Why become a member? ×

How to play a song in Eb - drop tuning etc

stefBclef

Hey guys

I am covering Superstition by Stevie Wonder - the recording is in Eb, and I was wondering how I should go about playing this using my 4 string. Bear in mind that the low Eb is must for this bass line :)

I thought of 2 options (apart from playing the song in E):

1. De-tune my bass - all 4 strings a semitone.
2. De-tune just my E string and then try and learn the line like this. In this case should I de tune the E string to D or Eb?

Are there any other options or is there a preferred method out there? Thanks!!! :)

We just played this at uni last week, the intro, first verse and first chorus, on bass, then had to play the rest on synth bass.

I play a 6, so had no problem, those on a 4 string either tuned the whole bass down a semi-tone, so they still had the 4th tuning, others just tuned the E to Eb.

It's up to whatever you feel comfortable with.

Edited by ambient

According to an interview I read in Bass Player, Nathan Watts, Stevie's long time bassist, tunes his whole bass down a semi tone.
Personally, I would use a 5 to get round that issue but I appreciate that may not be an option for you.

Edited by PTB

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1416235941' post='2608142']
Bear in mind that there's a low Db in there, in the original riff, so even in E you'd want to tune down to get that.
[/quote]

This. A fiver is very useful for this track. Plus playing this in E is pratical for guitar & bass players, I'm not sure the lead singer will agree though :D

Edited by Hooch

I keep my bass in standard tuning and use an octave pedal in order to try and get close to the synth sound of the original (I can't be bothered to take my synth to gigs for 1 tune...). Chaka Khan's 'Ain't Nobody' is another function tune that gets called a lot and (to my ears, at least) works better with the octave pedal treatment.