Why become a member? ×

At home is a box... Danelectro DC Bass

AndyTravis

So very excited, a patient wait since the late 90's...

A black Danelectro DC59 bass is waiting at home, I've got to admit, it's a blind faith purchase, but I've always wanted one since I saw it in the 1990's adverts in Bassist magazine.

I'm also going to have a go at making a 5 string version and this arriving will not only be a great template, but a working bass too.

Pics when I get home.

Giddy.

It came up on eBay, and I got in touch with the seller, came to an agreement and it arrived today!

It's a 1999, Doesn't look 15 months old, let alone 15 years!

Need to tweak a little. But it's great fun - and very pretty.

http://instagram.com/p/vjQ_bHOQd8/

It's currently sat on my knee 😄

After decorating the bathroom (painful...) I got an hour to play through my AmpLink kit and the GK app, the best I could do with the mini folk in bed.

There's a lot going on in there.

Played through the Beatles stuff I have (red double album) and it pulls that sound off; having owned a hofner violin and a Rick at various points it seems to sit between the two.

I've got a silver sparkle one and wouldn't part with it for anything. Had been searching for one for forever and found one down here for mere peanuts.
Always loved Fat Mike's DC and a couple of other fave punk players have wielded them over the years.

Missed an original 70's one in Black on Trademe last week for only $395 NZ!!! It was on there for about 2 hours...
GUTTED!!!!
If only i could get a commie red one...

Anyone know where to get an aftermarket pg?

Well, after a frantic rummage in my toolkit for an appropriate truss rod key.

Neck off, tweak...

It's perfect, the action is low and buzz free; I'm pretty surprised how low it has gone now I've lowered the bridge height too.

I did have it super low (as low as my Kingbass was 😂) but elected to bring it up a tiny bit for 'digging in' room.

Monday's rehearsal will be fun.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1416439141' post='2610358']

Is the Longhorn wood?
[/quote]

Think the current and recent Chinese made reissue basses have a mix of the trapezoidal bridge plate and fender strat style saddles (not sure on the 'dead on' version) these were the 90's Korean made ones and had the rosewood all in one saddle.

Intonation is not 100% when on a tuner, but sounds alright considering the rudimentary design.

Note of caution: lowering the action with strings at normal tension is no problem. Raising it back up again can sometimes cause the steel bridge plate to bow in the middle - as I found to my cost.

The steel plate can sometimes bow just from being under normal tension for a few years. If so, flatten it back, drill a hole in the body and insert a round-headed screw so that it supports the centre of the plate just in front of the intonation screw slot.

Edited by skankdelvar