Why become a member? ×

Strings for 1/2 size and action for soft hands!

Telebass

Although the strings will cost me almost as much as the bass, I'm looking at getting either Spirocore or Pirazzi weichs.
Scale is 98.5cm/38.75", so is that tension the correct choice?

Action is approx 3.5mm G and 5mm E at the end of the fingerboard - how does that sound?

Many thanks for your patience with n00b questions!

Den

I hadn't realised Innovation did 1/2 size strings

As someone who hasn't been playing DB that long,
I too found many DB strings to be uncomfortable, and with too high a tension, initially

Then I tried Innovation Silver Slaps, and loved them
The tension was much lower, and I found them much more comfortable to play
Honeys do indeed have a slightly lower tension than the others you mention
But give the silver slaps some consideration....

They are slightly darker sounding again, but they're great strings (EDIT: And slightly lower tension than the Honeys too, I think)
.... and Innovations are generally cheaper too - think I paid about £85 incl P&P

Good luck
I know it's not as simple a choice as strings for bass guitar!
Cheers

Edited by Marc S

Hey Marc, your speaking/scale length is likely longer than the 38.75" of Telebass' 1/2 size bass so Silver Slaps would be even lower tension on the latter, possibly too low (becoming floppy). Super Silvers are the medium tension version of Silver Slaps and may be better suited in this instance. Thoughts anyone?

My Kolstein travel bass has a c.39" speaking length and has very nice action with Kolstein Heritage strings on - steels with a very slightly old school gutty sound. After you have paid import/shipping they are about £120 [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2304-KOLSTEIN_HERITAGE_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRINGS.html"]http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2304-KOLSTEIN_HERITAGE_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRINGS.html[/url] Alternatively Spiro Weich worked well on my Kolstein