Why become a member? ×

Can't believe you charge 'so little' to post For Sale ads

DavidMcKay

At the point in the procedings can I also mention that members who have capitalised on the £20 per anum for unlimited adverts can still donate voluntarily if you feel the site is worth supporting. Sort of like voluntarily registering for VAT. Sort of. ;)

I think David does raise a good point actually - not re the fees but about the visibility of them. I realise there are the Marketplace Rules at the top of all the for sale forums but it's quite easy to overlook them as page furniture. In the past we've had long standing members who have been unaware that fees are now charged.

Perhaps a welcome email pointing out that the site is supported by paid adverts would help?

Gumtree now charges for ads too. I think you get something like 2 free ads, then it's about £2 per-ad after that. Or, if you have multiple email addresses, you can make a new account an circumvent the charges, but that's a lot of hassle for the sake of a free ad.

£20 on BassChat gets you unlimited ads to sell your gear for 12 months, which alone isn't bad at all, but then factor in the 30,000 musicians that you are advertising to. 30,000 people who know what they're after, and know what it's worth, and they'll see your ad.

Or one could spend their time advertising to people who mostly won't care or know a thing about what you're selling - i.e. general Gumtree traffic.

I've sold stuff on Gumtree before - I've found that 90% of people who reply are time-wasters. 90% of people who reply on BassChat are genuinely interested and ready to buy.

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but £20 to advertise specifically to your target market isn't bad.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1415995531' post='2606039']
If it's just one or two things you're planning to sell then the £7 option makes more sense
[/quote]

We all plan to sell one or two things, then GAS strikes and the £20 option makes more sense :lol:

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1415996934' post='2606068']
Folks

I offer a most sincere apology if I have offended anyone or belittled their contribution to Basschat - that was never my intention. If you look through my responses you will hopefully see that I do also have a sense of humour and that I have not been on the warpath with a complaint - consider it more a request that the fee structure is made more explicit.

I have had my knuckles rapped for trying to sneak in a sale - rightly so but I am a chancer! - and I will now request that this topic be closed. Whether I pay the insertion fees will remain a story for another day!

Thank you for the responses and the odd touches of humour.

Regards,

David

PS: anyone got a Cort B4 fretless going for £250?
[/quote]

No apology needed but I notice you haven't changed the Post title as suggested...! :P

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416012430' post='2606240']
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2189-yorks5stringer/"]yorks5stringer[/url][/b]

Damn you Sir! Now that I have changed the title the whole bloody conversation doesn't fit.

And when will I get my Cort B4FL?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have £250 waiting and some virgin fingers waiting to get chapped!

David
[/quote]

There's one going for £285 delivered in the For Sale forum if you can go a bit over your limit... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/247990-fs-cort-b4fl-fretless/ suggest you PM the BCer to show your interest...

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1415991835' post='2605968']Finally - this is my first post and it has already gotten a few replies in a matter of minutes. Perhaps I can elevate my ranking to a top poster by being as controversial as possible! Simply a thought.......[/quote]

[IMG]http://i.giphy.com/7CG6pZwq74nte.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1415992325' post='2605976']
It's also worth a mention that unlike Gumtree, if anything goes wrong with your sale/purchase, you have a support staff here that will voluntarily do their best to look after you. That's not a 'paid for service' and not expected of us, but we'd do that - because we look out for our community users*
[/quote]

In my case though (and i suspect ALOT of cases) this is worthless. Unless you pay via paypal/mastercard you have no rights. I would urge noone to part money based on the fact the seller is a basschat user. Just because you paid for the ad doenst mean the seller is not just a random dude on the street looking to9 rip you off.

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1416084801' post='2606798']
In my case though (and i suspect ALOT of cases) this is worthless. Unless you pay via paypal/mastercard you have no rights. I would urge noone to part money based on the fact the seller is a basschat user. Just because you paid for the ad doenst mean the seller is not just a random dude on the street looking to9 rip you off.
[/quote]

If you get ripped off, we do our best to track down the person who has wronged. BassChat as a community on more than one occasion has been instrumental in helping to reach a happy resolution. This detective work amongst community users has stretched across other internet communities and sometimes in to other countries. Rights aside, Gumtree doesn't give a crap if you've been ripped off. Basschat does. Worthless?

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1416084801' post='2606798']
In my case though (and i suspect ALOT of cases) this is worthless.
[/quote]

Yours was a particularly impossible one to resolve - we did track down the miscreant... and so did the Police.

He was charged with, and found guilty of, multiple fraud offences on Gumtree, along with various other sales sites, and skipping drug tests he was previously ordered to do from a previous sentence.

Looking at what he'd been up to, the odds were always pretty much stacked against us from getting the result we wanted.

I spoke with the Police force involved and gave you the number to call in order report the fraud.
He got a lifetime ban from BassChat (and several other sites as well).

I really can't see anything else we could have done to resolve this one. :(

I don't know that many people at all get ripped off on Basschat. I've heard of it happening maybe once or twice in my entire time on this forum. And one of those times it was just a misunderstanding - the seller had gone off the grid for a while and the buyer panicked. Of course, I'm not privy to all the gossip Re: the sales forums.

However - Basschat has a lot of very well known members who are on here regularly, and are pretty open about who they are. The owners and operators of the site will also see IP addresses, I presume, which makes people a bit easier to track down.

The benefit of BassChat is that it's not a sales website. It's a forum, where lots of people know each other quite well, and they look out for each other. It's big enough that it's an effective way to sell, but small enough that it still feels like an online community, where people regularly pop up.

That's bound to be worth something. I know I'd rather sell something to, for example, iCastle, than to, for example, Bob from Gumtree.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1416108832' post='2606983']
That Bob from Gumtree is a time-wasting tyre kicker and smells of cheap after-shave.

Avoid.
[/quote]
At least he's not as bad as Tim.

I haven't sold much on here (only because I haven't had much to sell), but I see £20 as a very small amount back for all the knowledge & help I've had over the years from the members on this site.
Without this site, I wouldnt have gotten these people's knowledge & had to resort to Talkbass, where I would need to work to identify the knowledgable people in a sea of spotty (& unspotty) teenagers.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1416108832' post='2606983']
That Bob from Gumtree is a time-wasting tyre kicker and smells of cheap after-shave.

Avoid.
[/quote]

I know! He came to see my Fiesta, kicked the tyres, sucked his teeth, then offered me £200 for it! And worse than that, his horrible aftershave was clearly only to cover up the fact that he had been drinking all morning!

In defence of Basschat (the site), there have been a number of occasions where the Basschat massive have come to the aid of someone who has been ripped off, even to the extent of a whip-around. As much of what happens on Gumtree and eBay is between the buyer and seller, it is to the credit of this site that the mods have been open about an occasion where they could not do any more to help..
The feedback system here is a good place to start...before buying off anyone, read their feedback from other buyers and sellers and form your own opinion.
Thanks for changing the post title!!