they can actually twang on some basses.

Make sure you contact Daf Lewis of this forum for any recommendations on Innovation strings, which sponsor this forum, and are great strings, as many people don't know they make such a wide selection of strings.

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1417442839' post='2620349']
Other option is to use the Spiro Mittel S42 set. As it's 4/4 scale, if you put them on a 3/4 the tension is noticably lower. On my bass its kinda halfway between weich and mittel.
[/quote]

I was going to try this as I liked the sound of mitts on my bass but the tension was difficult. I put a set of 3885OW on there, put the action up a turn on the adjusters and am really happy with the tone, volume and playability. The weichs are a nice string for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1417643129' post='2622668']
I was going to try this as I liked the sound of mitts on my bass but the tension was difficult. I put a set of 3885OW on there, put the action up a turn on the adjusters and am really happy with the tone, volume and playability. The weichs are a nice string for sure.
[/quote]
Yes, everybody tends to gravitate towards the S42 Weichs on a 3/4 bass for lesser tension, or S42 Mitts to really bring out a bass that has a top that needs them. But the 3885W set is to my ears and fingers the best set and the least appreciated set for a really good combination of tone and tension.