Why become a member? ×

31 band Graphic

Kevin Dean

It's doubtful that this type of equipment is anticipating being 'driven' by an instrument. It probably is looking more for 'line level' signals, such as those from a PA console. I'd suggest,as default, that it would be best served using the fx send-return on the amp. The spec would help; what make/model is it..?
An ancillary question... Why do you want to use a 31-band graphic on a bass..? Just curious.

A 31 band eq isn't needed for bass. 11 is probably more than enough. With 31, you could spend all evening at sound check trying to get it to sound right. Especially if you're not sure what frequencies do what in relation to what you're hearing.
But if you're going to use one, then like Dad says, put it in the fx loop.

I'd suggest ditching the graphic eq altogether and go with a parametric eq - much more flexibility and you get to dial into the specific frequencies that match your bass. I have a 4 band valve unit by TL Audio that has been very useful.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1416240374' post='2608201']
A 31 band eq isn't needed for bass. 11 is probably more than enough. With 31, you could spend all evening at sound check trying to get it to sound right. Especially if you're not sure what frequencies do what in relation to what you're hearing.
But if you're going to use one, then like Dad says, put it in the fx loop.
[/quote] can you get a rack mount 11 band EQ ?

You probably can't get an 11 band rack mount graphic eq. That doesn't mean that a 31 band is the right tool for the job. The Guys are right - it's a lot easier to screw things up with this much power unless you are an expert sound tech IMHO. That's why very few of us bassists use them.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1416243026' post='2608230']
can you get a rack mount 11 band EQ ?
[/quote]

DOD SR410..? 15-band. Cheap enough (<£100..?), but not many about. Why..? Probably because EQ of this type is not in great demand. 31-band by the ton, for PA work, but very little for instruments. What problem are you trying to solve..?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1416244186' post='2608250']
It's funny I just have bass, mid and treble controls and don't really use them very much.

:)
[/quote]

...which is fine, as it indicates that you've not got a problem. I use a Hiwatt PA head, with only Treble and Bass. I set them to 'Flat', thank you very much. Wonderful. For me. The OP, however, apparently has some problem other, that his amp eq cannot solve, so has quite rightly asked for advice. That's what we're trying to give; it's a little bit what BC is all about.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1416243026' post='2608230']
can you get a rack mount 11 band EQ ?
[/quote]
Not that I know of, but you can get plenty of eq pedals. These are usually more suited to bass.
The closest I got to using an equaliser was using a moog bass Murf, but that was to split frequencies & add more effects to them.
What's wrong with the amp's eq section?

Just to reinforce the idea that 31 band graphics are essentially used to 'tune' PAs to rooms by compensating for acoustic anomalies.
A good 4 band parametric with variable or switchable Q and a choice of peak or shelf on the High and Low Bands would be a betoter option for comprehensive tone eq (think good mixing desk channel).

A friend of mine recently bought a 31-band eq and uses it in his bass rig. He explained me that allows him to boost/cut close Q frequencies and this makes his basses very versatile. I didn't check this personally, but why not ? As for tone sculpting, I'd better go for a real 2-band parametric EQ or a top grade band EQ such as ATI ones, but it's a lot of money first and it cannot reproduce this "close boost-cut freq".

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1416591212' post='2611762']
I would mainly use a 31band eq to add more headroom on mics (turn up the mic until it feedbacks, then drop that freq from that mics monitor, repeate 2/3 times, then turn down to sencible volume).
[/quote]

... a process known as 'ringing out' the monitors. Exactly right, and especially useful in the monitor aux channels. One needs a graphic for each monitor channel.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be handy for honing in on troublesome room nodes - I considered this myself when I realised how inflexible my LMII's eq section is for this purpose. However, I realised a parametric would be better suited to this and ended up getting a Carvin BX700 head. 4 band semi parametric combined with 10 band graphic. I use one section for general tone shaping and the other for adjusting for room anomalies. Sounds great everytime now, and consistent!

In answer to the OP's question though. As other have stated, rack eq units are usually made to run at line level, so would be better suited going in the fx loop (assuming it's a line level loop).

Putting it in front of the amp would also change how the preamp reacts. If it's tube amp being pushed hard, boosting low or highs would make the amp sound markedly different. Putting the eq in the loop would allow you to retain a consistent tone and just sculpt it for each room.