Why become a member? ×

roland pk5 pedlas .... but which sound module to buy?

ziggydolphinboy

Hi all im going to take the plunge and buy some roland pk5 pedlas .
just wondering what sort of sound modules anyone has used?
i was thinking of getting say the korg jv1080 etc .
Im gonnav be playing in a three peice band so wanna have some tones underneath my toes.
Thinking Rush ,Marilion, Dream thetre, etc.

im also gonna run this through a separate head and cab and keep my bass signal going to a different head and cab .

Thanks for youre ideas
ziggy.

I have a set and a DSI MoPho mono synth (the yellow box on the floor in the pic) that I fire from the pedals of a keyboard in a MIDI chain. I had considered running a soft synth from a laptop and you might be able to do something with one of the IK Sampletank free modules via an iPad or phone, but as I have neither I couldn't say. The MoPho ended up being the simpler option with three banks of sounds and programmable - though I tend to only use two or three of the set patches 'Bass Pedals' & 'Tom Sawyer' (can you guess what the latter does :lol: ). The keyboard controller (Roland A300) also give me added range and some control over the MoPho, including patch changes if the synth is tucked away on the floor or back at the amp.

Tend to run mine straight to the PA with foldback but have been known to use an EBS Microbass II as a mixer to the single bass amp - I need a couple of small cabs to be able to run the Streamliner & TH350 as dedicated rigs for bass & synth

I had toyed with one of the Moog Phatty modules or the Minitaur, but the latter came out [i]just[/i] after I got my PK5 and the MoPho did what I needed and I picked up cheaper on eBay

I know of another BP in a three piece that runs his to a Roland module & plays higher range string washes & similar to fill some holes

EDIT: Also FWIW after an exchange of emails with dimensions Roqsolid adapted one of their bags for me to fit the pedals. It is, or was listed on their site but I cannot immediately track it down at the mo. I had a soft case with added pockets for foam inserts to protect the pedals - though they are pretty tank like so you might not be bothered.

Edited by WalMan

If you're going for the full Prog experience then the Moog Minitaur has to be the option. Small, not too expensive second hand (or pre-owned in trendy speak) and it has [i]that[/i] sound: the Taurus preset. I have the actual Taurus 3 pedals but I am tempted to go PK-5 and Minitaur for a smaller footprint (sic).

I picked up some PK5 pedals several years ago whilst in a band that needed some basic keys sounds to flesh out a few tunes. I managed to find a Roland JV1080 on ebay that had some additional sound cards fitted (orchestral, vintage synths and keyboards of 60's and 70's) so I had a large library to play with. There are some decent Moog samples on the vintage synth card among many others. The thing I liked with the Roland was that by using 'performance' mode rather than 'patch' you could mix a number of patches together to get something that sounded fuller than an individual patch on its own. I guess going with some sort of laptop driven interface is probably the modern way to go but the JV1080 was flight cased and very robust in a gigging band.

I have used the Roland PK5's to good effect with the smaller Roland module JV1010. With the Vintage synth board there are some good Moog bass pedal sounds. I then graduated to the Moog Taurus 3's which were the bees knees, but in a custom flightcase weighed so much and needed 2 people to move them around.
These days I use the Keith Mcmillen 12 step, (available from Juno Records in the UK) It's an amazing bit of kit..... much more flexible than the PK5's, cheaper, lighter, smaller, and I run them into a Moog Sub Phatty. I still have the JV1010 which is an option and I did consider the minitaur which is ideal with the 12 step, especially for its small footprint. Good luck....

Regards, Paul.

[attachment=177778:IMG_0802.jpg]

Edited by paulmcnamara

I use my pk5 to trigger samples and also play soft synths. In rehearsal it goes to a Roland Keyboard Amp. Live it goes straight into the PA via a line level DI box, and monitored through the vocal wedge monitors. There's a thread in Other Instruments (I think) that goes into much more detail.

Edited to add thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222721-foot-keyboards-or-something/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222721-foot-keyboards-or-something/[/url]

Edited by RalphDWilson