Why become a member? ×

Do pitch shifters work?

LemonCello

So I bought a Behringer pitch shifter (not wanting to spend loads without having tried one out) so I can just use the one Bass instead of down tuning another for one song. In short, it's crap. I know, I know I didn't spend much so what can I expect!

I've heard the Eventide works well, but at £400 it ain't cheap and is enough to buy a decent fiver (which is what I'm doing).

Anyone got a view, do any of them actually work well?

Cheers

LC

PS, Do any of the multi-effects do this - Boss GT10b for example?

Guest FretNoMore

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think you have the choice of EHX Pitchfork, Digitech the Drop or Digitech Bass Whammy - other than those you are talking big money for anything that works without too much latency.[/font][/color]

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1416343442' post='2609286']
So I bought a Behringer pitch shifter (not wanting to spend loads without having tried one out) so I can just use the one Bass instead of down tuning another for one song. In short, it's crap. I know, I know I didn't spend much so what can I expect!

I've heard the Eventide works well, but at £400 it ain't cheap and is enough to buy a decent fiver (which is what I'm doing).

Anyone got a view, do any of them actually work well?

Cheers

LC

PS, Do any of the multi-effects do this - Boss GT10b for example?
[/quote]

i used to have one of these, as a pitch shift ie replacement for a whammy in a smaller footprint they work well, as do they for adding in a 5th above to make chords etc, sadly they are very digital sounding so its not just your sound an octave higher say.

unfortunately apsrt from the more expensive pedals there isnt a cheap fix, i used to play in a band which needed to drop d stuff just tuned for that track then back up.

andy

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1416427580' post='2610158']

im guessing he means tune down to the lowest then capo up, but its seems easier to just tune down for the one tune unless as i said its a drastic tuning change

andy
[/quote]

This

A pitch shifter isn't so great because the signal it's not do clean and sounds a bit weird

Natural is better

Capo will do that and you can move it around where you like... Obviously it relies on intonation of the instrument

Crap intonation means crap sounding capo'd tunes lol

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1416490794' post='2610769']
A pitch shifter isn't so great because the signal it's not do clean and sounds a bit weird

Natural is better
[/quote]
I don't really agree with you there. It's really subjective to what you want to sound like & what style of music it is.

In the OP's case, if he's playing rock, country or something that is guitar based then either a 5 string or a detuned 2nd 4 string is most likely the better option, but that isn't a given.
There's a few rock bands that have the bass' core sound being the sound of a pitch shifter or octaver. In my acoustica folk band, I used a healthy amount of fx on the bass.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1416555673' post='2611352']

I don't really agree with you there. It's really subjective to what you want to sound like & what style of music it is.

In the OP's case, if he's playing rock, country or something that is guitar based then either a 5 string or a detuned 2nd 4 string is most likely the better option, but that isn't a given.
There's a few rock bands that have the bass' core sound being the sound of a pitch shifter or octaver. In my acoustica folk band, I used a healthy amount of fx on the bass.
[/quote]

Yes it is really subjective to the application

Sometimes though if you tune it too low.. The pedals say no and tracking goes all wonkey donkey lol