Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin Pro 2 body recommendations

72deluxe

Hello everybody

I'm not sure if this is in the right part of the forum or whether it should be in the 'repairs and technical' section but I was looking for some advice.

I recently was fortunate enough to buy a Warwick Dolphin Pro 2, which is a Japanese-made one from the mid 90s (although I can't find a serial number anywhere on this thing - where do I look??) and has a slim maple neck and an ash body, and sounds wildly different the swamp ash bass I have with an ovangkol neck.

The neck and headstock is fine but unfortunately, the body is a bit bashed up and has a few dinks in it, and looks like a few places have been filled (as if holes lurk beneath). The bass is dark brown (almost black) but I was wondering if anyone knows what the basses look like underneath in case I could get it sanded down?

Does anyone have any pictures of Pro 2s that have undergone such sanding down? I couldn't find many pictures of them!

Also, does anyone have recommendations of which colour hardware to put on it? It has mixed black and gold hardware (yuck!) and I'd like one colour only - either gold or black - does anyone have any pictures of their ash basses with black or gold hardware?

Thanks!
Rich

I own a (black) Pro II and mine has silver hardware, so another colour option for you. The serial number is on the top/end of the headstock! ;)

I can't say I've ever seen an unfinished/natural bodied Pro II which leads me to think they are generally solid/burst colours for a reason...unattractive wood selection.

Be aware that it is an absolute bugga to get some of the solid colours off Warwick basses and Nitromorse rarely shifts it.

I had a Dolphin in Afzelia, with the set neck rather than the through neck..I think mine was the entry model but the timber had a gourgeous red tint and grain. I hadn't even heard of Afzelia till I owned this bass.

IIRC the serial No was stamped in the headstock but could easily be missed. Mine came with black hardware. I really loved the range in tones but couldn't get on with a 26 fret neck...sold it to a fella in Oz through the Warwick forum. If you can find the serial No I'm sure somebody on that forum could shed a bit more light.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1416259870' post='2608482']
I had a Dolphin in Afzelia, with the set neck rather than the through neck..I think mine was the entry model but the timber had a gourgeous red tint and grain. I hadn't even heard of Afzelia till I owned this bass.

IIRC the serial No was stamped in the headstock but could easily be missed. Mine came with black hardware. I really loved the range in tones but couldn't get on with a 26 fret neck...sold it to a fella in Oz through the Warwick forum. If you can find the serial No I'm sure somebody on that forum could shed a bit more light.
[/quote]

Pro I, SN and Pro II basses are very different animals... less frets on the Pro II. ;)

A naked Pro II. Fairly unremarkable wood, I dont know what the original finish was either.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dazer/media/BASS/1353826_1392391965_zpse614fec9.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/dazer/BASS/1353826_1392391965_zpse614fec9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks for the info and pictures! Mine is indeed the cheaper Pro II and only has 24 frets, not 26. The wood does look unremarkable - I see now why they painted it!

There is one here that looks significantly better: [url="http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=2387"]http://www.thelowend...opic.php?t=2387[/url]

All my other wicks have serial numbers stamped on the back of the headstock so I will take a look for this one.

I'll have a thin about what to do with it; does anyone know if they are the original Warwick bridges or the newer solid brass things? I only ask because there's a world of difference between the prices on Thomann...

Edited by 72deluxe

I'll grab some pics but to add to the confusion, here's a sanded Pro II that doesn't look dreadful: http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/thumbs3/warwick-dolphin-pro-ii-884585.jpg

The plot thickens...

I've found the serial number on the end of the headstock, I'll see what Warwick says about it.

Hi Martyn! Hope all is well. That's a lovely Dolphin and less beat up than mine (yours looks immaculate). Mine looks like it has suffered from its weird shape and been scuffed around the edges like Gibson Firebirds/Thunderbirds do.
I was amazed at the richness of the sound. The chrome hardware doesn't look bad on that. So many choices to make....

Rich - Hi, yep - hope all is well at your side.
Not sure if you saw the Dolphin on your visit- think it may have been at the rehearsal space, as it's usually my main squeeze?
It's in pretty good nick for age (and shape).
Would like to see pics of your - unless it's horrendous I'd leave it as it is.

OK so it's late and I've got photos! You can see there's a few holes here and there, which is a pity - on the front, on the side, and on the other side. And bashed around the edges too :(

Pictures here: [url="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3vzHZmGDdwKLXFKeFNneTctaVU"]https://drive.google...LXFKeFNneTctaVU[/url]

As you can see, it looks fine from a distance but has holes all over the place! And none of the hardware matches!

Edited by 72deluxe

I emailed Warwick and HP Wilfer replied - "[i]it's a Dolphin Pro II from Germany, June 1990 made in Eggolsheim[/i]", the 49th to be built.

I am not sure how this fits in with the Dolphin Pro II history regarding moving production to Japan after the German subcontractor Shadow Pickups produced lower standard basses - the main problems were with the necks (they weren't straight). This neck appears to be straight and perfectly playable, so it's likely among the "good" 400 German Dolphin Pro IIs (the rest of the faulty ones were destroyed, apparently about 300 of them). Production seems to have moved to Japan around September 1991, so this one doesn't have the active/passive switch that is found on Japanese ones.

Looks like I'll need a bunch of batteries as I can't rely on switching to passive when it goes flat!

Now a poll on replacement hardware colours..... I hate the mixed gold and black (but I'll keep them in a bag somewhere).

And yes, this does make the Dolphin the first BO model made by Warwick!

Edited by 72deluxe

Interesting, I've had a few emails in the past with the people who man the HP Wilfer Inbox and it appears you've got more sense than ever did.

From what I've read before - Warwick did indeed subcontract out the manufacture of these.
Firstly to a German company -as you say most of which were bought up by Warwick and destroyed - although some remain.
The secondly to a Japanese Manufacturer.

I'm not sure how to prove either way but I believe mine is MIJ - I can't find a serial number on mine.
Mine does have the pull function on volume knob for passive EQ bypass. Had not come across the information before that the MIJ have passive option and the MIG ones don't.
Would be interested to know what versions other owners have.

Haha I did wonder if it was a "manned" inbox - I thought that replies were coming back quite quick for a busy owner. I guess I'll never know....

Yours appears to have a different finish than others - I can only come across flat colours but yours is blended?

The Japanese manufacturer was Moridaira who apparently did some work for Fender and whole bunch of instrument manufacturers.

As you can see mine is dinked and pitted all over the place so I am not sure what to do to restore its former glory. Sounds great, but needs polishing around the edges a bit I feel.

I notice that Karlfer knows where you live in order to "liberate" your Dolphin but in the state mine is in, nobody will even want to know where I live haha

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1416307399' post='2608809']
[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/2jfg7th.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

That's nice!
I kinda like the two tone hardware on the black/brown one. Very early one too. Good score.

I've been looking at a 91 model that's from the Japanese factory.

What's a fair price for these £500ish?

Edited by Dazed

I had a black Jap one which I sold to a friend. Great bass; I actually preferred it to all but one (my '91 Dolphin Pro 1) of the Warwicks I've owned. It was miles better than the '96 Pro 1 I had, and probably one of my favourite basses that I've ever owned. I occasionally try and buy it back, but without success (he loves it and gets a tremendous tone out of it, better than I ever did).