Why become a member? ×

Can't believe you charge 'so little' to post For Sale ads

DavidMcKay

Hi

I fully understand that everything carries a cost but I tried to post a For Sale ad and was confronted with either a £20 or a £7 fee option.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit steep?

David

UPDATE: I finally bit the bullet and posted my ad for £7. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249457-aria-sinsonido-silent-travel-bass-fretless/"]View here[/url] to see what all the fuss was about.

Cheers,

David

Edited by DavidMcKay

Depends what you're selling I suppose. For me personally, I dont think its really worth it... mianly cos I only sell cheaper range stuff, and only on occasion. On the other hand, If I was selling a £600 bass, I think this is a top place to do it. and for £7 quid, its certainly worth it.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1415990940' post='2605950']
If I was selling a £600 bass, I think this is a top place to do it. and for £7 quid, its certainly worth it.
[/quote]

Quite - as eBay would charge you at least £60 to sell a £600 bass - plus PayPal fees, etc.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1415990918' post='2605949']
I'm sure a Moderator will be along soon to confirm the details behind this but I think you can post as many adverts as you like for 12 months for the once-off fee and you pay no commission on successful sales, unlike eBay.
[/quote]

Correct.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1415991115' post='2605952']
If your item is less than £50 in value then as far as I remember posting the sale is free. Mods will confirm this. I'm sure the details are in a sticky at the top of the for sale pages.
[/quote]

Correct, though you will get beaten by a masked moderator if you under value your goods for sale.

It's also worth a mention that unlike Gumtree, if anything goes wrong with your sale/purchase, you have a support staff here that will voluntarily do their best to look after you. That's not a 'paid for service' and not expected of us, but we'd do that - because we look out for our community users*

*except the odd rogue, who we feed to Ped's dog.

Yep - I'm getting the message, and there is a real sense of people wishing to do the right thing and support the community - but I still maintain that the charge issue raised its head as I attempted to post an item for sale whereas I feel that an earlier 'heads up' might have been in order.

Perhaps it is the Scotsman in me!

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1415992146' post='2605972']
Subbeh

Actually that's a good point, and one that I never considered. My ad would be seen by bassists as opposed to general 'traffic' that may or may not have an interest in bass guitars. I'm not saying I'm convinced but I definately get the logic of your argument.
[/quote] for some things gumtree is good, for most other things Basschat is good. Once in a blue moon ebay might be good..... the good thing is that you can also hunt around the old posts and work out realistic prices for whatever you're selling too.

Fair point Luke FRC - especially as I am new to this. I actually enjoy looking through old posts to salivate over all the bass guitars I cannot afford - yet!

Nonetheless I have had considerable success with Gumtree and I haven't paid a penny in fees. Perhaps I have been spoiled and it is time to get real.

Cheers,

David

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1415992517' post='2605981']
Yep - I'm getting the message, and there is a real sense of people wishing to do the right thing and support the community - but I still maintain that the charge issue raised its head as I attempted to post an item for sale whereas I feel that an earlier 'heads up' might have been in order.

Perhaps it is the Scotsman in me!
[/quote]

It is recommended to read the Terms & Conditions beforehand in order to make informed decisions; they're easy enough to find. This would head off any surprises, perhaps..? ;)[size=4] [/size]

We don't do hidden, varying or complex fee structures - i's a flat fee, no insertion charges or percentage of final sale price.

Like most things involving money, it pays to think ahead though.

If you're planning on selling three or more pieces of kit in the next 12 months then the £20 option gives you all the ads you can post for a year.

If it's just one or two things you're planning to sell then the £7 option makes more sense.

Items below £50 can be advertised free of charge.

If a sale falls through, we simply reopen the ad for you - no extra charges or insertion\relisting fees.

Paying for the advert upfront is no different from the way that advertising was done prior to eBay and I can't recall ever ordering anything from a website and being offered 'COD' as a payment option. :)

This is BassChat - we have a small number of volunteers who work behind the scenes to make this place work nicely. We're not eBay with 32,000 employees and datacentres dotted all over the world. :)