Why become a member? ×

Micro Compressors

rushers

Hey all,

Been trying to get my hands on a Fairfield Circuitry accountant compressor for over 8 weeks now and the only UK distributor seems to be Guitar FX direct and it's just hopeless really so I've given up.

My other alternatives seem to be

Xotic SP Compressor - can't find any online feedback about what it's like with bass, any advice?
Malekko Omicron Compressor
Mooer Audio Yellow

Really open to any ideas, budget of about £150

Let me know your thoughts or experiences!

Many thanks

you want one just because of size? I haven't been able to convince myself to move below standard enclosure (M87) so I can retain some metering. But it is out of place on my nano board so VERY interested in high quality micro options. I had my eye on an SFX comp, which I assume remains a custom option but did not go into full production.

Edited by RichF

i had increasingly huge boards for years but realised i wasn't using it in the studio and not getting the value in crappy gigs, so tiny became the priority and I have never looked back. My issue with compressors is that I have a totally passive precision, active Warwick and very active Jazz - i need metering to fine tune when i change between them. This is a bit of a hassle to be honest and a simple "one knob" solution would be great but I might need to simplify my bass set up.

If you can build or get someone to build one for you, I would suggest the John Hollis designed 'Flatline'.... a great little optical compressor. Can fit in to 1590A box no problem & Madbean ([url="http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html"]http://madbeanpedals...ects/index.html[/url]) do nice PCB wilth layout as the 'Afterlife' compressor [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/after.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...ews/after.shtml[/url]

Edited by nick

defintely skip the Mooer stuff - it's crap!!
I had the blue Mooer compressor and it was truly horrible on both bass and guitar.
I have tried quite a few compressors and theone's that have stuck are the Keeley 4-knob and the HBE CPR

they may both be around £175 new; but could probably be picked up for closer to £100 used.
The smaller box CPR would be good and the 2knob Keeley has the attack and clip controls on inside.

You might wnat to visit here for great compressor reviews too
http://www.ovnilab.com/

Edited by Bassnut62

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rushers' timestamp='1416404800' post='2609820']
Hey all,

Been trying to get my hands on a Fairfield Circuitry accountant compressor for over 8 weeks now and the only UK distributor seems to be Guitar FX direct and it's just hopeless really so I've given up
[/quote]

Why not just buy one straight from Fairfield's website?
Edit: they are available on EBay.co.uk too

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='rushers' timestamp='1416404800' post='2609820']
Hey all,

Been trying to get my hands on a Fairfield Circuitry accountant compressor for over 8 weeks now and the only UK distributor seems to be Guitar FX direct and it's just hopeless really so I've given up.

My other alternatives seem to be

Xotic SP Compressor - can't find any online feedback about what it's like with bass, any advice?
Malekko Omicron Compressor
Mooer Audio Yellow

Really open to any ideas, budget of about £150

Let me know your thoughts or experiences!

Many thanks
[/quote]
I'd go with prymaxevintage. That's where I got my accountant from. A fun pedal. and primaxe are god to deal with whilst not too expensive even including shipping.

Edited by abc

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1417363839' post='2619572']

I'd go with prymaxevintage. That's where I got my accountant from. A fun pedal. and primaxe are god to deal with whilst not too expensive even including shipping.
[/quote]

Prymaxe don't have any in :-( I've just ordered one from from an EBay retailer. Can't wait!

For micro comps, the only one I think is worth checking is the Fairfield "The accountant".

Bongo at Ovnilab was impressed and it also gives you some dirt when set right.

I am personally quite happy with my EBS Multicomp, simple and fattening.

I have tried to find a used 3Leaf PWNZR but they are so hard to find around here... that would be a cool option too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update on my Accountant compressor - without it, the resonant peaks of my dub siren effect make it unuseable - think damaged PA and deafness. With the Accountant in its limiter setting, I can crank the siren and it stays even, and then easily adjust the level to the perfect volume. I'm a happy man :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

The SP is quite good, but there is a bass roll-off going on. And it can be a little hissy at high compression settings.

If you want tiny, then the Henretta Orange Whip is probably the smallest of all - or maybe the HoTone Komp. Different worlds between the quality of those 2 though.

I'm looking for another Comp, and I'm going with the EQD The Warden. Has great reviews, no low end loss and top mounted jacks for a bit of space.