Why become a member? ×

Can't believe you charge 'so little' to post For Sale ads

DavidMcKay

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]UPDATE: I finally bit the bullet and posted my ad for £7. [/font][/color][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249457-aria-sinsonido-silent-travel-bass-fretless/"]View here[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] to see what all the fuss was about (shameless plug but I really couldn't help myself!).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]David[/font][/color]

You paid your money, plug away!

I always use a link in my signature to the listing, you can do that in the edit section of your profile.

Good luck with the sale, I was dubious about the pricing when I joined BC, experience has taught me how wrong I was, BC has been extremely kind to me, and others, with sales.

Edited by Chiliwailer

If you're just providing a link to an advert correctly posted on this site within your signature, fair enough.

If you are trying to pull a fast one in order to sell stuff that you haven't paid to advertise then we will take your signature file outside and prepare a shallow grave for it... in a deeply spiritual and purely loving way of course...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1416178352' post='2607755']
If you're just providing a link to an advert correctly posted on this site within your signature, fair enough.

If you are trying to pull a fast one in order to sell stuff that you haven't paid to advertise then we will take your signature file outside and prepare a shallow grave for it... in a deeply spiritual and purely loving way of course...
[/quote]

Oh right. It was explained to me that links to ads weren't allowed because the mods would have to check them all to make sure they're all legit, so it's just easier to outlaw them.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1416179321' post='2607766']
Oh right. It was explained to me that links to ads weren't allowed because the mods would have to check them all to make sure they're all legit, so it's just easier to outlaw them.
[/quote]

Using [i]that [/i]'logic' we'd ban all posts on all topics. Much easier to moderate. I was voted down, though, by a very narrow majority. :mellow:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1416180016' post='2607770']
Using [i]that [/i]'logic' we'd ban all posts on all topics. Much easier to moderate. I was voted down, though, by a very narrow majority. :mellow:
[/quote]

Well, it's not my logic. I asked about that rule once, and was told that "for sale" links in the signature weren't allowed because it would take too much time to sift through all the sigs and check their validity, so it's easier to ban them. And I'm fine with that - I certainly wouldn't want to spend large portions of my free time checking signatures.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1416179321' post='2607766']
[/quote]

If it's a link, as opposed to just text, then rolling a mouse over it shows where the link is - provided it's on BC then there's no problem.

If anyone is struggling to do the 'link' thing in their signature, then we're only a PM away and it saves me reaching for my trusty shovel... ;)

[size=4][quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1416180297' post='2607774']
Well, it's not my logic. I asked about that rule once, and was told that "for sale" links in the signature weren't allowed because it would take too much time to sift through all the sigs and check their validity, so it's easier to ban them. And I'm fine with that - I certainly wouldn't want to spend large portions of my free time checking signatures.
[/quote][/size]
[size=4]Extract from Terms & Conditions...[/size]
[size=4][color=#800080]...[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#800080][i]16. Marketplace [/i]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]( c ) Items for sale or links to items for sale are not allowed to be shown in member's signatures unless the item, or link to it, is an item that is advertised for sale or trade within the forum guidelines by the same member on this website.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1416680528' post='2612627']
Well - after all the dust has settled down and I finally paid my £7 to post the ad I ended up selling via Gumtree.

Sods law.

David
[/quote]

Sometimes that's just the way it goes. I've posted ads on eBay before only to have one of my mates say the next day "I'm looking one of those, sure I'll buy it. Take it off eBay.".

• 5 months later...

I've been doing buying and selling of my gear on Facebook fairly successfully and free and lurking here. Friend recommended I try selling here and I was a bit unsure at first of paying out £20. But now I've sold loads of stuff and it seems well worth it!

One of the things I like about buying / selling on BC is that most people have extensive feedback and are active members of the forum. it's reassuring to know that someone will be contactable in the event of any difficulties :)

There is also a strong coming together of everyone on the rare occasions that someone does try and rip someone else off.