Why become a member? ×

Security

steve-soar

After seeing this; [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457811"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457811[/url], I was wondering if Basschatter's have records of serial numbers and descriptions/photo's of their gear, just incase this ever happened.
Also, do you have proper insurance to cover all eventualities?

I was looking at this only yesterday... After a bit of digging around I found a company called musicgaurd which seemed to offer the cover I wanted but having no experience of them I am continuing to look around

[quote name='steve-soar' post='255286' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:21 PM']After seeing this; [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457811"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457811[/url], I was wondering if Basschatter's have records of serial numbers and descriptions/photo's of their gear, just incase this ever happened.
Also, do you have proper insurance to cover all eventualities?[/quote]

I have everything on a spreadsheet which lists for each instrument the serial, how much I paid for it, where it came from, any marks or damage to it, if it's in a case - a bit sad really!
Oh and I have photos of everything including the serials. I should have a pic done of me holding each instrument as according to Endsleigh, this is suitable proof of ownership

I had my SR4, Incase and protools stolen 18 months ago, gutting experiance and as it's how I make my living really difficult while the insurance paid out.

Moderators; would it be possible to have a stolen gear thread so members can keep an eye out for stolen gear? I would be more than happy to do the admin for it if it helps.

Lee

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='255328' date='Aug 5 2008, 12:58 PM']I hope you don't mean the SR4 I bought off you! :)[/quote]

Well at that price mate :huh: Nah it was the my Trans red one, my itwas my favorite bass and main gigging axe for 10 years :huh:

I'm with Musicguard for liability cover and have an extended home policy with Zurich which is very good value.

Point of note though !!!!!!! If you take digital photos of your pride and joy then print them out. That way when someone nicks your laptop at the sametime you aren't left high and dry !!! :)

I was thinking about this the other day. Just moved into my own place and I think I had better go for it. if they did get nicked though no amount of money would make up for it because I couldn't find another!

What do you use to estimate the value, is it simply a case of insuring it for what you think it is worth to YOU, or do they value the items themselves etc? I was quoted about £70 a year for £2000 cover but never got the quote via email with a breakdown.

Cheers
ped

Ped, with brand new things like my Retroactive I valued it at exactly what I paid.

With 2nd hand things I either value at what I paid or what the current market value is if I got a bargain!

EDIT: that often means I've valued things at a higher price than I paid. Does that constitue insurance fraud?

Edited by Merton

[quote name='ped' post='255514' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:06 PM']I was thinking about this the other day. Just moved into my own place and I think I had better go for it. if they did get nicked though no amount of money would make up for it because I couldn't find another!

What do you use to estimate the value, is it simply a case of insuring it for what you think it is worth to YOU, or do they value the items themselves etc? I was quoted about £70 a year for £2000 cover but never got the quote via email with a breakdown.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

It all depends on personal circumstances/location of course, but I pay the following:
Public liability for £1m from musicguard = £25
£10000 of 'out of home' cover with Zurich (based on living in Sarf London) = £200 (including the rest of my furniture/stuff in my house). Crucially the individual item limit is about £2000 i think.

I had specific music insurance for theft as well as liability for some time but found it was getting out of hand. Much happier with it separated.

I renewed mine recently with Musicguard. Was slightly shocked to discover that the replacement value of my gear was over £11k! (I do own a few "high end" acoustics which makes up a fair chunk plus a reasonable PA).

I also keep a spreadsheet and photos of all the gear with serials etc. Well worth it as I couldn't afford to lose that much gear - wether it's theft, fire, whatever.

Andy :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='255529' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:25 PM']I've yet to find musical instrument insurance that's doesn't seem pointless.

Most have conditions along the lines of "you must keep your equipment in an armoured vehicle at all times and you must sit next to it with a big gun in your hand".[/quote]

Exactly... hence dropping it for extended home cover, which is 'all risks'. Its covered the same as having your ipod nicked/squashed as they don't approch things assuming that everything comes in an armoured flightcase, and that you are a musician (insurance translation = muppet)

Just check the small print though. Lloyds didn't like my plans...

[quote name='Merton' post='255519' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:12 PM']EDIT: that often means I've valued things at a higher price than I paid. Does that constitue insurance fraud?[/quote]

Insurance will pay out the value of the item for today's price so if you've valued it based on that then don't worry. If you value things at stupid prices then you would get marked as possibly fraudulent. When I worked in home insurance claims a lot of people would be wanting the £2000 that they paid 10 years ago for the tv that now costs £100.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='255553' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:43 PM']Insurance will pay out the value of the item for today's price so if you've valued it based on that then don't worry. If you value things at stupid prices then you would get marked as possibly fraudulent. When I worked in home insurance claims a lot of people would be wanting the £2000 that they paid 10 years ago for the tv that now costs £100.[/quote]

That's cool then, phew :)

[quote name='ped' post='255556' date='Aug 5 2008, 04:45 PM']What about something very unusual and basically impossible to compare to anything else value wise? I would have no idea how much to ask for my fretted bass for example[/quote]

You would have to provide everything you may have then. Receipts, photos etc etc. Also you may be asked to take that stuff to a luthier or someone to see if they could do a valuation to also submit to the insurance company.

I just sorted the contents insurance funnily enough but they wont TOUCH musical instruments. He said separate insurance is the only way to go. Not sure that is strictly true but I think I would prefer to do that anyway so I can take the policy with me when I move again etc.