Why become a member? ×

How does nut slot height effect setup?.

Twincam

Ok i fitted a new nut and cut the slots to pretty much the minimum height, no open string buzz and a very small paper thin gap when fretting at the third, no back buzzing on fretted notes. And always thought this was the right way having a nut very low.

But im now thinking if i had it higher i could of used less relief. Without getting back clank of a fretted note where the strings touch behind the note. So instead of using 0.15 relief i could of had a straighter neck. Obviously i know in the lower frets i would of had a slightly higher action. but i could of had a more even action all the way along the neck.

So i kinda need some guidance on what is best. I know this is kinda subjective but any advice would be very welcome.

No, a higher nut doesn't have the same effect as you are saying, you will still need the same amount of neck relief. Think of it this way - a higher nut effectively gives you a lot of relief behind the point that you are fretting (which just makes lower notes harder to fret). It makes no difference at all to the height of the vibrating part of the string which has been 'anchored at that fret and still needs the same amount of neck relief to play without buzzing.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1416428256' post='2610171']
No, a higher nut doesn't have the same effect as you are saying, you will still need the same amount of neck relief. Think of it this way - a higher nut effectively gives you a lot of relief behind the point that you are fretting (which just makes lower notes harder to fret). It makes no difference at all to the height of the vibrating part of the string which has been 'anchored at that fret and still needs the same amount of neck relief to play without buzzing.
[/quote]

Think you slightly have my meaning wrong. I know it wont affect the vibrating part of a plucked note that is pretty obvious haha. However i can actually play with almost zero relief with no problems no buzz or clanking etc, other then as i fret a note i get a back clank from nut to fretted note resting or hitting the frets, if i have a low nut. So im thinking a higher nut would allow me to play with no or little relief and avoid the back clank. I have no problems with buzzing or clanking from the fretted note to the bridge. Its just behind nut to fretted note i get noises. If i make sense?.

I do know a higher nut would also make fretting at the lower positions slightly harder.

The pickup isn't 'seeing' that part of the string vibrating between the nut and where you're fretting it, you might hear some noise but that shouldn't colour what's coming out of your amp. As for the speaking length of the string; the right amount of relief ensures there's no fret buzz at either the nut or body end of the neck - if you have it too flat you'll probably have to have a higher action than necessary to get rid of fret buzz near the nut, too much relief and you'll get fret buzz at the dusty end. If you have a minute gap between the string and the first fret when you hold the string down at the third fret then that to me sounds like a properly cut nut.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1416433132' post='2610274']
The pickup isn't 'seeing' that part of the string vibrating between the nut and where you're fretting it, you might hear some noise but that shouldn't colour what's coming out of your amp. As for the speaking length of the string; the right amount of relief ensures there's no fret buzz at either the nut or body end of the neck - if you have it too flat you'll probably have to have a higher action than necessary to get rid of fret buzz near the nut, too much relief and you'll get fret buzz at the dusty end. If you have a minute gap between the string and the first fret when you hold the string down at the third fret then that to me sounds like a properly cut nut.
[/quote]

Yeah makes sense. I am actually a little paranoid about all these noises as they are loud. However ive listened in detail and as you say there not really coming through the amp. Well they are a little bit but nothing would be heard in the mix etc. i think im being overly sensitive maybe.