Why become a member? ×

Which lightweight power amp to pair with a valve preamp?

Freddie75

Hi guys,

As I can't for the life of me find a rackmount kit for my genz streamliner (which I was planning to use as a poweramp for a valve preamp I'm looking at purchasing), I'm now thinking of getting a light/mid weight poweramp. It has to be something simple but powerwise I'm looking at around 800/1000 watts to pair with a Trace Elliot V-type preamp to run through a berg cn212 cab.

Any recommendations for amps that work well with this particular preamp would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Freddie

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1416490108' post='2610757']
Powersoft do good reasonable weight Class D amps with plenty of grunt. Best check the secondhand options unless you have a hotline to Santa!
[/quote] some v cheap amps use their digimod modual

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1416500343' post='2610938']
Oooh! Do tell me more :)
[/quote] internet rumour and things I've read/heard/seen suggest this series [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Alto_Professional_APX1000_Power_Amplifier/ALTO-APX1000?CAWELAID=1830891980&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CM_4qZrdjsICFfHKtAodA2gAyA"]http://www.soundsliv...CFfHKtAodA2gAyA[/url] has a digimod 1000 or higher inside..... (from a german forum)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1416490108' post='2610757']
Powersoft do good reasonable weight Class D amps with plenty of grunt. Best check the secondhand options unless you have a hotline to Santa!
[/quote]
This - Peavey do some cheap (albeit older) Class D amps in their DPC range. The one you probably want to keep an eye out for is the DPC 1400. Alternatively Dood was selling a Powersoft power amp for reasonable money last month.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1416679814' post='2612617']
This - Peavey do some cheap (albeit older) Class D amps in their DPC range. The one you probably want to keep an eye out for is the DPC 1400. Alternatively Dood was selling a Powersoft power amp for reasonable money last month.
[/quote] I missed seeing that one.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1416679814' post='2612617']
[/quote]

Ahh! I did have a Powersoft and I sold it a while back - but the one I sold last month-ish was by British company Matrix - The GT1600FX to be more accurate - a hell of a beast at 1.6Kw and under 5Kg. It was an AB amp with an oversized SMPS power supply rather than D Class. Recommended - and definitely Powersoft! Awesome amplifiers!

Incidentally, the Matrix GT Amplifiers were originally made with guitarists in mid who were specifically looking for a more 'tube-like' experience. Many Fractal Axe-Fx users have taken up these power amps for this reason. The 1600 designed with us low enders in mind too is a big beasty that can provide 800W RMS per channel or bridged at 1.6Kw if that's your bag - not that you have to turn it up that far. Anyway, I was thinking that it would pair well with a valve pre!

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1416476180' post='2610515']
Hi guys,

As I can't for the life of me find a rackmount kit for my genz streamliner (which I was planning to use as a poweramp for a valve preamp I'm looking at purchasing), I'm now thinking of getting a light/mid weight poweramp. It has to be something simple but powerwise I'm looking at around 800/1000 watts to pair with a Trace Elliot V-type preamp to run through a berg cn212 cab.

Any recommendations for amps that work well with this particular preamp would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Freddie
[/quote]

Oh! As for rack mounting, I am about to do the same - Look for a 19" rack tray on eBay like this! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWAMP-1RU-19-inch-Rack-Case-Mount-Tray-Shelf-Suits-all-19-Racks-/111473080536?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item19f45038d8

They may have a stupid name but the Behringer iNuke amps are dirt cheap, light, reliable, have a 3 year guarantee, and work well on bass (I use mine for PA subs) so long as you don't believe the quoted power ratings -- but they may be a bit too powerful for a CN212 if used bridged except for the NU1000, which is only about £120...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1416750577' post='2613136']

Oh! As for rack mounting, I am about to do the same - Look for a 19" rack tray on eBay like this! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWAMP-1RU-19-inch-Rack-Case-Mount-Tray-Shelf-Suits-all-19-Racks-/111473080536?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item19f45038d8
[/quote]

Thanks dood, I'll check those out! Will also look at the Matrix GT.

Many thanks

The only thing I'd suggest if overall weight is an issue is to check the weight of the 1U rack tray you're buying - we use these sometimes in our data centre, and they can be very heavy. Mind you, I had a Streamliner rack mount thing and that wasn't exactly light, either...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1416772868' post='2613468']
The only thing I'd suggest if overall weight is an issue is to check the weight of the 1U rack tray you're buying - we use these sometimes in our data centre, and they can be very heavy. Mind you, I had a Streamliner rack mount thing and that wasn't exactly light, either...
[/quote]

Good one - I have a wooden 3U rack which weighs like 8Kgs...more than the stuff that's in there right now.