Why become a member? ×

Fiddled to death

Wonky2

Yes I'm in tune, amp is in corner but not flat to the wall.....

As I say.. Is there any thing to note with the fact that at fag break i crank the amp, find a better sound then when they return and i turn down a bit the sound is much better? Valves not getting hot enough ? We only play at a low volume, drummer uses brushes all the time....

And yes, the wooly wobbly sound continues when they stop and i continue to play/ fiddle....

Currently using a very similar rig; Fender Jazz ('75 AVRI with nickel rounds) through Mesa Walkabout head / Mesa Diesel 1x15" EV cab and / or Mesa Diesel 2x10" EV cab. All tone controls flat - I don't touch them.
Very good advice above, the only other thing I can suggest trying is changing the 2 preamp valves - I changed the stock Mesa ones for Harma cryo ones and there was a noticeable improvement in tone and clarity, and a smoother overdrive.

Stick with it! :)

I can empathise.

I have had this with amps and basses. I had a lovely USA G&L L2K which was a joy, but I had the same issue. Just twiddled and twiddled and twiddled, trying to find a 'sound'. They all sounded good, but not quite what I wanted.

What I wanted was a P bass with the tone backed off a touch. So I got another one.

Amp wise I now run an Orange Bass Terror.

P Bass + Bass Terror is the ultimate plug in, sound good combination for me.

The wobbling bass sound you describe sounds like something resonating but since you have the rig on a solid floor (concrete? stone?) I suppose it isn't the floor itself, though maybe you could try raising the rig to see if that helps. I wonder if when you turn the amp up are you simply drowning out what might be resonating? I used to rehearse in a large hall at one time and even with a 120 watt amp I could play certain notes and get the ceiling mounted hot air ducting to resonate alongside the drummer's snare. The deep bottom end you say you prefer might not be helping matters either, maybe try backing off the lows a bit to see if that helps?

If it's wobbling then it's a phase problem. An echo is arriving back at the cab and cancelling out the outgoing note. Or they're bouncing round the room and cancelling each other out. Either way, Ignore the EQ for now, set everything flat and then try to block out the echo in the room.

If you can, try and get some soft fabrics in there. Hanging on the walls if you can. An old duvet, coats, curtains. Anything to stop the room ringing out....

The fact that only low frequencies that cause the problem might be an issue of resonance so look for partition walls, windows blocked with plywood etc and damp them.

You could also look at the kick drum and try damping that as an experiment, just in case (are there others stored in there)

Might be a complete blind alley but I'd look at the room before ditching the amp

The room isn't perfect, but does have thick curtains hanging on the walls..... My amp is backed against these walls but the facing wall is bare...... Could explain it.... Window openings are secondary glazed to so I guess the air space between them could boom.
Drummers kit is a bag of nails but he's wicked and so how makes it sound right..... But kd skin could be an issue....

The rooms not great, good hard floor but high ceiling.

What do others think?. Can they hear it?. have you tried it without the extra cab?.

We all hear things different ive sworn ive heard odd noises and others haven't and vice versa. And our ears and brains will respond with slight variation to others. Hence why people like different brands etc. It could be a case that the amp is putting out a frequency you just don't get on with i suppose.

As i said before you don't need the stress and second guessing you should be enjoying playing. You have a lovely combo there but you shouldn't force yourself to like it. I don't see whats wrong with going back to Ampeg which you clearly get on with.

Thanks twincam, I'm leaning that way...
I have only used it as the combo, not with ext cab.... I just got the cab for live stuff but w haven't done any yet just rehersal and studio, that was always the intention of the job...session stuff that has worked well and the collective agree to continue working together... Live stuff will follow at some point...

Funny thing is, they said it sounded fine, but I think they were just saying that as I was clearly distracted by it..... Trying to gt a sweet "plum" tone warm and round but not boomy and floppy at the same time....

I knew the room was poor and that's why I wheeled in the little ampeg to see if that just sounded kack too ....plugged it in and that immediate ampeg tone was there.

It may be the cas that of me ,that specific and very easily identified "ampeg tone" is what I crave..... I've never owned one, just used that little ampeg rocket 100.... BUT on the other hand, dispir the mesa sound being lost the ampeg sounds thin and has less body or depth to the sound.

I'll try the mesa a fw more times and if it doesn't suit me I'll just gt it lists on here.

Would b a shame though, the amps reputation speaks for itself and I know making the change would be a comprise in quality by a long chalk.

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1416608862' post='2611976']
What do others think?. Can they hear it?. have you tried it without the extra cab?.

We all hear things different ive sworn ive heard odd noises and others haven't and vice versa. And our ears and brains will respond with slight variation to others. Hence why people like different brands etc. It could be a case that the amp is putting out a frequency you just don't get on with i suppose.

As i said before you don't need the stress and second guessing you should be enjoying playing. You have a lovely combo there but you shouldn't force yourself to like it. I don't see whats wrong with going back to Ampeg which you clearly get on with.
[/quote]
I've had similar experience playing in a large square undamped room with a very high ceiling. The band used to ask each other "who's playing that bit?" - turned out to be weird harmonics which sounded like another instrument. We quite missed the effect when we started rehearsing elsewhere. :)

Boomy and woolly bass is usually a problem in the 50-250Hz range so reducing the frequencies in that range might help, as might moving the combo away from the wall and raising it. Just a question of experimentation. It's never going to sound like and Ampeg though, so if you like the character of the Ampeg sound that's the way to go.