Why become a member? ×

1958 Fender Precision hardware query

SisterAbdullahX

Hi,
I'm in the process of building a '58 Precision using Mighty Mite and Fender parts. Would like it to look as authentic to the original as possible and need to know what hardware was chrome and what was nickel. I know the current '58 reissues use chrome tuners and knobs but I've seen a Custom Shop reissue with what looks like aged nickel parts. Any of you history buffs able to help me out here?

Cheers!

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

I'll throw this out actually hoping somebody will correct me.

Tuners, string tree, strap buttons, knobs, all small screws: nickel.

Bridge plate, bridge cover, pickup cover, neck plate, neck screws: chrome.

AFAIK there was quite some variance at Fullerton, but the above tallies with what I've seen and what we've grown used to with the better reissues.

Indeed, there was a lot of variation. Fender used a combination of nickel and chrome parts which must have looked similar when new, but which age differently of course, the nickel fading somewhat and the chrome remaining bright, if a little pitted.

The interesting thing is that Fender mixed nickel and chrome within the same part. For e.g., the bridge plate is chrome but the saddles are nickel.

This can also apply to the tuners, which though generally described as Klusons were partly made by Fender themselves, in particular the post. It's not unusual to find the main part of the tuner, including the cog and stem, to be nickel, while the post (into which the string goes) is chrome! As I said, when new this would have looked fine, but now appears quite odd.

Sorry if I'm being a bit anal! Johnny

Yes, the small parts were nickel plated. However, just how "authentic" do you want to be? Many of the small parts would corrode prematurely. I use stainless steel pickguard screws and chrome knobs, because they last longer and don't corrode. You can't tell the difference from the edge of the stage. Even though I understand the desireability of the cosmetics to be congruent to the tone, I would recommend as many chrome plated parts or stainless steel small parts as possible to prevent corrosion.