Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard 5 - low output level, wrong pots?!

dannybuoy

I just received today one of these:

And it is THE quietest bass I've ever had. I can boost the gain on the amp, but for it to sound good with other dirt pedals it needs a bit of juicing so I'm resorting to using a Phat Phuk B boost as an always on pedal.

I opened it up and spotted something that doesn't look quite right. This is a passive bass with humbuckers and the volume pots are Alpha B25K jobbies. I know Fenders use 250K and I though most humbucker equipped basses like T-Birds used 500K?

Any opinions on whether these pots sound totally wrong and if I could expect a volume boost by replacing them for 500K ones?

Also considering making it active, there's enough room in there for a pre without having to route a battery box!

Check the wiring diagram that Warwick have online. I had one of these (4 stringer) and the output was abysmal. Using the wiring diagram I found and sorted a wiring fault. Output was good after that.

If you want a quiet bass try my Gibson SG bass. Great sound just very limp in the output department.

Me too! I have a passive Streamer Std (not Rockbass, but not full-fat Warwick either) with MEC pickups and although it sounds lovely (really lovely) it is significantly lower output than any other bass I own - judged purely subjectively by A/B'ing through my rig. I used to use a clean boost to avoid faffing with the amp when switching instruments, which works fine, but tbh my general belief in simplifying my setup wherever possible (and laziness) have caused my to effectively retire the bass from live use :unsure:

From my guitar playing days I've always had a soft spot for Gordon Smith instruments and I stumbled across this the other day [url="http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/archive/products/volumax-and-blacklab-booster/"]http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/archive/products/volumax-and-blacklab-booster/[/url] which looks interesting. The fact that they are starting to do basses is promising too...

• 4 months later...

This bass had sat neglected for a while until I tried boosting the output to reasonable levels with a BB Preamp then feeding that into a Darkglass B7K. Sounded so damn good I now intend to keep this and will be sorting out new pots and a preamp for it soon!

• 8 months later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1429093956' post='2747849']
I looked up the schematic on the Warwick site and it has 25K pots on too. Before hooking up a preamp I will mess about with some resistors and/or hooking up the pups directly to the output jack.
[/quote]

Hello Dannybuoy,

I know this thread is already off the radar but I came to the same discovery as yours too.I won't bore the story here.Below I include a link about my finding.I think the technical info doesn't make any sense at all.

http://yustech.blogspot.my/2015/12/which-warwick-rockbass-streamer_11.html

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1450469292' post='2933220']
Thanks for posting! I fitted a Darkglass preamp to it, and fed into a B3K for more gain, it does sound great. But I am considering swapping out the pups for some EMG or Delano soapbars!
[/quote]

Do the have/sell pickups with the exact dimension? I have checked/looked online about Bartolini's W4CBC-B(7.2k-Neck) and W4CBC-T(10k-Bridge).They look like it will fit.I will do a check on EMG and Delano too.Thanks for the enlightenment.

I did measure them a while back and the EMGs / Delanos were very slightly smaller but would fit. I'll do that again and post the measurements.

There are too many EMG soapbars models to choose from though! The other, potentially cheaper and better looking option is to get them rewound. I wouldn't normally go to these lengths to fix a cheap bass but apart from the pickups it's great!

• 4 years later...
On 19/12/2015 at 02:49, dannybuoy said:

I did measure them a while back and the EMGs / Delanos were very slightly smaller but would fit. I'll do that again and post the measurements.

Hi there! I have Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 STD and I have just the same problem as yours - low output and if I try to boost it a little bit, it becomes muddy and distorted. I considered the option of upgrading pick-ups to some EMG soapbars, could you please let me know if it worked properly for you?