Why become a member? ×

Custom wooden pickguards in the UK anyone?

miles'tone

I've been checking out some nice wooden pickguards online but most companies who make them either just have stock shapes and/or they are over in the states.
Anyone know of anyone on these shores who may do custom wood guards? It's for my Squier VM P5 so I expect to send my existing guard to be used as a template.

Cheeoz.

Still try the various ebay suppliers in the US ? i used seller:seyanne and madisons music store (in wisconsin) off evilbay - they have lots of types and the latter in particular is very helpful. shipping is quite quick and they do try and combine.

Edited by Geek99

You could always cover the existing pg in woodgrain vinyl. I did my whole bass in it!

Incidentally I am extremely jealous. I have serious GAS for a VM P5 at the moment!

In fact, if you send me your bass I'll cover the guard in vinyl for you. Can't guarantee you'll get it back mind you 😜!

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1416584285' post='2611697']
You could always cover the existing pg in woodgrain vinyl. I did my whole bass in it!

Incidentally I am extremely jealous. I have serious GAS for a VM P5 at the moment!

In fact, if you send me your bass I'll cover the guard in vinyl for you. Can't guarantee you'll get it back mind you 😜!
[/quote]

Wow I never thought of that. Hmm I shall look into it.. Where did you get yours from? Looks so natural!

Yes the VM P5's are cracking basses. But out of all the things we can get gas for, at least these are realistically attainable. I thought I'd take a punt on this "cheaper" Squier until I could afford a "proper" Fender P5. Really don't see the point in spending all that extra cash now.
It feels great (after a good set up and DR Lowriders fitted - killer B string now) and sounds like a good Precision. Job done!
Go for it, you know it makes sense! ;)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1416584285' post='2611697']

In fact, if you send me your bass I'll cover the guard in vinyl for you. Can't guarantee you'll get it back mind you !
[/quote]
That's quite impressive.
What did you stick it with and curl it over the edges with.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1416610275' post='2612002']

Wow I never thought of that. Hmm I shall look into it.. Where did you get yours from? Looks so natural!

Yes the VM P5's are cracking basses. But out of all the things we can get gas for, at least these are realistically attainable. I thought I'd take a punt on this "cheaper" Squier until I could afford a "proper" Fender P5. Really don't see the point in spending all that extra cash now.
It feels great (after a good set up and DR Lowriders fitted - killer B string now) and sounds like a good Precision. Job done!
Go for it, you know it makes sense! ;)
[/quote]
I've had one now for a few months. Excellent bass, and I too see little point in paying lots more for a Fender which only has Posiflex rods as a major difference.
PS Chromes on mine.

Edited by Telebass

The item number on eBay for the vinyl I used is 161189056270. It does look pretty good even fairly close up.
It's self adhesive so you just peel off the backing and stick it down and because it's vinyl it had some stretch to it so follows the contours round the edges pretty well anyway!