Why become a member? ×

A 'really clean' clean boost for live work...

Walker

Hello all,

We have a couple of numbers in our set list that require me to turn up my volume just a bit for a whole song or just part of a song.

I don't want my tone to change, I just want increased volume. I'm a big fan of 'simple stuff', especially in a live playing situation.

Will a clean boost pedal (with any tone controls set flat) do this for me?

Clean boost pedals seem to range from 30 quid to hundreds. As I don't want tone shaping, will a simple EHX LPB-1 be OK or am I better off stumping up the extra for an Xotic or Basswitch pedal?

Cheers

Chris

You could use a graphic EQ pedal and just boost all the frequencies equally, that way you'll also have a tool that can deal with with any dodgy room acoustics. For instance http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=153

Depends a lot on the amp.

If you have a valve in the preamp (or solid state drive function) then any increased input signal will give more grit. but if you have an FX loop then you get a level boost after the preamp stage.

So something like the TC Spark / Suhr Koko Boost / DOD BiFET Preamp etc etc in the loop will give you an increase in volume without a tone change unless you actually want one.

Sometimes a boost is not about increasing the volume equally, but making it cut more. So sometimes a mid boost is better than a flat boost. A good EQ pedal gives you both options.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1416240973' post='2608205']
You could use a graphic EQ pedal and just boost all the frequencies equally, that way you'll also have a tool that can deal with with any dodgy room acoustics. For instance [url="http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=153"]http://www.bossus.co...p?ProductId=153[/url]
[/quote]
Or just use the level control on it. :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1416242407' post='2608220']
You could set to the louder setting during sound-check, then back off the volume knob to 'normal'..? When the need arises, turn up the wick. When no longer required, dial back to 'normal'.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

This is how i do it. Works well for me

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1416242407' post='2608220']
You could set to the louder setting during sound-check, then back off the volume knob to 'normal'..? When the need arises, turn up the wick. When no longer required, dial back to 'normal'.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

This, or an EQ pedal. Best way to do "clean" boost in my experience. Depends a lot on the amp though.

• 1 month later...

I tend to like the volume flat out on the bass and once the onboard pre is set, ( and it doesn't need moving much )
I would back off the presense for that rear pickup style and that is about it.

Pet hate, set sound check levels and then everyone messes forever thereafter...??
Wtf was the soundcheck all about then..?? :lol: