Why become a member? ×

Boss SYB-5 Whats your honest opinion?

krispn

It's pretty dreadful imo. Fine for a bedroom muck about toy, but there's no way of even think about gigging one. Too erratic.

You will get some guys saying that it's all about playing cleanly and making sure the sound going in is as clear as possible. But, that's just not always possible.

If you're wanting to play synth sounds from your bass, then you're better to go down either the separate pedals route (wet octaver, dirt, filter & whatever else you fancy), or get a midi bass & plug it into the Arturia (the IR midi bass gets a thumbs up from many users on OBW).

I'm in minority that actually find SYB-5 useful, although you have to play very, very cleanly in order for it to track well. It excels the Digitech synth in sound department. I even had two units for 3-4 years, until I sold them both and went the otjer route (IE Subterranea, fuzz+filters...)

Edited by DiscoTetak

Buy a synth keyboard and use that instead. Much easier and more intuitive when playing with the oscillating effects etc.

Novation Mini-Nova is well worth a look as is the MicroKorg. Less than £200 (second hand) and much more useful and tweakable than pedals.

Truckstop

The Behringher BSY-600 is a SYB clone with better tracking (IME. Do some "Organic Wobble" research and you'll see it's pretty highly reccomended, especially for the price!), and in many circles is considered better. Just the construction is pretty weak.

If you're interested in them they are pretty good and worth looking into since they don't cost a whole lot (£30-40 new). I combo one with the Digitech BSW, got both for less than £70 incl delivery which is neat!

Will never be a proper synth though, but it's own cool sound!